ADESA - DRIVING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE 2012 - OFFICIAL THREAD

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Ragtopgal

Re: ADESA - DRIVING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE 2012 - OFFICIAL THR

Post by Ragtopgal »

I want to thank everyone who helped make this a great event on behalf of the Loudon County United Way Board. Those of you who worked all day yesterday are to be commended, but I really want to recognize those members who have given many, many hours to plan this event for all of you. Without people like Dave Yoder, Wayne Henry, Larry Campbell and Sean McDonald this event would not have happened! Dave has worked very hard to bring premium pavement to this club, not only for this event, but for other events also. The ONLY reason you are being allowed to use this pavement is because of the relationship this group has established with Adesa and because Greg (Adesa) believes in United Way. Our committee meets every three weeks from January to two weeks prior to the event. Even yesterday, Wayne & I were working on ways to improve the event for next year. For most of you, having a great course to run is what makes the day a success, but a lot more goes into making an event a success for everyone.
Debbie
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

I'm just going to leave this here... You know who you are. NWS. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dzYZOe ... ata_player

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

SilverMaxima wrote:I'm just going to leave this here... You know who you are.
"The Phantom strikes again" ???

That's freaking hysterical, lol.

But I have to ask...

How many times have you had this "phantom" issue???

lolol, I'll bet you're gonna have more....
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

Wasn't me, my car, or my camera, but I about died laughing watching it. :lol:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
Rotorsaurus Rex

Post by Rotorsaurus Rex »

My day got cut kind of short because my fuel pump kept blowing fuses. But I still had a great time! Thanks to everyone who put this fantastic event together, and a special thanks to all the guys who pushed my car off the course. Slowest lap of the day, I think! :mrgreen:
Jimi Groce

SM/MR 1985 Mazda RX-7
SM 1988 Mazda RX-7 Convertible Turbo
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

rocket71 wrote:
steverife wrote:Yesterday left me so discouraged.

That place was SOOOO rough on tires. I don't remember that last year.

Usually, if I'm way off pace, I can attribute it to big mistakes. I can't even conceive running the times that John was running. The car felt fantastic through the back slalom, but I just could not get back on the gas into any of the 3 big turns that lead into the offsets. It was off camber and with any throttle at all, the front would just wash out. I probably should have tried to do something to free up the rear of the car, but I didn't recognize that until the shootout and it was too late at that point. I am 100% baffled as to what it would take to make my car "work" on turns like that. Days like that make me want to see if I'm good at something else. :(
Hang tough! I feel the same way at times. How do I go from the last event to this event? I felt like I had a great car. Then Jason gets in and can't beat Geoff. He consistently beats Geoff. What is wrong with my car? And what was wrong with me?
You guys are chasing a ghost here... my car was un drivable on the first run too.. but all I changed was me. I was too wide and there was no grip at all past one car width on any turn..may have been the fact that the first run group was in the rain and hugging every cone.. Once I adapted to this(which I was trying to stay close anyway) it all became very grippy..I even talked to Walker about it and he seemed to agree that was the difference in his fast times and his not so fast.. Not only was the apex tight..the exit power on had to stay tight too.. On a couple of runs JY would tell me that the car was loose as hell...it was,I blew past the grip..and I actually started to anticipate the mistake and Id adjust the power accordingly.. stop turning knobs.. and start adjusting your thoughts...
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
rocket71

Post by rocket71 »

John, that likely is what i need to hear. I typically never find much time once my times get close. Normally, I have Phil to talk lines with and discuss different ways to run the course. Yesterday, we seemed to go straight to the car. I never really took advantage of discussing line with Jason much. I just wanted to know what he thought about the car, the car, the car.

After I got bumped in the challenge I was able to watch the last runs and saw the different line you were running in that turn around. I think knowing how, when, and where to change the line will just come with experience.
GT350
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Don't have allot of time to make a long full 'race recap' post, but BIG thanks to everyone putting on the event this weekend. I had a blast running although I forgot that Pro class doesn't count all their runs... which is even more painful that my best run was my 4th ( almost a full second faster than my best counted run ), but was still allot of fun for a great cause.

Have to check out results and see not only where I DID finish up, but where I could've had I just run 'regular' SS and had all my runs :oops:

Anyway... great course... I walked it not being to crazy about it, but it drove very easy ( IMO ), and I only walked it twice.

I'll post some video up tonight as well.

Oh, and yeah, that place is tougher on tires than I thought it would be.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
jcford80

Post by jcford80 »

I had a blast out there this weekend. Big thanks to Adesa and UW for letting us run on this lot! Great course John and as usual the Dogfight was very cool to watch! The weather had me scared with the condition of my tires but I got lucky getting in the 3rd run group. I was very happy with my times granted I would have been much lower in the ranks if the first group ran dry. After watching my videos I think I could've gotten a mid 62 run out of the car had I cleaned up a few corners and linked it all together. I hope to see a bunch of you guys down in Chatt on the 14th for the final dogfight! I HAVE to make it into the brackets on this one I've been so close each time! I want those extra runs!
Justin Ford
08 Solstice GXP
#151 Pro A-Street
04 Chevy Cavalier
#3 STC
Scoob

Post by Scoob »

I agree with John on the grip, etc. Speaking from a karter's perspective, the lot had very good grip if you stayed on line. I ran right after it dried up so it was a pretty green course and if I went wide of any apex I washed out. Once I hit all of my braking points and drove it the way I walked it, I dropped down another 1.3 sec. I could have found another few tenths with another run or two, but I think the 52.8 was as good as I was going to get in 4 runs (better, in fact since I set my sights on low-53s). It was an excellent day for autoxing. We'd been off for over 3 months due to the move to TN, so I was pretty happy to put that last run together.

Thanks to all involved. I hope we'll be able to run our karts at more local events next year.
Scott Boito
#68 CAM-S C5 Z06
SEDIV SSS

BetterOffRacing
daverx7

Post by daverx7 »

Wow, what a a great weekend!

Friday for the checkin/tech... and hang out with a few friendly folk... Then, rush to the Dragon for a few runs. Woot!

Saturday for the event. When I walked the course for the 1st time, I was concerned about people (including me) remembering the course and hope that nobody tries to do two lefts at the "T" in the middle (which would be disastrous). However, after walking a couple of more times, I felt really good about the design. Nicely done John and THANKS!!

Even with it being a very long work session and long day in general, I had a great time driving the course and meeting several cool folks. I must admit that I was scratching my head as to why I was so far off Geoff's pace, but when I showed my video to my typical co-driver he immediately went directly my choice of line (just like John did for Berry). I was falling for the same thing that Berry was talking about and worrying about the car and fixing where I was having to chase my tail a lot. Man, I hate it when that happens. Live and learn!

Anyway, here's a view of the course, but just ignore my choice of line. haha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpbYoWTHBvA

Thanks again for a great time, and look forward to coming to more of y'all's events.

-Dave
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Yeah luckily I was the only dumbass that went left twice.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

I was a little faster with a tighter line, but that made getting back on the gas even worse.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
PushinTheLimit

Post by PushinTheLimit »

thrdeye wrote:Yeah luckily I was the only dumbass that went left twice.
Did you really?? :lol: That's too funny. Thanks for letting me come out and run with you guys. It was good to see old friends once again.
Michael Smith
C5 Z06
ST2 #10
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

It was great meeting allot of you this weekend as well. Michael that Z06 sounded great.

Chris, you gave us a bit of a scare when you went the wing way.
that course definitely had some 'press your luck' moments that rewarded the brave and those who planned ahead. Great job to the course designer.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing