Pavement Search Discussion Category

Discussion of the search for new Solo II pavement.
scottgib

Pavement Search Discussion Category

Post by scottgib »

Anyone that has suggestions, leads, or information about possible new autocross sites, please use this discussion category. Also, please let's have a separate thread for each potential site. In the next couple of days I will post some info on a couple that are being researched.

Someone approached me today between my runs and talked about a possible site. I was so into driving I don't remember where or who it was. I used to have a one track mind on another recreation, but ......................

Help!
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
Williampreza

Post by Williampreza »

"...one track mind..." That's funny! :lol:

Seriously though, I know I've been keeping an eye out for potential new sites. Unfortunately, mapquest decided to remove the aerial photo function from their website, a pretty useful tool if you ask me. Anyway, there's my $.02
Will Lavender
#44 HS Nissan Frontier?
dfoulk

Re: Pavement Search Discussion Category

Post by dfoulk »

scottgib wrote: Someone approached me today between my runs and talked about a possible site. I was so into driving I don't remember where or who it was. I used to have a one track mind on another recreation, but ......................

Help!
Scott, if it was the same person who spoke to me, the site was the Bike Athletic factory in Forks of the River industrial park. He said it is closed and sitting empty.

Dewey
Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

Trey Davis suggested the Plasti-Line plant in Powell, now closed. My wife used to work there and has contacts with Image Point. Not sure of state of the surface, but it's big and flat. I'll see if I can find out who we need to talk to.

-Dave
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Leadfoot, Trey and I are pursuing Plastiline. I still may need some help though. This is one that I am not rushing into due to the time of year and the fact they may change owners or uses for the facility at some point.

I have visited the site and it would require a bit of clean-up. It is fairly large and has a number of other good attributes.

Let's keep looking.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
MarshallMX5

Post by MarshallMX5 »

Williampreza wrote:Unfortunately, mapquest decided to remove the aerial photo function from their website, a pretty useful tool if you ask me. Anyway, there's my $.02
Maybe this will help:

http://imageatlas.globexplorer.com/Imag ... ImageAtlas
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

That site is great. Thanks
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
larry

Pavement Search

Post by larry »

Check out the TerraFly site:

http://appvs1.tf.cs.fiu.edu/launch/terr ... te=tn&zip= In the fly image that comes up, you will see the Meco site in the center...fly ENE to the next T intersection to see the Five Rivers site...
Larry Huff
1999 Mazda Miata Sport Silver CS 8 (#1)
1999 Mazda Miata Sport Silver CS 8 (#2)
2005 Acura TL Anthracite
SouthrnMaro1

Post by SouthrnMaro1 »

What about the parking lot at roane state community college in OR?
JAY

Post by JAY »

I spotted two sites in Rockwood/Harriman. The first site is an old strip mall parking lot (None of the businesses are currently operating). This strip mall had a Wal-Mart and a Food City, so the lot is really big. If I had to guess I would say that it is roughly 3/4 of the size of the entire parking lot at Oak ridge Mall. This may be a bit of wishful thinking, but the lot is big. The pavement is similar to Oak Ridge Mall, so tire wear should be kept to a minimum. The second site is not as big, but is still worth considering.

Check it out if you are ever in the area. Take I-40 to Exit 347 (Harriman). Turn Left onto Hwy. 27 (Toward Rockwood). Then, look for Advance Auto parts on your left (Approx. 5-10). The lot is behind Advance Auto Parts. The second lot is down another mile or two. It is the Tennessee career services building. There will be a big sign.

There is a sign in the Window of what used to be the Food City with some contact info. I will try to remember to get the number the next time I pass by.
Jason Collett
whenry

Post by whenry »

Unfortunately, we've tried the old Wal-Mart site and got the cold shoulder. I dont know much about the Tn Career site and will look into it. I think that it may have been an early Wally World site too but now owned or leased by the State. I dont know if the State is under the same mandate for public uses.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
jared

Post by jared »

Yeah the Wal Mart lot would be nice but as Wayne mentioned we had no luck there but that was 2 years ago. As far as the second lot I believe that the surface is really ate up unless they have resurfaced it in the last year or so and IMO that lot is to small.
Jared Suter
HS #54
89 Civic Si
ProjectGirlDrifter

Post by ProjectGirlDrifter »

as anyone ever looked into the BMS (bristol motor speedway) parking lot?? it's fairly large and very few poles??
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

We have run a couple of events at Bristol MS for YearOne. For us to do an event there, it has to not conflict with a drag race date (not many available), and it is very expensive. If they pave more of the parking lot, then the conflict issue goes away and it might become cheaper.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
ProjectGirlDrifter

Post by ProjectGirlDrifter »

I mean the main speedway parking lot not the drag way parking lot.. though I haven't been over there in a long time I believe that the main speed way parking lot is huge!