2014 RTP/PAX

Discussions related to Solo
John Brown

Re: 2014 RTP/PAX

Post by John Brown »

............. THE BOARD LIVES AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:
:fight:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
steverife

Post by steverife »

dewittpayne wrote:If the Ruth RTP is the only alternative for the Street classes for 2014, which remains to be seen, I vote for continuing the tire class with the Street-R indexes.
That's pretty unprecedented.

I vote for a FWD PAX break at Pelli180.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

John Brown,
... why? I think your gonna be better off with the new number.. the class isn't gonna occupy the top 10% of any given day... but still..
Sure it would move me up a little overall, but it moves me down with respect to most of the other Street classes I don't get screwed over as badly as GS and HS, but it's still pretty bad. Compare the ratio of S to SR indexes for each class. The ratio for SS is 0.980. For FS it's 0.986. GS is the worst at 0.993 and HS is 0.991. To put it in terms of time, let's say an SS car PAXes at 60 seconds. For the SR indexes that's a raw time of 69.767. I would need a time of 72.289 to get a PAX time of 60 or a difference in raw time of 2.522 seconds. For the street indexes that would be 71.174, 73.350 and 2.176. I would need to go faster to stay even with the Street PAX. GS and HS would have to go even faster.

Think about that 0.993 ratio for GS. That's 0.4 seconds on a 60 second course between Hoosiers and street tires. Really? That's a big thumb on the scales.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
steverife

Post by steverife »

Rick's numbers are based off some level of data in RTR, RTF, and RTA. Dennis Healy out west and a few others had success running an FS car in those classes.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

steverife wrote:Rick's numbers are based off some level of data in RTR, RTF, and RTA. Dennis Healy out west and a few others had success running an FS car in those classes.
Sure, but that was using the unmodified 2013 Stock class indexes, which aren't all that different from the 2014 Street-R indexes. As I said, I wouldn't mind continuing to use those rather than the 2014 Street indexes.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

I'm guessing that Scott Gibson is even less happy than I with the 2014 RTP index for GS.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

steverife

Post by steverife »

dewittpayne wrote:
steverife wrote:Rick's numbers are based off some level of data in RTR, RTF, and RTA. Dennis Healy out west and a few others had success running an FS car in those classes.
Sure, but that was using the unmodified 2013 Stock class indexes, which aren't all that different from the 2014 Street-R indexes. As I said, I wouldn't mind continuing to use those rather than the 2014 Street indexes.
I'm sure Rick is smart enough to look at actual raw times from within the indexed RT classes.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Anyone autocrossing a stock Brick is not taking this sport too seriously.

At the last event I was surprised to find that using JB as a benchmark I am now just as fast in the Brick as I was in the Cayman (which was pretty slow)!! And the Brick is slushbox. Which by the way is significantly faster just putting it in sport mode and letting it change (as opposed to locking it in second).
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

scottgib wrote:Anyone autocrossing a stock Brick is not taking this sport too seriously.

At the last event I was surprised to find that using JB as a benchmark I am now just as fast in the Brick as I was in the Cayman (which was pretty slow)!! And the Brick is slushbox. Which by the way is significantly faster just putting it in sport mode and letting it change (as opposed to locking it in second).

A good torque converter can make the car easier to drive when you have more engine than tire. Jim Hall ran a two speed semi-automatic in his Chaparrals back in the days of rock hard tires coupled to big V8's. It's also a lot easier to get a good, consistent launch off the line. That's why a lot of drag racers use automatics. Downshifting, being in the right gear on corner exit and the power lost in the torque converter make them much less attractive for road racing.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C