miata radiator

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
oldmuscle69

miata radiator

Post by oldmuscle69 »

I took the A/C system off of the car,now only have one cooling fan. I was cleaning on the engine and let it idle for a while after. I decided to put the car back into the garage and ran it to the rev limiter a few times. seems this caused the radiator to blow out at the top seam (165k miles) Should I have left the second cooling fan on or is it just an old radiator? This has sort of bumbed me out since I don't really know the source of the failure yet. Was wanting to run the car this weekend just to see where it needs to be classed (even though I regerstered the honda) It was banging off the limiter like it had some power. Now bumbed.
Bob Colbert
John Brown

Re: miata radiator

Post by John Brown »

one is more than enuff... did you plug it back up?? was it running when it popped?

you may have a blown head gasket and it actually built up compression pressure in the colling system.
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
whenry

Post by whenry »

the radiator in an old miata will eventually pop along the plastic header. No reason to push that unless you enjoy meeting AAA tow truck drivers along Pellissippi Parkway. Replacement is cheap and easy. Done in about an hour unless you have a problem transferring some of the attachment hardware from the old to the new radiator.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

you could be right. I have to check further.
John Brown wrote:one is more than enuff... did you plug it back up?? was it running when it popped?

you may have a blown head gasket and it actually built up compression pressure in the colling system.
Bob Colbert
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

Thanks Wayne.
whenry wrote:the radiator in an old miata will eventually pop along the plastic header. No reason to push that unless you enjoy meeting AAA tow truck drivers along Pellissippi Parkway. Replacement is cheap and easy. Done in about an hour unless you have a problem transferring some of the attachment hardware from the old to the new radiator.
Bob Colbert
flier129

Post by flier129 »

If you have a MS *cough* JB *cough*, it'll have a pre-set to turn both fans on at 180*. You can adjust it to whatever you want, though.

I think the stock ECU will turn both fans on at a certain temp, I've seen both fans in my car kick on before(non A/C).

Miatas don't like to bang off the limiters :(
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

Crap, I was letting it dry out and then hit the throttle. Are you saying I should have left both fans installed? The rad is now out of the car and also so is the Mass air flow gizmo.. I took it apart like you said but what do I do with the flap and spring as well as the sweeper arm on the board? Thanks
flier129 wrote:If you have a MS *cough* JB *cough*, it'll have a pre-set to turn both fans on at 180*. You can adjust it to whatever you want, though.

I think the stock ECU will turn both fans on at a certain temp, I've seen both fans in my car kick on before(non A/C).

Miatas don't like to bang off the limiters :(
Bob Colbert
flier129

Post by flier129 »

oldmuscle69 wrote:Crap, I was letting it dry out and then hit the throttle. Are you saying I should have left both fans installed? The rad is now out of the car and also so is the Mass air flow gizmo.. I took it apart like you said but what do I do with the flap and spring as well as the sweeper arm on the board? Thanks
I've seen both my fans come on before and I don't have a/c, so yes I'd keep them both on.

The car needs the MAF sensor to run correctly. I don't remember telling you to take it apart though. Put it back together the way that it was, lol. You also need the MAF to be STS legal, can't run an IAT sensor, has to be stock MAF.

MAF = mass airflow
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

mmm-huh.

sounds like we need to be checkin that red Mazda in STS...... :lol:

btw,two fans are extra weight. If your running them both,you got some other issues. :|
whenry

Post by whenry »

It is also incredibly easy to tweak the temp sensor that sits on top of the thermostat housing so that it looks whole and functioning but actually is broken and no longer sending a signal to the fan(its only purpose). Dont ask how I know this tidbit but in the race car, we always took a piece of hose and wrapped the sensor so it couldnt be so easily broken. $60 or so a pop as I recall.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

Got a new rad. Now working on what suspension set up to buy. Tube bar,brackets and braces,SS brake lines and front pads on the way. Still need some more parts. Used is always cool if not over used. I dont think my car will run the fastest but think it will be fun..
Bob Colbert
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Tube bar? SS lines??? man..you tryin to spend money for nothing???

Racing Beat bar.. no braces or none of that extra weight $hit... Put the right springs and dampers on it..a good motor and go kick ass. All those antsy pantsy extras are just slowing you down with extra weight.

Eric Anderson has a damm good set of shocks for sale... and if you dont buy them,you can buy mine and Ill buy his.
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Yeah I think you are supposed to take the brakes off of a miata....they shouldnt need them
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
flier129

Post by flier129 »

Yeah Eric is selling the same stuff that shipped out for me a day before he put his up for sale, lol.
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

Well shit for me trying to learn these things. What does eric have for sale and how much?? How do I find out more about what is for sale??
John Brown wrote:Tube bar? SS lines??? man..you tryin to spend money for nothing???

Racing Beat bar.. no braces or none of that extra weight $hit... Put the right springs and dampers on it..a good motor and go kick ass. All those antsy pantsy extras are just slowing you down with extra weight.

Eric Anderson has a damm good set of shocks for sale... and if you dont buy them,you can buy mine and Ill buy his.
Bob Colbert