Possible Concrete Site?

Discussion of the search for new Solo II pavement.
TennTechMan

Possible Concrete Site?

Post by TennTechMan »

Earlier today, I drove past this place.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.7541514 ... !1e3?hl=en

I have no idea what it is, or why it exists. It looks like fairly new concrete. A couple of tractor trailers were parked along one edge. No poles or islands. It's on the small side.

Thoughts?
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
TedV

Re: Possible Concrete Site?

Post by TedV »

I saw it a many years ago, thought it was concrete but turned out to be crush n run gravel. Is it actually concrete now?
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

That is new. Google street view doesn't have it, but the satellite does. Buildings look like they are waiting for the business to move in, and it appears to be built for a specific purpose. It is a little small for our autocrosses. Might accommodate a 30-40 car event. It does look like concrete from a few miles above. If I remember I'll go by and look. I go close by each week.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

I rode by today and it is a beautiful concrete surface with nary a light pole and completely flat. There was some activity and I expect it is just getting started. Based on the surface, I suspect that it was designed for tractor-trailers. Oh and it had some super-duper security. Sign said Vanquish International.

As for autocrossing, I don't hold much hope.
1. Size would only work for a limited number of drivers
2. People don't like to move trailers just for us, especially when they don't have a good place to which to move them.
3. All the security (fence, barbed wire on top, video cameras, card access, gate closed even those there was activity at the building) leads be to believe they would not want strangers inside the fence.

Sad, that was the best autocross surface that I have ever seen.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

A little Googling got me to this...

http://www.govanquish.com/

It's a little unclear exactly what the company does. It seems to have something to do with repurposing US military installment locations in the middle East. Maybe they will be staging construction equipment there. Hard to imagine it makes sense to ship that stuff around the world versus just renting it on location.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

scottgib wrote: Sad, that was the best autocross surface that I have ever seen.

Did you not get to see the airport site in person that we were trying for a few years ago? That was the best I have seen locally.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

TennTechMan wrote:
scottgib wrote: Sad, that was the best autocross surface that I have ever seen.

Did you not get to see the airport site in person that we were trying for a few years ago? That was the best I have seen locally.
We ought to get Raleigh Boreen involved in that and see if we make better headway on a second go round
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Remember I said it was way too small for our autocrosses now. This place is not worth our effort. Go on Google Earth and measure it for yourself. Remember to include paddock and grid.

I have seen the airport concrete. Vanquish looks better due to the expansion joint being almost hidden. New technology of some sort.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson