Chilhowee Park

Discussion of the search for new Solo II pavement.
steverife

Re: Chilhowee Park

Post by steverife »

Can't say I'm too excited about the prospects of that....
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

gbwrx wrote:It is a pretty big lot. Don't know measurements compared to WS though. I would hate for another WB tire eater...but I am planning on being in ST something or other next year. As for the sweeping. That is what SM is for. :lol: But seriously you would probably just need to sweep sections of the course that we are running and not the whole lot. Backpack blower or 2 would be nice also.
You pro guys get to do your own sweeping there, I probably wouldn't run there if the pavement is that bad. :mrgreen:
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
Oberstwill

Post by Oberstwill »

Since we are having a hard time finding new spots to use, I think we should reconsider this as a viable option. Sure ti might need some work, but then again it might not need as much as thought and i am sure that some of our usual course designers could make a fun fast course with different elements than we can make at PSTCC........
William

I only own old cars.....

and I will beat you on SNOW tires............ ;)
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Oberstwill wrote:Since we are having a hard time finding new spots to use, I think we should reconsider this as a viable option. Sure ti might need some work, but then again it might not need as much as thought and i am sure that some of our usual course designers could make a fun fast course with different elements than we can make at PSTCC........
BMW has something set up there April 24 - how much different is a "driving challenge" from an autocross.

http://www.ci.knoxville.tn.us/events/chilhowee.pdf
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
Oberstwill

Post by Oberstwill »

After I leave work that day @ 3;00pm I will go over and check it out...Any other takers to meet me over there and do some preliminary investigating?
William

I only own old cars.....

and I will beat you on SNOW tires............ ;)
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

Isn't that the Street Survival school?
2013 WRX
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

If it is the Street Survival School, it would be accross the street, not near the pond or Zoo.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
whenry

Post by whenry »

It is. Mike Washington is involved and contacted me about assisting.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Me too, but it is at PSCC.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

William, tonight looks good to go see this place.. but be about 7. that too late?
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
whenry

Post by whenry »

What we really need is someone to "befriend" Sterling Owen so that we could have access to the police training facility.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

whenry wrote:What we really need is someone to "befriend" Sterling Owen so that we could have access to the police training facility.
I'm afraid to ask if there is hidden meaning with the use of quotations on that particular word. :? Yikes!
DynoBunny

Post by DynoBunny »

That lot you have pictures of is the overflow of the zoo, however if you go to the other side, under the tunnel that is usually locked to the other side of magnolia the lot is in much better shape. It's not as big as that one though. I live 2 minutes from there and am always taking my daughter to the zoo. I can snap pictures if you guys need them.
Gregory Trinkle
DynoBunny
2007 Mazdaspeed 3 GT -- DSP #13
DynoBunny

Post by DynoBunny »

So I was out yesterday and stopped by the other side of Chilhowee Park. I snapped a bunch of pictures of the lot in case anyone was interested; it's not as big as the zoo lot but it's way smoother and far out of the way, they usually have it closed off so no one is ever there.

It seems tight but I think there's a lot to work with here, I left my car in some pics for size reference, I also took a video driving around the lot if anyones interested in seeing it. Just trying to help out :wink:

The lower area with pavillion.
Coming up the hill is a bath room area nearby and that opens into the big lot.
If you were to hang a right there you would come to this big U that loops around with both ends connecting to the big lot.
Here you can see how that U is connected to the big lot and if you were to come up the hill and head left where you would turn into.
There are these little paved sections that run parrallel and connect with the big lot. I thought they could be set up for staging or traffic flow.
Here you can see how that one access road connects to the lower parking lot, then on the further side of that lot is a larger section that conects to the top lot. Hill Climb :lol:
More reference shots.

So that was a bunch of pictures but I wasn't sure if anyones every been in this lot; other than a couple man hole covers it seems to be in really decent shape. There's not much around and there's a pretty good bit of runoff in all directions, I guess the only problem is it's grassy runoff.
Gregory Trinkle
DynoBunny
2007 Mazdaspeed 3 GT -- DSP #13
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

The East Tn Corvette club was going to rent that very same Chilhowee Park and I think they wanted around $1200 plus you had to hire a off duty policeman. PER DAY!!!
They went to Pellissippi.
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy