Home Island?

Discussion of the search for new Solo II pavement.
01badz28

Home Island?

Post by 01badz28 »

Here is an idea: How about Home Island Airport? Its a private airfield across the river from Downtown Knoxville. Has anyone ever talked to them about 'renting' part of the airstrip for an event? Just my .02.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Here is a link to the club that flys out of that field: http://www.knoxflyers.com/
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
tscott

Post by tscott »

You ain't from around here are you boy? ;) That is Island Home airport. They are usually pretty busy.
Tyler Scott
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

tscott wrote:You ain't from around here are you boy? ;) That is Island Home airport. They are usually pretty busy.
:D Scary enough I've lived here 11 years. So much for that.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Good thought, but....

This is an active airport and it takes prior fed gov. approval to shut it down even if the management approved (which is very unlikely considering the traffic there). Also the layout is not very autoX friendly.

We looked hard at an airport in Elizabethton where the mgmt would agree, but that airport had far less traffic. Getting gov. approval and layout was a problem there also. This one would be worse on both counts.

Info on the airport from a site I found:

"Knoxville Downtown Island Airport is a general aviation airport located less than three miles from downtown Knoxville in the Tennessee River and is base for more than one hundred private and corporate aircraft. The airport has a 3,500-foot runway with a published localizer-only approach."

There is a flight school there and quite a bit of private traffic.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
tscott

Post by tscott »

Don't let our "Negative Nancyness" be discouraging. Keep up the search. Think of the pavement search as on ongoing brainstorm.
Tyler Scott
dfoulk

Post by dfoulk »

Many years ago we did autocross at the Sevierville airport. The course was basically a long slalom with a U turn at the end with a few turns on the pavement near the gas pumps. I remember it being a fun place to run in spite of course design limitations and there was a restaraunt at the airport. Since this was 25 to 30 years ago, that airport might not be a posibility but I thought I would mention it just in case.

Dewey
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Sweet!

I always like slaloming through gs pumps when I autocross.

j/k
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
bugdewde

airport

Post by bugdewde »

Has anyone seen the Rockwood airport lately? I've heard there is a new surface there. I wouldn't think there is a lot of activity up there. It's off I-40 at Airport Road exit 340.
Used to be a major drug trafficing hub years ago since it is largely unattended. It was extended and resurfaced some years ago to accomodate larger planes...... Odd, huh? :lol:

Anyway, the backroad going up the mountain to the airport from downtown Rockwood rivals "The Dragon" for a mile or so. I used to "run" up there to buy aviation fuel in my Firebird back in the early 80's.

Dwight
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I've been up there a time or two and the last time I was up there it was completely fenced in so I really couldn't get a look at it. There might be some potential there but we would probably have to get FAA approval.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Unless it has changed since the aerial photo, then it is just a narrow stirp with no parallel taxi ways. So, that would mean a long slalom, pin turn, and a slolom back.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson