Chilhowee Park

Discussion of the search for new Solo II pavement.
scottgib

Chilhowee Park

Post by scottgib »

has come up again. This was brought up last night and we might be able to get in; but, I also heard that the surface leaves some to be desired.

Anyone looked at it critically lately? Is there someone close that might take a look? Don't worry about size, I have that. Just look at the pavement condition and where it has many bumps that will be hard to avoid.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
budjrfan

Re: Chilhowee Park

Post by budjrfan »

i work downtown....i could swing by and take a look around lunch tomorrow. anyone i need to ask or just drive in and look?
Kelly Munsey
scottgib wrote:On a course that Brown and I both ran about 30% in first gear, with one downshift, an Impala had FTD!!!!??? Still on that course, Kelly schooled us.
Dentspeed

Post by Dentspeed »

I went over there a couple of months ago and it's not that great, but it may be manageable. Seems like I remember a lot of undulations, but I've slept since then.
2010 MINI Cooper S, DS
Trey
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

There are undulations there. Normally, it is a matter of running the course in the right direction. Atlanta region had the same issue at Turner Field and found a way to work with it.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Just drive around, it is an overflow zoo parking lot and is shared with the park. The piece of pavement in question is the larger lot north of the pond nearer to the zoo entrance.

http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com.mic ... o&resnum=1
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

I have no clue.. this isnt the lot we ran on years ago.. it was on the other side of Magnolia.

were we not concerned about east town mall being a "ruff-naaberHood"?

last time I was at this location in question,a friend of a friend got stabbed to death in broad day-light..

thinkN out loud is all..... thinkin out loud. :?
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
budjrfan

Post by budjrfan »

John Brown wrote:thinkN out loud is all..... thinkin out loud. :?
so long as we travel in and out as a group (of 75-100) and don't stop for red lights...we should be fine. :wink:
Kelly Munsey
scottgib wrote:On a course that Brown and I both ran about 30% in first gear, with one downshift, an Impala had FTD!!!!??? Still on that course, Kelly schooled us.
budjrfan

Post by budjrfan »

ummm.....no.

my opinion: like a large william blount....only worse. along with loose gravel over the entire lot, has a large pavement gap down the middle.

not very good runoff.....still has standing water from the rain on tuesday.

oh and don't forget the ducks. which i'm sure will obey the cones we have marking the course and go around. :lol:

Kelly Munsey
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I think we can work with the loose gravel by sweeping the course. If we got in and got in good, it may be worth repairing that seam. How much of a drop off Kelly?

For the ducks, I'll just bring Abby out. She's a bird dog without even training her. :P
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
PushinTheLimit

Post by PushinTheLimit »

Not the best by any means... but it looks like its workable. A little prep to get it decent and see how it goes. Another location that is close to the Knoxville area is always nice.

Would this one need to have a sound meter or not?
Michael Smith
C5 Z06
ST2 #10
budjrfan

Post by budjrfan »

thrdeye wrote:I think we can work with the loose gravel by sweeping the course. If we got in and got in good, it may be worth repairing that seam. How much of a drop off Kelly?

For the ducks, I'll just bring Abby out. She's a bird dog without even training her. :P

might want to look into paying one of those street sweepers to take a swing at it. that's an awful big lot to be tackling with a broom/.
although it is coming up in chunks in more then one place.

dropoff is only 1" at the most (not bad).

the standing water is probably the biggest issue. if it rains within 2-3 days of the event we may be limited on course design.
Kelly Munsey
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Based on the first pic, it looks like the weather has not been kind to that lot. It looked much better the last time I looked at it. I am not at all excited about another Willie B. tire eater.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

lot looks large from the pics... is it? whats the measurements? as compared to say W.S. :?:
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

It is a pretty big lot. Don't know measurements compared to WS though. I would hate for another WB tire eater...but I am planning on being in ST something or other next year. As for the sweeping. That is what SM is for. :lol: But seriously you would probably just need to sweep sections of the course that we are running and not the whole lot. Backpack blower or 2 would be nice also.
2013 WRX
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

gbwrx wrote: As for the sweeping. That is what SM is for. :lol:

....... :lol2: gD! thats funny....... :mrgreen: