Tech Session - corner balancing/suspension setup - interest?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
jaboyd

Tech Session - corner balancing/suspension setup - interest?

Post by jaboyd »

I'm working with EuroHaus to arrange a Tech Meeting to show people how coil-overs are installed, set-up/adjusted and corner balancing. What we are finding is that many people are not familiar with a coil-over install and setup. In fact, it was difficult locating places in the area that actually do corner balancing. The lack of knowledge and accessibility to services seemed to cause some enthusiasts to disregard adding coil overs because they were skiddish about taking on something that was unfamiliar. In addition, lots of people had their own ideas (rumors, forum/blogo-sphere inputs) that were inconsistent and contradictory. The idea for this Tech Meeting is to show people how it is done. Allow them to see it first hand and ask questions as well as having a knowledgeable suspension expertise available to answer questions. In addition, it is kind of cool to meet and discuss car stuff with other fellow enthusiasts.

The owner is a knowledgeable and experienced race suspension set-up guy and worked on the 2012 Mini America team for the Continental Racing Series and will host the session at his shop. The intent is not to position this as a "we'll set up your car for auto-x or whatever ", but rather a general introduction into coil over set-up and car balancing. Attendees would be able to get feedback on suspension and handling questions but it isn't designed to be a dedicated auto-x session. I'd venture to guess by a number of people expressing interest in attending that they may never auto-x or track, but want a better handling car.

This is the first time we've tried to do this, so seeking inputs and determining interest of local organizations like SCCA, BMW Club, and KSOC.

We'd like to keep the initial group to a manageable size of 24 people. This size would allow for better communications and provide the best opportunity to ask questions and get tips on suspension, as well as a chance for us to gauge whether it is something that should be expanded.

A date has not been set but is tentatively planned for a Saturday morning sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas. If interested please let me know and I'll simply post them on the slots shown below.

1) bdj238
2) Robmat
3) Zachc
4) trilogy
5) ether947
6) Stickle
7) jaboyd
8)kamil99
9)Wheelman_1310 pending
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)
Last edited by jaboyd on Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jaboyd

Re: Tech Session - corner balancing/suspension setup - inter

Post by jaboyd »

Bummpppp
jaboyd

Post by jaboyd »

We've scheduled our first Tech session for Wed Dec 4 at 7pm. we will have a Pizza and suspension tech session at Eurohaus Motorsports. The session will do a corner balance (STI w/coil-overs) to demonstrate procedures and answer questions on the set up and general suspension topics. If interested in attending pls advise before Dec1. Thx.
Last edited by jaboyd on Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thewelder

Post by thewelder »

I PMed you about this. Just wondering if you got it.
*Chad Summey*

E mod 78 lotus seven clone.
jaboyd

Post by jaboyd »

I hadn't seen it, but glad to have you come. I'll post more details on specifics and location. I'm expecting around 10 -12 people.
jaboyd

Post by jaboyd »

We plan to meet at Eurohaus at 7pm on Dec 4 (wednesday) for a pizza and tech session focused on corner balancing and suspension Q&A.

10219 Upper Ridge Way
Knoxville, Tn 37932
ph: 966 6465

Directions: North off of I-40/I-75 on to Pellissippi Pkwy to Dutchtown Rd (first exit north of interstate). Take exit up to Dutchtown Rd and turn right at the light. Go west (over Pellissippi) past the light to enter Pellissippi and past the second light, turn left at first street after the light, Cogdill Rd. Turn into Cogdill Industrial pk, second road on left. This is a cul d sac with several short dead-end streets off of it, so turn left into the second road and immediately left again. You will see EuroHaus at the end of the dead-end street on the right (a number of cars will be parked facing you at the end of the street).
Jek

Post by Jek »

I'd like to come, but I'll be traveling for work that week. Stupid work travel :x
David Black
Johnson City, TN
'97 BMW M3 - STU 48
thewelder

Post by thewelder »

I can't come on a Wednesday. I would be driving down from Kingsport. Are you thinking of doing anymore. Thanks. Chad
*Chad Summey*

E mod 78 lotus seven clone.
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

Do I need to RSVP? I'd be curious to see if I'd pick anything up from it, but I'm not sure I could commit or not. It's right around the corner, but I might be leaving for Road Atlanta the following morning and you never know when you might have to put out a fire.
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
youtube.com/lapoftheworld
jaboyd

Post by jaboyd »

Wheelman, Would like to get an RSVP but not required. We plan ordering pizzas after everyone arrives...so if you don't show it may just mean less pizza. Love to have you join us.

We are testing the concept to see how much interest there is for this type of tech sessions. The more in interest the better chances of having more.

Considering 2 future sessions: detailing paint/appearence, and race prep.
jaboyd

Post by jaboyd »

Hey, hope you guys are still planning on joining a few of us on Wed nite Dec 3 @ 7pm for a Pizza and Tech session at EuroHaus (10219 Upper Way, Knoxville, TN 37932). We'll be doing a corner balancing demo and Q&A on suspensions.

Map

http://mapq.st/1biympR (if it doesn't open, paste it in browser)
dopo

Post by dopo »

I plan to be there! Looks like it'll be informative. And it should be good publicity for Eurohaus since I doubt many folks knew about you, being hidden away back in that commercial/industrial area.
Douglas Pichardo
jaboyd

Post by jaboyd »

Hey guys, thanks for joining the tech session. Hope you found it informative and enjoyed meeting other enthusiasts.