KPD Driving Facility

Discussion of the search for new Solo II pavement.
JAY

KPD Driving Facility

Post by JAY »

My boss has mentioned several times that the Knoxville Police Dept. received a federal grant for the construction of a police driver's training facility in knoxville. Has anyone else heard this?

If this is true, the paved area would have to be very large right? Who has the hook up with city officials? :D
Jason Collett
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I don't have a hook up with any city officials but the project is still a go, last I heard. We bid the lighting package on it. I think I remember hearing that there were some budget issues on it. Anybody know where this is supposed to be located? Maybe someone that is nearby can check to see if any dirt is being moved.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

MARKP wrote:check to see if any dirt is being moved.
speaking of which. We could probably have an impromptu rally cross down at teh turkey creek shopping center with all the mudholes that are down there.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
whenry

Post by whenry »

We have had some early contact with the City Auth about the new training facility. Things look pretty good at this point but we'll just have to let the thing get built and see who is in charge at the time.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
JAY

Post by JAY »

:lol:
Jason Collett
mrsoul55

Post by mrsoul55 »

whenry wrote:We have had some early contact with the City Auth about the new training facility. Things look pretty good at this point but we'll just have to let the thing get built and see who is in charge at the time.
When will it be done? Where is it?
'02 Civic Si
HS #96
firingonfour

Post by firingonfour »

Maybe I could talk to someone. They gave me a ticket one time...
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

1 time???????????????????????
hell far...thought you were a autocrosser. :roll:
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

John Brown wrote:hell far...
You steel aint leart hoe to speel... it's hale far! :wink:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
firingonfour

Post by firingonfour »

1 time???????????????????????
hell far...thought you were a autocrosser.
I done most a ma faster drivin' out in West TN. I got uther tickets from Maryville PD (ha), Townsend PD (double ha), and one doozie from a state trooper in KY back when we was runnin' shine (90somethin' in a 65). You caint talk to them somebeeches! Dang near landed me in th' klink, that one did. Besides y'all know I'm practically a novice. Takes years of drivin' foolishness to rack up a record like Mark P an' ole J. Brown.
dfoulk

Post by dfoulk »

I did get thrown in the klink once for reckless driving. I was 19 years old at the time. A THP officer stopped me for what I thought would be a speeding ticket. He accused me of trying to run from him in one of those "funny looking furrin sports cars" and stated that made it reckless driving. I am not sure what bothered him more, the "funny looking furrin sports car" or my hair which was long enough to reach the small of my back (Andy, this was before long hair was adopted by country boys and became socially acceptable and it was also pre-mullet). When he searched the trunk, he opened the Saab tool kit in the trunk and accused me of having break in tools. When he searched the front floor he kneeled on the carpet which was soaked with brake fluid from a leaky clutch master cylinder and accused me of drinking. Then he hauled me to the Knox County Jail.

That "furrin sports car" was a Saab 96 sedan with 65 HP. In a straight line down hill with a tail wind it might have been capable 80 mph. And at that speed, the Ford industrial V4 engine would have been past red line with the valves floating.

I fought it in court but still got charged the minimum fine and of course my insurance premium doubled. I learned that cops will lie in court but the part of this experience that was the absolute worst in my life at that time was the ride home from jail with my father. He stared straight ahead and did not say a word. The silence in the car was deafening.

Dewey
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

So Dewey,

That means you can get us the hook up with this driving facility, right?
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
dfoulk

Post by dfoulk »

I wish !
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

dfoulk wrote:...my hair which was long enough to reach the small of my back (Andy, this was before long hair was adopted by country boys and became socially acceptable and it was also pre-mullet)...
Boys, I think we's found one 'o dem hippies again. :lol:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
firingonfour

Post by firingonfour »

I don't know what you looked like then, but I'm picturing waist length hair on the Dewey I know now. (note to self: find picture of Dewey and start hair processing in photo shop. pray for ETR publication to develop). Don't worry, the reckless driving days are over... unless you count Peru.