PlastiLine -- No Go

Discussion of the search for new Solo II pavement.
scottgib

PlastiLine -- No Go

Post by scottgib »

I had reported earlier that Trey Davis had found a possible site and had made an initial contact -- Plastiline off Emory Rd.

I visited the site, liked it and even made a dwg.

Yesterday I finally made contact with the realtor involved and got some bad news:

The site is close to being sold in two different pieces and it would be very unlikely that either piece would work by itself.

On the good side the realtor is keeping a look out for property that might work for us.

BTW there is a site off of Watt Rd that might work for rally cross if anyone wants to pursue it. I have not seen it but I understand it is bare dirt. I am Chairman for the autocross effort, not rally cross. Before jumping on this, someone will need to agree to do some real work organizing an event or events. I can help out with paperwork. I would suggest a first step of finding out just how many people are interested.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
MARKP

Re: PlastiLine -- No Go

Post by MARKP »

scottgib wrote:BTW there is a site off of Watt Rd that might work for rally cross if anyone wants to pursue it. I have not seen it but I understand it is bare dirt. I am Chairman for the autocross effort, not rally cross. Before jumping on this, someone will need to agree to do some real work organizing an event or events. I can help out with paperwork. I would suggest a first step of finding out just how many people are interested.
TNTurbo has said more than once that we have land available for a rallycross if anyone wants to put one on. Nobody has stepped up to the plate.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I wouldn't mind heading the rallycross effort, but I have no experience with driving a rally cross and probably would have to co drive a car (depending on the site).

If I could maybe get Tyler to help me out (or anyone that has rallycrossed before, really), maybe we could co-chair an event. With the contacts I have on Nasioc, I might be able to get a few out of towners to come out.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

The Chattanooga area guys have always said they would be happy to help put on a rallycross up here. If time allows, I would help but I would also need a co-drive arrangement.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
tscott

Post by tscott »

Mark hit the nail on the head. The Chatty guys would be more than willing to help out with a rally-x.
Tyler Scott
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Sounds like there are a lot more drivers available (including me) for rallycross than there are cars.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Well, it depends on the site, but I would almost try it with the WRX, at least once.....I mean, it is a homologated rally car.
Chris Harp
whenry

Post by whenry »

I've always felt that the property near Atomic Speedway would be a good place but someone just has to want to do the Chair thing and go learn from Chattanooga the ropes on doing an event. It appears that rally guys are worse organizers than other forms of racing.(and we are all generally pretty bad since we want to drive, not officiate).
To make it work, you may not be able to drive the first event.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

I'll bet if we just brain stormed a little bit,we could come up with several cars to rally in.
Seems like East Tn Race Prep had a couple of cars that would do nicely...and pretty cheap too.One was John Shirleys TR8 and a TR7.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

John Brown wrote:I'll bet if we just brain stormed a little bit,we could come up with several cars to rally in.
Seems like East Tn Race Prep had a couple of cars that would do nicely...and pretty cheap too.One was John Shirleys TR8 and a TR7.
I call dibs on driving the TR8! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

whenry wrote:I've always felt that the property near Atomic Speedway would be a good place but someone just has to want to do the Chair thing and go learn from Chattanooga the ropes on doing an event. It appears that rally guys are worse organizers than other forms of racing.(and we are all generally pretty bad since we want to drive, not officiate).
To make it work, you may not be able to drive the first event.
I wouldn't care, as long as I got a couple of fun runs at the end.
Chris Harp
tnturbo

Post by tnturbo »

When someone is ready to take it up just let me know. My family's farm is in Talbott, about 7 miles form 11E in Jefferson City and about 4 miles from exit 4 off I-81. From what I have seen, trucks are more welcome in rallycross than in autocross. Depending on what the course layout was I would do it in my Mustang or worst case in the old F-250
Jeff Miller
dirtfarmer

RallyCross Organization Ideas

Post by dirtfarmer »

:D glad to hear of some interest from Knoxville! I'm Dave Brooks from the Chatt Region. I'm the RX Chair here, and also the SEDiv RallyCross Steward. Please mail me anytime for RX info or suggestions.

Hey Mark, you still got that bullseye on your back? I saw where Tyler is putting together another Mazda? Will he let you beat him in his latest RX'er? If not, maybe several of you could chip in for a rear driver and have a slide fest. Old T-Birds are big, but way cheap. RallyCross (for me) is more about the experience than the finish. Slideways is fun, fun, fun! :shock:

Dave
Now where did I put that ...?
tscott

Post by tscott »

I only "let" Mark beat me when he breaks my car.
Tyler Scott
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

tscott wrote:I only "let" Mark beat me when he breaks my car.
If the car breaks, it's the crew chief's fault, right? :lol:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club