Thoughts on selling (parting out?) the CRX

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
steverife

Thoughts on selling (parting out?) the CRX

Post by steverife »

First, I love the car. I really do. It makes me happy whenever I drive it. With that out of the way...

This is probably somewhat inspired by the fact that I haven't been able to autocross this season. It is becoming clear to me that I won't be able to attend events as often as I'd like. I've got a good chunk of money tied up in the car and it really serves me no purpose outside of autocross. It can be driven on the street, but there really aren't a lot of good reasons to drive an STS CRX on the street. I'm really starting to hate the idea of having money tied up in something that I rarely use. Towing the car also adds some levels of complexity to getting the car to events, not to mention fuel costs. I miss the days of throwing the tires in the 3, then rolling out to an event straight from work. It'll never be that simple with the CRX.

Also, I've had the car close to 3 years now. This is pretty much the longest that I've autocrossed the same car, so I've also got the itch to move onto something else. ...and/or buy/build a non-autocross vehicle that I really love (Chevelle, old truck, etc). I have no idea what I would move onto --- maybe start an STF build on the 3, maybe something road tire, maybe an STX fox body, maybe take a break. I'd love to do an FM car or a prepared Honda, but that definitely wouldn't solve my problem with having money tied up into a dedicated toy.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to sell my car. There are several ST Civics on the market right now and they definitely aren't bringing top dollar. It might be worth more to me than what I could get for it as it sits. I might be better off parting it out. Time and space would be the obvious drawback to that.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
TedV

Re: Thoughts on selling (parting out?) the CRX

Post by TedV »

get your but in it and drive it at an event. as long as it finishes and nothing breaks, you will forget about getting rid of it
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
integra55

Post by integra55 »

price of liability ins. vs. cost of towing it .... at least for local events wouldn't that work for you .... it's not like you have far to travel for the locals
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

I personally would have liability insurance on anything that leaves my garage.

Stuff can happen on course and the SCCA insurance is mostly to protect the site owner and cover any accidental damage done to the site. It also covers some personal injury. I know that if you hit another car (on course or on the public roads between course and grid, or in grid), its going to come out of your own pocket.
- Dave Disney
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

Steve, knowing you...I'm surprised you've owned that car for this long. My choice would be to move on. But, I get tired of cars quick and like to drive different ones as soon as I can. I think you are the same way. If you have the itch, jump now instead of waiting.
2013 WRX
flier129

Post by flier129 »

It's that time of the year for Rife isn't it?

It seemed like you had a lot of fun in the CRX, if you're mostly concerned about the investment not serving any other purpose than auto-x, sell it. Find something you can have fun in on the street and still be competitive enough for auto-x. Obviously the street aspect will have some sacrifices, but it won't be your DD.
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

That CRX has been about the most fun autocross car I've ever driven. It might be second only to the Geo, but the CRX is definitely faster on an autocross course. The CRX has been relatively simple to maintain, and very reliable as an autocross car. It rotates well, and is pretty easy to catch. It's a lot of fun to throw around. One of the best sounding Hondas as well.

I have to admit I'd be sad to see the car go, but realistically I'm only going to be able to make 1 (possibly) national event this year. With being more serious about Lemons this year, recently building a new Lemons car, and some life changes at home, it's just not a possibility to put much wrench or drive time into the CRX. I think seeing the car every day makes it easier for me to get more attached to it. If someone else does end up with the car, I hope it's someone local so that I can still see it running often.

Steve doesn't seem to like having anything "normal" (which I absolutely relate to), so it would be fun to see what he ends up with after the CRX.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Rife it seems to me that you have always done what you "should" do when it comes to car selection rather than what you "want" to do.

Competitiveness aside, if I'm not running a car that I enjoy off course I wouldn't be having fun.

sent from typotalk
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

Just to clarify, Rife, I support whatever you decide either way. If I can help you with keeping it or selling it, let me know.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

thrdeye wrote:
Competitiveness aside, if I'm not running a car that I enjoy off course I wouldn't be having fun.

sent from typotalk
I agree with this. I've had a lot more fun with the cars that I can drive on the road regularly. The miata was okay but unbearable in the summer heat with no a/c. Also, I will need to be making a lot more money before I think about getting an autox only car again.
2013 WRX
sentrase

Post by sentrase »

Selling it as a complete car is so much easier and quicker too.

That said, I'm not sure how you're coming out ahead money wise by building or buying something else. I've thought a lot about trying something else, but can't come up with a single car that would be as affordable/ fun to drive.

I've also just replaced a few big parts( cylinder head, tranny checked, new clutch ) and I just want to get some return out of it. You guys put lot work into your car, so don't give all that just away.
Kristo K.
'13 Scion FR-S
STX 53
EliseAutoXr

Post by EliseAutoXr »

thrdeye wrote:Rife it seems to me that you have always done what you "should" do when it comes to car selection rather than what you "want" to do.

sent from typotalk
I agree with Chris, get something that you want and no matter win or lose in autox/track it will be fun! Also, I'm in favor of having one car for DD and fun purposes ... it makes the DD fun too!
Bradley Allen
STM 7
06 Lotus Elise (some stock)
steverife

Post by steverife »

I'm not really sure where the insurance talk came from...

Marcus, I'm not necessarily concerned about having the money tied up, I just want something I enjoy to drive on sunny days. In a perfect world, I'd have the bank to have a beater daily, a tow rig and trailer of my own, the Honda, and a fun project car. Realistically, I can have 2 of those.

As far as cars that I want versus what I "should" buy, there really isn't anything that I really want that I could autocross....except maybe the STX fox body idea, which could prove to be an absolute dud. I'm atypical from a lot of us in that I don't really care about sports cars. I get more excited daydreaming about crazy tow rig builds than autocross cars. The only thing I've ever really wanted was some sort of nice 60's-70's muscle car.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
integra55

Post by integra55 »

the ins talk came from me ... you don't have it tagged, so I assumed it wasn't insured ... seems that driving it to and from ( maybe not the long long trips ) but to and from the local events .... I don't know Tn law, but here to drive on public streets it has to have at least liability ins ... that's all
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
steverife

Post by steverife »

Car is tagged. I still don't like driving it for a variety of reasons.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97