Grace Babtist Church - Saturday events.

Discussion of the search for new Solo II pavement.
thrdeye

Grace Babtist Church - Saturday events.

Post by thrdeye »

I had brought this up before, but for whatever reason, it never turned into anything. Looks like a good lot if we wanted to run a Saturday event.

www.gracebc.org

Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I agree.
There is another church that I have always thought the same thing about. I can't remember the name but it is just a little bit east of Mars Hill. I also thought about Sevier Heights Baptist on Alcoa Hwy.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
dfsmith

Post by dfsmith »

MARKP wrote: There is another church that I have always thought the same thing about. I can't remember the name but it is just a little bit east of Mars Hill.
If it's the one I'm thinking of, I believe the name of it is Fellowship Church.
Dave Smith

'09 Honda Accord LX-P (daily beater/greyhound bus)
'08 Ford Ranger XL (parts & manure hauler)
'74 Porsche 914 (perpetual project car)
steverife

Post by steverife »

IIRC, the 97eclipse guy on SCF said that he attends church at Grace and that there are some car enthusiasts that work there.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

The cool thing is that we could use the whole lot since we could use the rear lot for paddock
Chris Harp
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

I'd be interested to know just how many drivers we would loose if we ran on Saturdays.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

That would be good to know.

However, when pavement starts wearing thin, you can't cater to everyone.
Chris Harp
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

thrdeye wrote:That would be good to know.

However, when pavement starts wearing thin, you can't cater to everyone.
I 2nd, 3rd, and 4th that. The ones we may lose, we may gain right back. I know alota people that have their Sundays booked up and cannot attend regular autox.
tnturbo

Post by tnturbo »

I'm with Tony, I know of 4 or 5 guys personally that would autocross if it were on Saturdays rather than Sundays. Sunday events are very tough for church going people to attend.
Jeff Miller
Dentspeed

Post by Dentspeed »

I totally agree with Sat. events. If churches agree, it would open many doors to new pavement. If you are worried about "losing" drivers, use a mix of Sat. and Sun. events. Obviously I have no say, just my two cents. Maybe do a poll?
2010 MINI Cooper S, DS
Trey
whenry

Post by whenry »

This is probably an issue that needs to be referred to the Solo Committee for its consideration. I understand both sides and can argue either for a fee(an old atty phrase meaning it doesnt bother me to go either way).
I have always said that our Solo community is based on getting a day pass from their family activities. ETR has traditionally been Sunday based and there will be some members who absolutely cannot participate in Saturday events but the same applies to those who have to balance church, family and racing on Sunday.
A blend of events would be the solution. I guess the first step is to determine how many, if any, sites are available on Saturday only basis.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
dfoulk

Post by dfoulk »

One consideration with using a church parking lot: any church with a lot big enough will likely have activities scheduled on many Saturdays already. For it to work, we would have to fit our schedule to theirs and not the other way around. Not trying to be negative, just an observation.

If negotiations with this church are successful and some of us go look at the lot, be aware that what looks like a driveway that runs from the traffic signal and along the east and south side of the main lot is actually a public street. When the church did major construction of a new building and parking lots several years ago, the road was realigned and the traffic signal installed.

Dewey
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

dfoulk wrote:If negotiations with this church are successful and some of us go look at the lot, be aware that what looks like a driveway that runs from the traffic signal and along the east and south side of the main lot is actually a public street. When the church did major construction of a new building and parking lots several years ago, the road was realigned and the traffic signal installed.

Dewey
That is true. I looked it up on Terraserver. That road hooks up to Oak Ridge HWY by way of many other side streets. I think that we would be able to block it off for a day.

If you want to run it on Terraserver to take a closer look: 7171 Oak Ridge Hwy - Knoxville.

Chris Harp
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Chris Harp
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

That's a pretty big lot right above where you added the word, "Intersection". What lot is that?

[edit] Oh nevermind, thats the Bi-Lo
- Dave Disney