Flying around...

Discussion of the search for new Solo II pavement.
Knox MSP

Re: Flying around...

Post by Knox MSP »

TedV wrote: I know on previous police team challenges there was concern folks would see the cop cars would be slower that the autocross cars, that would make joe public think more folks could run from the cops and get away... :roll:
lol, like anyone needed to be told that. I think I may be on a "most wanted" list in Clinton from my younger exploits (read: before kids).
Joe Delligatti
2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege
#46 SM
TedV

Post by TedV »

John Brown wrote:and your point......

:lol:
Knox MSP wrote:
TedV wrote: I know on previous police team challenges there was concern folks would see the cop cars would be slower that the autocross cars, that would make joe public think more folks could run from the cops and get away... :roll:
lol, like anyone needed to be told that. I think I may be on a "most wanted" list in Clinton from my younger exploits (read: before kids).
You would think the city would welcome training in driving skills for their law enforcement employees. What else is the property going to be used for on some sundays? Officers run free insted of rental cost. They may have it booked solid tho. Who knows how the gub-ment works on these things. Autocross doesn't go towards their acredited schooling hours so it may not be worth it in their eyes. Altho, only way to get better at driving at the limit is practice. Can't practice car control on the street and in the middle of a chase isn't the best time for the officer to discover their self or their cars limitations. Cops might not want to come out on their day off to flog a car around. If cop stopped by while on duty, made a few runs would be hard for them to have walked the course. Altho the Evo training on driving a course without ever seeing it would help the officers chase skills.

that was my point. :wink:
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
Knox MSP

Post by Knox MSP »

TedV wrote:
You would think the city would welcome training in driving skills for their law enforcement employees. What else is the property going to be used for on some sundays? Officers run free insted of rental cost. They may have it booked solid tho. Who knows how the gub-ment works on these things. Autocross doesn't go towards their acredited schooling hours so it may not be worth it in their eyes. Altho, only way to get better at driving at the limit is practice. Can't practice car control on the street and in the middle of a chase isn't the best time for the officer to discover their self or their cars limitations. Cops might not want to come out on their day off to flog a car around. If cop stopped by while on duty, made a few runs would be hard for them to have walked the course. Altho the Evo training on driving a course without ever seeing it would help the officers chase skills.

that was my point. :wink:
I definitely agree, but can also see them having the frame of mind that they would not want to be out driven by "civilians". I know a few cops, and there are some big egotistical dumbasses, but there are some good ones, so... I dunno.

That course looks amazing though, and I can just imagine some of the elements we could employ in an autox.
Joe Delligatti
2003 Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege
#46 SM
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Plenty of cars can out perform the Crown Vic. Nothing can outrun the radio.

Our good will with Morristown doesn't carry over with the KPD? I wonder if it would be worth to contact MADD Tennessee and wonder if we could get some sort of charity / fundraiser 'in,' since it appears they already hit up the drag strip:

http://www.maddtn.org/news.php
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
Dentspeed

Post by Dentspeed »

That's what JB was talking about with paving if we get land. Then you can do all kinds of combinations of courses.
2010 MINI Cooper S, DS
Trey
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

exactly... except thats $waaay$ too wide for our needs....

unless we want a Mini Knoxdega race course... :mrgreen:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
NEVRLIFTLIN

Post by NEVRLIFTLIN »

Here is a thought about the KPD lot.....

What about if the club approaches them with the thought of a Street Survial School for a community event on a Saturday???? Remember the kid that raced with us a couple of times that died on Kinsgton Pike this past spring? Teaching these crazy kids how to drive defensively and SMART could have changed the outcome on that tragedy.

And dosent the SCCA Foundation not help with the funds for these schools?????

Just a thought......all comments welcome. 8)
~~~Lin Cox~~~
1990 Mazada Miata
ZOOM-ZOOM

Secretary
Travel Agent
Social Director
Event Planner
🤗🐾🍺🚘🎵🏁
whenry

Post by whenry »

Good idea. We just have to have someone who wants to ride the horse. Are you volunteering?
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
Pewter Sonoma

Post by Pewter Sonoma »

whenry wrote:..... Maybe the next mayor?
Is that city or county land?

Tim Burchett is my neighbor, but he's Knox county mayor.
2011 ETR SCCA never made it to an event Champion
2001 Camaro SS Convertible - LS1, 6-speed, GMPP HotCam, Full Exhaust, Konis, Springs, Sways, Roll Cage, Wilwood Brakes.
budjrfan

Post by budjrfan »

NEVRLIFTLIN wrote:Here is a thought about the KPD lot.....

What about if the club approaches them with the thought of a Street Survial School for a community event on a Saturday???? Remember the kid that raced with us a couple of times that died on Kinsgton Pike this past spring? Teaching these crazy kids how to drive defensively and SMART could have changed the outcome on that tragedy.

And dosent the SCCA Foundation not help with the funds for these schools?????

Just a thought......all comments welcome. 8)

congrats on your nomination to head up this little project.....!!!

seriously though, someone needs to contact chattanooga and find out all about this street survival school school.

derek..... start mowing Tim's lawn until he gives in and puts in a word for us. :lol:
Kelly Munsey
scottgib wrote:On a course that Brown and I both ran about 30% in first gear, with one downshift, an Impala had FTD!!!!??? Still on that course, Kelly schooled us.
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Pewter Sonoma wrote:
whenry wrote:..... Maybe the next mayor?
Is that city or county land?

Tim Burchett is my neighbor, but he's Knox county mayor.
KPD = City.

Although I seem to remember hearing about KCSD having a 1/4 mile training facility that we couldn't get a while back. The Sheriff has his own 'political fiefdom' and doesn't really answer to the Mayor.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
Pewter Sonoma

Post by Pewter Sonoma »

budjrfan wrote:derek..... start mowing Tim's lawn until he gives in and puts in a word for us. :lol:
No mowing needed in order to see if he can help. He's a big car buff (he's even mentioned if I ever need a hand on the camaro, to let him know) but he's even a bigger motorcycle fan. He's got over 50 motorcycles (most frames and parts, I would have to believe) and I have yet to confirm this, but I heard the back of his helmet has a decal with his blood type, haha. Cool guy. He wife is really nice too.

He's got an old VW convertible at his house, which he drive on ocassion, and I think it's a '59.

If you guys can get me a name of who runs that facility, I'll stop him next time he drives by. He's been real busy since he took over as mayor, but he might be willing to help out since we all have similar hobbies.
2011 ETR SCCA never made it to an event Champion
2001 Camaro SS Convertible - LS1, 6-speed, GMPP HotCam, Full Exhaust, Konis, Springs, Sways, Roll Cage, Wilwood Brakes.
whenry

Post by whenry »

Ok, we just need to find a county facility that has a lot big enough to host an autocross(and isnt used for church facilities on Sunday) then go talk to the County Mayor.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
NEVRLIFTLIN

Post by NEVRLIFTLIN »

I will be glad to contact the chattanooga crew about the Street Survial School. I believe Jennifer Dobbler can help me on that. :D
~~~Lin Cox~~~
1990 Mazada Miata
ZOOM-ZOOM

Secretary
Travel Agent
Social Director
Event Planner
🤗🐾🍺🚘🎵🏁
dfsmith

Post by dfsmith »

I'm not sure, but I think KPD and KCSD share use of this facility, so County Mayor may have some influence. A retired KCSD friend of my parents took us to the shooting range on a number of weekends a couple of years ago, so county definitely has (had?) access.

I remember seeing this and thinking what an awesome autocross course it would be. I like the idea of approaching it from a street survival perspective and, who knows, it might be instructive to some of the officers as well.
Dave Smith

'09 Honda Accord LX-P (daily beater/greyhound bus)
'08 Ford Ranger XL (parts & manure hauler)
'74 Porsche 914 (perpetual project car)