Time Trial Shenanigans.

Discussions related to SCCA Road Racing, Time Trials, and PDX.
Wheelman_13

Re: Time Trial Shenanigans.

Post by Wheelman_13 »

Event 3: CMP (May 18-19)

Prologue

So for my second visit to CMP this year I've changed the following:
  • Replaced a bad steering wheel bushing so the wheel should be more-often where I left it the previous turn.
  • Replaced a bad left rear wheel bearing which I think gave it up after Road Atlanta
  • Replaced the cast iron log of an exhaust manifold with stainless steel headers
  • Replaced the stock catalytic converters with REALLY LOUD resonated test pipes. I'm glad CMP doesn't have a sound limit. Honestly I'm going to write this off as a learning experience. No cat with a blown-out exhaust and headers = too loud for a dual-use car. I have high-flow cats in the mail currently.
The upshot of the above is I should have a little better car placement this time and about 25 more horses pushing me than last time. I'm not sure what 25hp equates to in lap-time language, but I intend to find out.

Results to follow.
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
youtube.com/lapoftheworld
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

Good luck! :-)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
integra55

Post by integra55 »

Wheelman_13 wrote:Event 3: CMP (May 18-19)

Prologue

So for my second visit to CMP this year I've changed the following:
  • Replaced a bad steering wheel bushing so the wheel should be more-often where I left it the previous turn.
  • Replaced a bad left rear wheel bearing which I think gave it up after Road Atlanta
  • Replaced the cast iron log of an exhaust manifold with stainless steel headers
  • Replaced the stock catalytic converters with REALLY LOUD resonated test pipes. I'm glad CMP doesn't have a sound limit. Honestly I'm going to write this off as a learning experience. No cat with a blown-out exhaust and headers = too loud for a dual-use car. I have high-flow cats in the mail currently.
The upshot of the above is I should have a little better car placement this time and about 25 more horses pushing me than last time. I'm not sure what 25hp equates to in lap-time language, but I intend to find out.

Results to follow.
yep ... that thing is LOUD .. when you went by me I thought my ears were going to start bleeding :lol:
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
2slow

Post by 2slow »

Whats the difference between Time Trial and Time Attack? is it a east coast-west coast thing.. :D
Mike T
SilverMaxima

Post by SilverMaxima »

2slow wrote:Whats the difference between Time Trial and Time Attack? is it a east coast-west coast thing.. :D
IIRC, TA is just you, the track, and the clock. TT adds other, potentially slower, drivers into the mix.

Edit: http://www.nasaaz.com/feature-boxes/dri ... me-attack/

Basically TA has a few laps to yet a fast time and seems to have fewer drivers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
2007 STI Limited #576, The Gentleman's STI, er Mistress, FOR SALE
2004 350Zed Base
Marcus W., STU #-Random
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

Yeah, the basic premise is the same: Fastest Lap is the only thing that counts. Time Attack sounds a little more exciting I guess, lol.

How a "Time Trial" or "Time Attack" event is run will depend on the sanctioning body who's running it. I think even with Redline they end up with more than one car on track at a time, but they're not having to deal with a field of 20-40 cars, so it's not often you'll see another car in frame.
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
2slow

Post by 2slow »

thanks for the info, I've been googling this, looks like the size of the track can be the difference
too,TA use smaller tracks, TT are better on larger tracks, I guess it would be boring ,waiting on a TA car on a large track.
Mike T
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

Event 3: CMP (May 18-19)

Results

In a word, "Meh".

I placed 4th both days and still could not improve upon my raw time from December.

Racer Excuses:
  • It was 20 degrees warmer
  • I ran the December event on Dunlops, and the last two on Nittos....clearly it's the tires
  • The vendor was supposed to bring the new pads that I waited too long to order with them to the track, instead they mailed them to my house, so my fronts ended up nearly to the backing plates by the time the event became a washout on Sunday. That was in my head the whole time.
The good news:
  • The extra ponies were doing something. The data says my terminal speeds were marginally better.
  • I managed to man back up and carry 100+ through the kink for at least a few of the dry sessions.
Here's a speed/distance graph from the weekend highlighting my quickest lap (S1), my quickest lap that counted (S2), and then my quickest from Sunday (Sun).

Here's video from the quickest competition session with some slightly laggy data overlay (phone only samples at 1x/second hence the occasional delay in speedo response)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JDhurinq30

Take-Aways:
  • I still have a steering shimmy. As of this writing I've replaced the right rear toe link (because I already had a new one laying around) although I can't determine that anything was wrong with the old one.
  • I really need to order brake pads more than a week in advance (and usually do)...better yet, just have an extra box on-hand.
  • No really, Dunlop Z1 > Nitto NT05
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
integra55

Post by integra55 »

one suggestion for the pads ... if Discovery Parts carry/can get them .. Ron will bring them to the track
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones

828-686-3245
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

integra55 wrote:one suggestion for the pads ... if Discovery Parts carry/can get them .. Ron will bring them to the track
Yeah, about that ;)

Schlitz happens, but apparently there was some confusion this time. Like I said, late order and I think they've been mildly discombobulated moving shop as well. I'm just glad I had more pad left than I thought I did initially. Even so, I was having to move the pedal more than I'd usually like to get good bite.
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
integra55

Post by integra55 »

oh ... oops .. didn't realize it was Discovery Parts you were talking about :oops:

walter jones

828-686-3245
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

integra55 wrote:oh ... oops .. didn't realize it was Discovery Parts you were talking about :oops:
Yeah, they're normally great and I'd still recommend them to anyone. All's well that ends well, but I'll say I was trying not to touch the pedal on the way home to avoid needing to replace a rotor as well as pads.
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
integra55

Post by integra55 »

been there done that ... had to get a ride to the nearest Advance after an a-x at PState .... when I pulled around to the awards I could hear metal on metal ... that last run and my pads gave their all LOL

now I always have a used set in the back .... just in case LOL

walter jones

828-686-3245
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

integra55 wrote:been there done that ... had to get a ride to the nearest Advance after an a-x at PState .... when I pulled around to the awards I could hear metal on metal ... that last run and my pads gave their all LOL

now I always have a used set in the back .... just in case LOL
I have a "get home" set I tote around, but they're of unknown brand/type. Given the origin, I'll almost guarantee they're crap. Didn't want to change pads in that monsoon just to drive home since I still did have a smidgen of "good" pad left.
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
integra55

Post by integra55 »

hint: assuming it doesn't take long to change the pads ... I slip into the garage area and get-er done and out before they show up asking for their $55 LOL

walter jones

828-686-3245