Experience with E85 stations around Knoxville?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
bhmax

Experience with E85 stations around Knoxville?

Post by bhmax »

I'll be retuning my car soon for both premium and E85. The Pilot station on Northshore is the closest one for me. Does anyone have experience as to what the actual ethanol content usually is and how consistent it is? I've got a tester to figure it out myself but would like any first hand experience.
Britt Stracner
BRZ
WRX
SilverMaxima

Re: Experience with E85 stations around Knoxville?

Post by SilverMaxima »

Pilot at Walker Springs had E85 as of a few months ago. I have no experience with actual ethanol content, unfortunately.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
Austin Lanz

Post by Austin Lanz »

It is good that you got a tester. Everyone I know that runs full time E85 uses one each time. My dad runs a 50/50 mix of E85 and 93 in his BMW so while that creates two variables, the E85 (at Weigel's in Clinton) has been sort of hit or miss as far as how the car takes to it. Sometimes, I don't think that it's true E85 so the octane content of the mixture isn't as high as normal and the car doesn't read the same on the data logging. I'm not sure how you feel about this, but sometimes if I fill it up and it doesn't appear to be pure I just add some octane booster to the tank and that has gotten the system back in check every time. Moderately imprecise I suppose but eh, whatever. Hopefully the decision to run E85 means that you have some BIG POWER parts now!
Austin Lanz
STM 12 Evo 8
bhmax

Post by bhmax »

Thanks Austin, good info. I wouldn't say too big yet, just staying with stock turbo until I kill it. Hoping for some good fun power though with new ic, piping, injectors, and changing to ecu based boost.
Britt Stracner
BRZ
WRX
Austin Lanz

Post by Austin Lanz »

Gotcha. Going to 800cc injectors and a 255 pump let me turn the boost up a bit and that was quite noticeable. So far, probably the best mod I have done in the sub 1k is put in 272 intake and exhaust cams. My car gained massive amounts of mid to top end power that it certainly didn't have before.
Austin Lanz
STM 12 Evo 8