24 Hours of LeMons @ Barber

Discussions related to SCCA Road Racing, Time Trials, and PDX.
CaptJordi

Re: 24 Hours of LeMons @ Barber

Post by CaptJordi »

Facebook.com/knoxvegaslowballers

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

- Jordi Dunn
Pointer Cone Photography
http://www.pointercone.com
CaptJordi

Post by CaptJordi »

Contour just keeps trucking. The Geo is having major transmission problems. 35 minutes to go, and we are just 5 ahead of 2nd place

- Jordi Dunn
Pointer Cone Photography
integra55

Post by integra55 »

CaptJordi wrote:Facebook.com/knoxvegaslowballers

thanks
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
CaptJordi

Post by CaptJordi »

Well we are in the RV heading home! The race was fan-freaking-tastic! The Contour did awesome! The Geo was amazing!

Saturday we were sitting pretty in both classes. We spent the evening hanging out with other teams instead of changing an engine. Got to do some trailer bowling and some spray painting of the Fury. Gary helped the Kia team, who was running one of his old engines, change the engine after a rod decided it wanted to escape.

Sunday morning started out great! But early afternoon the Geo started having major transmission problems. We had 3rd gear.... Thats all you really need, right? But then Brandon called in to tell us he was dead on track with no electric. So we got towed in, throw a new fuse in (that we stole out of the RV) and try to figure out how the heck to get the car started in 3rd. They hooked it up to a truck, towed it to the fueling station, somehow managed to get it running and Gary was off!

About a lap later we get a call on the radio with "this is absolutely awful!"

Somehow he managed to keep it going and cranking out steady slow laps as the 3rd place car moved up to 2nd and began gaining on us. We started with a 16 lap lead over 2nd and we were watching it fade...

Lucky for us, the rain came! It kept everyone slow and made it easier on us. But after about an hour and a half of limping the car around, it finally through in the towel and left him sitting on the track with no power.

We were freaking out! The 2nd place car was only 4 laps down... 4:50... 10 minutes to go... They could catch us... Crap.... And then, our prayers to the LeMons gods paid off!! They threw the checkered out early! We managed to pull off a C Class win!!

The Contour spent the entire day trying to catch the Squirtin Coronas Ben, which is a car Gary also helped build and has raced in. Despite an awesome fight, they finished up 2nd on B class. Hopefully either David or Keith can get on and post a better update from their pits!

As we are sitting in the awards just excited about having the class C trophy in our hands, the judges started talking about the Index of Effluency. For those not familiar with LeMons, the IOE trophy is the top one the one everyone wants and is the hardest to get. Judge Phil started saying how normally they don't give the IOE to a class winner but there was no other option except the Geo! We were stoked!

So that is our update! I'm sure the boys can come on and add some more details! It was a great weekend and we all had a blast! And Barber is an awesome facility so if you ever get a chance to drive there, do it!

- Jordi Dunn
Pointer Cone Photography
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Congratulations to the Knoxvegas Lowballers and Leftovers. You all work really hard at all this and I'm glad to see it pay off.

sent from typotalk
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
TedV

Post by TedV »

Congrats y'all!!
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
keith

Post by keith »

Yes, as Jordi has already shown, it was a very successful weekend for the Knoxvegas Lowballers and Leftovers. I would like to thank David and Jed for all if the work they did on the car when I wasn't available to help...it's really amazing the amount of effort required to field a Lemons team. Also, there is no way this would have happened without help from others, so BIG thanks to Aaron Carrol (and wife Hailey for putting up with us working in their basement), Jon Coatney (who does awesome work in his welding shop Tennfab), Gary Mitchell, Jerome Testerman, and others.
Keith Davenport
BS 94 '02 Silver S2000
Jek

Post by Jek »

Also, although it wasn't really mentioned directly anywhere, a huge achievement for Gary and Aaron was to do so well in their car while using team resources to field a 2nd car. That's a big deal and something that only the best LeMons teams have accomplished...to take 1st in C class, get the IoE trophy, and have the new car place 2nd in B class at the same time is probably unheard of. Great work guys!
David Black
Johnson City, TN
'97 BMW M3 - STU 48