Aaron, did you get the latest update from him on the solo storm? JY
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
TennTechMan

Re: GoPro Hero3... Yes, Hero3

Post by TennTechMan »

I got the email, but haven't done anything with it. Seems like I've gotten a few updates since the last time I used SoloStorm.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
yellow99tj

Post by yellow99tj »

I just picked up a Hero3 Black, its my first gopro. I havnt had any issues like freezing or anything of that sorts. The phone app is amazing and pretty much renders the remote it comes with useless. I need some help on editing videos and what not, because my vids are huge and wont post to youtube or upload to email. I had a ton of wind noise but I had the water proof door on , I thought that would be less wind noise but maybe I had it backwards :? Battery life is pretty low, like 1.5 hours at best. Not a big deal for autocross days but anything else and you would most likely need an extra battery.

PS: Don't be dumb and think you will find a decent micro SD card anywhere in town like I did. Order one online with your camera.
-Shane Norton-
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR
STU #95
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

On the Hero2 the waterproof door would create a hiss (not what I'd call wind noise) when used on a car at speeds above about 40. As a result, I never use the waterproof door unless it's raining. Actual wind noise sounds nothing like the irritating hiss. I bet it's the same situation with the Hero3.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
yellow99tj

Post by yellow99tj »

SilverMaxima wrote:On the Hero2 the waterproof door would create a hiss (not what I'd call wind noise) when used on a car at speeds above about 40. As a result, I never use the waterproof door unless it's raining. Actual wind noise sounds nothing like the irritating hiss. I bet it's the same situation with the Hero3.

Thanks Ill give the other door a shot.
-Shane Norton-
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR
STU #95
Pewter Sonoma

Post by Pewter Sonoma »

I got my Hero3 about 4 weeks ago, and I have yet to open it. :roll: Any free time has gone toward the car.
2011 ETR SCCA never made it to an event Champion
2001 Camaro SS Convertible - LS1, 6-speed, GMPP HotCam, Full Exhaust, Konis, Springs, Sways, Roll Cage, Wilwood Brakes.
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

Pewter Sonoma wrote:I got my Hero3 about 4 weeks ago, and I have yet to open it. :roll: Any free time has gone toward the car.
Did you make it to CMP last month...?

2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
Jek

Post by Jek »

^ I went to a Turn 1 event at CMP last Friday (December 28th) and didn't see anyone else from TN there, not sure if that's the event you were asking him about.

I recorded one of my sessions on track (turned out to be my best session heh) with my Hero2 on a suction cup mount on the windshield with the non-waterproof door. I loved the way the video turned out but the sound is pretty much useless. I'd love to be able to hear the engine at track speeds...AutoX speeds aren't nearly as bad, heh. Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnOxH0stdAY

Pretty much nothing but wind noise, heh.
David Black
Johnson City, TN
'97 BMW M3 - STU 48
integra55

Post by integra55 »

would the wind noise have been lessened enough to hear the engine if the camera had been on the inside ?
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

^ Yes. See below.

^^ Yeah, he was going to a Turn 1 event, courtesy of a GroupOn deal from early on last year. I think he'd scheduled the first weekend in December.

Nice vid! Yes, that is a bunch of wind noise! :lol: I'd recommend an external microphone, with the cable run and the mike mounted somewhere in the car. I did this about a month ago at CMP using a stereo Olympus mike. I had the camera mounted in the back window facing the rear, and my phone using Trackmaster facing forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_H8knaK ... cA&index=1

Noticeable wind noise, still, but some good engine sounds, too. Next time I'll use an extension cable and mount the mike lower in the car.
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

SoloStorm's latest release also added support for working with gopro wifi camera's. I don't have one, so I can't say how well or what kind of integration it has, but it sounds like it would be pretty sweet.
-Gary Mitchell
Custom Magnet Numbers and Vinyl Graphics! | Unofficial Points Standings
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
91' SVT GEO Metro (24HhoursOfLemons!)