Project ST2 Rebuild

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
PushinTheLimit

Project ST2 Rebuild

Post by PushinTheLimit »

Since I put it in the wall at Road Atlanta at the last Nasa-SE event, I brought the car home and started taking it apart. This will probably be a lengthy rebuild thread so I'll add to this everytime I make some progress. This is what it looked like before the crash... taken right before I went to Road Atlanta.

Then I was running in the ST2 race on saturday with Brian Bowers chasing until lap 12 when I clobbered the inside wall coming out of turn 12. Here's what the car looked like when I brought it home.

Started stripping the car down and this is what it looks like at this point...

Front

Rear

Really not as bad as I thought it would be when I pulled all the body panels off. So now to get it ready to take to Jerry Onks shop and let him straighten all the frames out and go from there. Car will probably be in his shop sometime after the new year as he is trying to get his car ready for the first race down in Florida. Stay tuned for more updates in the next few weeks.
Michael Smith
C5 Z06
ST2 #10
oldmuscle69

Re: Project ST2 Rebuild

Post by oldmuscle69 »

ouch but better than a four corner job.
Bob Colbert
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

That looks like some serious frame damage, is something like that really fixable? Even if you did fix it, will the car ever drive properly?
Check out some of the build.
https://www.youtube.com/user/90civichb
Cody Yankey
TedV

Post by TedV »

there are some race prep shops where after the car has been on their frame machine and the damage is repaired 8) the car actually handles better. :wink: :mrgreen:
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
PushinTheLimit

Post by PushinTheLimit »

TedV wrote:there are some race prep shops where after the car has been on their frame machine and the damage is repaired 8) the car actually handles better. :wink: :mrgreen:
I hope that's the case! It went into the frame shop today and should be done by next weekend. Once its done, I'll post some pics.
Michael Smith
C5 Z06
ST2 #10
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

Please do, I would be really interested in what it looks like after they fix it.
Check out some of the build.
https://www.youtube.com/user/90civichb
Cody Yankey
PushinTheLimit

Post by PushinTheLimit »

Just got the vette back from the frame shop. I took a few pics of both the front and rear... which looks much better than when I took it there. Now to start putting some stuff back together on it.

Michael Smith
C5 Z06
ST2 #10
integra55

Post by integra55 »

you gunna make it to CMP in Feb ?
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
PushinTheLimit

Post by PushinTheLimit »

I'd love to, but no way I can make it this year. I'm saving up to buy some aero stuff that I'll be posting pics of soon so I won't be racing for a few months. :(
Michael Smith
C5 Z06
ST2 #10
PushinTheLimit

Post by PushinTheLimit »

So alot has changed since I've last updated this... didn't realize its been almost 5 months since I gave an update. At this point, the car hasn't changed much due to just trying to save up the money for the expensive parts to complete the rebuild (shocks, springs, wing). But even after that, I would still need to sink in another $7k-$8k to get it exactly where I want it. Building it is one thing, racing it is another. As most of you know, there just aren't any road courses very local to the Knoxville/Crossville area. Nashville was the closest, but its been shut down for now. Road Atlanta is the next closest at 4 1/2 hours away. The rest are all 5-10 hours away. Diesel fuel costs, plus all racecar expenses (tires, brakes, fuel, fluids) are just very expensive. While I'm sure I could compete with my car just fine the way it was before the wreck (with no aero), it just won't be a front running car when someone has all the aero parts on their car. It would be like taking a SS prepped vette and running it against ASP vettes.

So, the plan is to sell off all the parts I've been accumulating. I had a new clutch, hood, front fascia w/ splitter, lexan windows, 2-piece rotors, extra set of CCW Classic rims, 2 sets of Hoosier tires saved up but will now all be sold. That money will be used to finish building the car back the way it was. The biggest difference in the setup will be that I switched from a leaf spring setup, to a coilover setup. I found a good deal on a used set of single-adjustable coilovers and those will be installed on the car. I already had a stock hood and front bumper and those will now be installed instead of the aero parts. The biggest things to complete now at this point will be to paint the car, and get the ABS fixed (it was leaking the other day and its possible we might've damaged it when we took it off earlier this year to get the frame fixed). I will also be installing the control arms back on the car as they will now have PolyE bushings instead of stock rubber bushings.

