Tex Turner Arena parking lot at LMU in Harrogate, TN

Discussion of the search for new Solo II pavement.
steverife

Tex Turner Arena parking lot at LMU in Harrogate, TN

Post by steverife »

Scott, I THINK you scribbled this down at the last meeting, but just in case.......

The Tex Turner Arena upper level parking lot at LMU. The arena has just over 5,000 seats, so that gives you an idea of the size of the lot. I can't remember how the islands and lamposts are layed out, but here is a pic on the website that shows part of the lot:

For those that don't know, Harrogate is just south of the Kentucky state line. When I lived near UT campus, I could follow Broadway all the way up there (same road goes through Halls, Maynardville, and Tazewell) and it'd take me about an hour and 15 minutes in a time of light traffic (like a Sunday morning). When I lived with my parents in Oliver Springs, I would drive through Clinton, get on I-75, take the Lafollette exit, follow that road to Harrogate, and it'd take about an hour and a half. I imagine it'd be less than 2 hours for the tri-cities guys as well, so location isn't THAT bad.

I went to school up there and one of my old roommates has an admin. job now, so if this is a possibility, I could make the initial phone call(s) or at least find out who we'd need to talk to about this.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

:twisted:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
Jbgti

Post by Jbgti »

Heck yeah... That lot looks very nice and big. Please check on this one.
03' VW GTI 1.8T
20th Anniv. IY
STS # 33
whenry

Post by whenry »

Check it out! If necessary, we could put together a student/campus club or such to request the use of the lot. There has to be a policy somewhere about the use of the facility by student organizations.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Looks great!

Was that place built pretty recently? I can't find aerial photos in TerraServer. Either I'm looking at the wrong place or it was woodland and fields about 6 years ago.
- Dave Disney
steverife

Post by steverife »

The arena was there when I started school in Fall '97, so it is at least that old. You used to be able to pull up an overhead of it on Mapquest, but I think I heard that Mapquest has pulled that feature. I'll check a little later.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
dfoulk

Post by dfoulk »

I think that some things like aerial photos and maps of certain places will be disappearing from the internet due to fear of terrorists gaining information.

Dewey
BillyM

Post by BillyM »

That would be a fun one. I have some lady-friends up there. :evil:

...here's to finishing automotive projects. See you all next spring (especially you smod guys)
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

I was at Tex Turner for a graduation just before Christmas and the lot is great. It's not newly paved or anything, but it's in good shape. It's BIG and has just few small islands!!! Around back there is a lower level parking lot that the employees use but otherwise it's empty, so as long as there isn't an event going on in the arena they don't use the front lot for anything. Plus, you don't have to close the rear lot to run on the front lot. In the Summer it's empty almost all the time. It's a pretty good ride from Greeneville, about an hour and twenty minutes. I'm not sure how long it would take from the Knox area. I think it would be perfect for an ETR/Evo School.

...and BillyM has some lady-friends up there!
BillyM

Post by BillyM »

...if anyone ever gets a chance to go up there for a couple nights, the view from the women's dorms is really great (spooky looking building all the way up on the hill). The room I was helping occupy looks directly over that lot, very good-looking lot. I remember waking up, looking out, and saying to myself, "damn... that would make one KILLER autox!".

--BillyM
(sends injectors off for cleaning)
Dentspeed

Post by Dentspeed »

Let's do it. Sounds good to me. It is also about an hour plus from K-town, but a nice drive. It would be nice to have courses that are regularly above the 30-40 second mark. I would love to have some in the 60 sec. range. That would add an extra level of challenge. 8)
Hope it works out.
2010 MINI Cooper S, DS
Trey
whenry

Post by whenry »

View from the women's dorm? Now this sounds like an interesting story!
We just need a contact with the university, preferable a student who would be willing to be our "front" since campus organizations are given priority on use of most facilities.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

The longer the drive, the more opportunities I have to get in on some street racing. :P
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

thrdeye wrote:The longer the drive, the more opportunities I have to get in on some street racing. :P
- Dave Disney
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3