New Novice to Solo

Discussions related to Solo
Gen52SS

New Novice to Solo

Post by Gen52SS »

Don't beat me up too bad guy's and gal's I'm new to all this. I did do a search in the forum and also read all the material SCCA provided me. I'm 67 years young. I drive a 2014 Camaro SS V8 stock not an 1LE package. I've been looking for something like this since I bought my ride. I read about how the Camaro's don't do so well in competition but I'll be in this just to have some fun. I became a SCCA member today. I want to buy my own helmet but don't want to spend $$$$ on one. Even reading the list of helmets that qualify I'm still confused. Bell makes a nice open face helmet the 500 it say's nothing about Snell or M2010 M2005, M2000, K2010, K2005, K98 cert just a motorcycle helmet DOT. I know I can use one at the event but would rather I had my own since I want to attend most of the events on the 2014 schedule. What's some helmets that would be acceptable. I also have a Facebook group of fellow Gen 5 Camaro's who may also want to join in on some of this. If 5 or so of us registered to Solo (Novice) would we race each other or be put into a class. I read something about my camaro in the book It would be in FS class N for Novice FSN? I'm all in for having a good time and don't care what class I run. If weather will cooperate on the 23rd I would like to go. Any help would be appreciated.....BTW any old farts like me running in our region?
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
John Brown

Re: New Novice to Solo

Post by John Brown »

nope.. no old farts here... :lol:

welcome...~! your gonna have some BIG fun!!
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

Any help with the helmet question or the class I will run in?....thanks
Paul Breitweiser
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Prolly F Stock Street..

Helmets..well,Iv not looked at helmets in about 5 yrs so Im kinda in the dark as to whats out there right now
flier129

Post by flier129 »

Welcome!

M = motorcycle
SA = motorsports competition
K = kart racing

Any of those can work, but I believe the helmet has to be within the past 10 years. So anything 2005+ will work, but if you're buying a new helmet you're in the clear. Tons of helmet found here: http://www.soloperformance.com/Helmets- ... _c_13.html

A stock, non-ZL1, Camaro falls into F-Street. The class allows +/- 1" in wheel diameter, any 140+ TW tire, front or rear(only 1) sway-bar, aftermarket shocks, and any cat-back exhaust. It's a pretty basic class and it's made for cars like yours.

I highly recommend bringing all your Camaro buddies out to auto-x! It makes it that much more fun. Remind them all that little hair-dresser cars are fairly popular and they win at this all the time :lol:

John is lying, he's been racing a lot longer than I've been alive :D
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

If you're in Knoxville, you might try going by Cycle Gear off Cedar Bluff Rd. Just be sure to get a Snell rated helmet. They will try to sell you a standard DOT helmet but you have to have the Snell sticker on the inside. I have bought a few helmets from them and I like being able to try them on for fit before purchasing.

Your class would be F Street. For novice, you would be NFS. We will have a driver's school or two this year so be sure to sign up for those, if you are able.

Welcome!
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
dfoulk

Post by dfoulk »

If you buy a motorcycle helmet, look for the Snell sticker under the padding inside the helmet. At cycle shops there are a lot of DOT only helmets which will not meet SCCA requirements. A number of years ago, there was an SCCA tech bulletin about some safety concerns with closed or full face helmets in air bag equipped cars, in the event of air bag deployment. I think the tests indicated it is possible to get a broken jaw from an air bag impact on the the chin guard part of the helmet. This was a while back and air bags can vary their force now so it may not matter anymore.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
Dewey Foulk
dfoulk

Post by dfoulk »

Well, I did not see Mark's post before I typed. Forgive the info repeat.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
Dewey Foulk
EliseAutoXr

Post by EliseAutoXr »

Welcome!
Bradley Allen
STM 7
06 Lotus Elise (some stock)
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

http://www.saferacer.com/g-force-pro-ph ... 010-helmet

I like this helmet for autoX.

BTW I am 67 and am not the only regular old fart-- welcome
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
TedV

Post by TedV »

Howdy, and welcome.

I think they hit the high spots on the helmets and classing
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

Another question just came up. When I went to fill out my entry application today for the February 23 event. The last question was my car number? Being a novice and this is my first event I don't have a car number...is this something I choose myself? Should I leave this blank? If I leave it blank how will I be able to make the numbers/class to proper size before the event? ....thanks
Paul Breitweiser
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Somebody will have some painters tape.. wont hurt the finish of the car and adds a real professional "racing" look to the car...

:mrgreen:
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

John Brown wrote:Somebody will have some painters tape.. wont hurt the finish of the car and adds a real professional "racing" look to the car...
So do I pick my own number or will one be given to me. If one is assigned should then leave on the entry form car number blank?
Paul Breitweiser
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

pick your number, but make it something simple like 11 or 1 or 7 etc..