This should let me finish the car up by hopefully September 1st. The car will go to paint and get painted back the way it was before the wreck. I plan to race the car at Nasa's event in South Carolina at the Carolina Motorsports Park November 10th-11th. If everything goes ok and the car does well and has no problems, it will go for sale at that time. I won't be racing it anymore and it will remain for sale before I move on to the next project.

I just don't feel that I can financially "play" with the guys in the class that I run in. I know in the next coming years, I will have a house payment and I just can't see me road racing at this point and doing that too. Maybe in a few years I can come back to it again and run the same class. Without any sponsors, very little prize money and all the funding coming from me, it's very difficult to keep pace with other competitors.

But its not all gloom... once the car sells, I plan to stay in racing. I feel like this racing will be much more affordable and much easier for me financially. It will be completely new to me and I'm sure very challenging. I grew up watching it as a kid and always thought it would be cool to run those type of cars. Now is the time to give that a shot. I won't give it away just yet... but I think it will be fun and I'm looking forward to the transition. 8)
Michael Smith
C5 Z06
ST2 #10
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

PushinTheLimit wrote:I grew up watching it as a kid and always thought it would be cool to run those type of cars. Now is the time to give that a shot. I won't give it away just yet... but I think it will be fun and I'm looking forward to the transition. 8)

You grew up in Crossville, right? Sounds like someone's going dirt track racin'.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I concur. Definitely seems to be a cheaper way to go racing than road racing. Either way, it's all cubic dollars.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

MARKP wrote:Definitely seems to be a cheaper way to go racing than road racing.
Not at the level he wants to run, I'll bet.

Oh man, the good ole days - work on the car all week, Get up Saturday morning + load it all up. Haul to the track, get home about 1am+. Get up Sunday, unload it all, spend all week working on the car... All while slowly going broke.

Good times, heh.
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
PushinTheLimit

Post by PushinTheLimit »

MikeKelly wrote:
MARKP wrote:Definitely seems to be a cheaper way to go racing than road racing.
Not at the level he wants to run, I'll bet.

Oh man, the good ole days - work on the car all week, Get up Saturday morning + load it all up. Haul to the track, get home about 1am+. Get up Sunday, unload it all, spend all week working on the car... All while slowly going broke.

Good times, heh.
Can't get much by you guys :lol: So yeah, I'm going to give dirt a shot and looking to get into the late model class. But it will be in the crate/limited late models and not the super late models. Biggest difference would be a crate motor that you can't touch vs. a mostly unlimited motor for much more $$$. The bigger prize money is for the super late models, but just for starting out... I think limited is the way to go.

I don't expect to even break even doing that type of racing, it would be cool to win a little bit to offset the costs though. Even though I thought I had a decent season road racing last year, I basically won about $750 total for 13 races. And the expenses to do that... I don't even want to tabulate up those costs. :evil:

I live about 15-20 from the track in Crossville and I'm going to start out racing there and just see how good I am. If I do well, I would like to run a couple of races with some of the crate model touring races in the East TN area (Cleveland, Wartburg, Maryville, 411, Bulls Gap, etc.) to see how it goes. I've talked to a few guys that run the class and I know its cheaper than what I've been doing by ALOT.

While it also would be nice to run every weekend like many of those do, I won't be doing that. Looking to run about 10-12 races a year until I see how it goes. I'm sure I'll miss the road racing world, but this will have to do until I feel I'm more financially ready to do that again.
Last edited by PushinTheLimit on Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Smith
C5 Z06
ST2 #10
whenry

Post by whenry »

I feel your pain Michael. Once the car is built, the greatest cost of road racing for me was the travel(which includes housing, tow vehicle, trailer, etc). While I was upside down 2x in my career and was towed in to the trailer and winched into the box more times than I want to admit, once I got some experience and ran at the front more often, I rarely had damage to the car and could concentrate on setup and even watch a race or two. But when I realized a couple of years ago what a weekend at VIR was going to cost me, I had to park the rig and eventually sold off the Excursion, trailer and car before they just rotted away. I intend to go back racing if the economy will come back before my 70th birthday but being self employed in this economy, I cant race the way I want: at the front.
There are other alternatives and I did take a few laps at Atomic in a clients car before they closed it down and sold it off. However I dont know that my skills and comfort level as a driver will transfer to dirt. I would be more likely to try a paved track. Having said all that, however, racing is racing and any racing is better than sitting at home and thinking about it. Good Luck to you and keep us all posted.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner