Last nights meeting..and Novices.

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
John Brown

Re: Last nights meeting..and Novices.

Post by John Brown »

thrdeye wrote:I think for our courses at Pellissippi, lining the course is just not going to be possible due to the crossovers.

this. ^^
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

benk wrote:
John Brown wrote:Hey.. if somebody wants to line the courses.. (with input and placement by the designer)................. I say knock yo bad self out! :lol:

I hate when the line is totally off base or just plain "out of line" :?
In this context I think the line would be intended not to indicate the proper line but more to make sure novices know which side of the cones to be on and the general direction of the next gate. More experienced drivers and those that pick up the course and can remember it would simply ignore the line.

What I mean is not from a proper driving line perspective... but more of a "Who da hell lined this course...was he drunk?" perspective.. :lol:

you might be real surprised at how some folks "line" out a course... Iv seen some really silly examples.
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

But it does LOOK cool. Which is mostly why I think it's done at national events.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

As I mentioned at the meeting, I don't think we should lose sight of encouraging people to ride before they drive. We have plenty of experienced people, and the Pro guys have 1-3 not-scored runs during which someone could ride and see somewhat "how it's done" before getting in their car and trying to figure it out.
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
youtube.com/lapoftheworld
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

with cross overs, we find it all the more important to have chalk line the course.

Yes, it takes more time... yes it's more work, but for walking the course... especially at the college with the elevation changes and the two lots and so on I've found it a challenge to know what the course designer's idea for direction is.

The entire course doesn't need to be lined... just some elements and some entry/exit areas to give a semblance of direction and layout. Kim has struggled as a new person down there because she gets lost and said how she is used to seeing courses lined a little bit. I think this is the only region I've run where the course isn't lined.

How about courses being finalized a little ahead of time and printing some course maps? We used to be kinda hap-hazard about courses and we got to the point where we had to get dedicated people to do the courses and our event chair and SSS got copies before the event and we then approved it, and then you get copies made.

Sure, the course might get tweaked on site, but the general idea doesn't change.

I also agree that making ride alongs mandatory is a bad idea in practice. making it known at the drivers meeting that new people are encouraged to take advantage of the intructors and helpers that are there if you have trouble on course.

I don't get car sick easy ( as long as I'm not reading ) and I've gotten used to new drivers. Not everyone is.

Just some of my random thoughts thru the day.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
CobraJim

Post by CobraJim »

Having the novices ride along with someone before their runs would be helpful (I know it was for me) but the problem is we usually have only 2 run groups so they are either shagging cones or driving. I know it depends on turnout but if we ran 3 run groups and put the novices in the last one they would have an opertunity to get more ride along time before their turn to drive. As far as the chaulk goes; I agree there would be issues with our typical course layout; but I remember what it was like when I first started ( just a sea of cones ).... marking the course won't make anyone faster and it might not help them find the correct line but I think it would help keep some from getting lost and wandering around on course ( slowing down the event for everyone else ) and that's the biggest complaint I hear from club members in regards to the novices
Jim Simmons
6 xp, em, stm
Novice Chair
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

see I have missed a meeting that made since . My take,Less than four events lets help the driver out.The driver will know after four events if they still need help or guidance. We will provide that. Jim has a very good walk the course teaching method. Granted that will not always work with some drivers. So we as seasoned drivers watch those on course and decide who does and who does not need help. Simple use of rules will make every thing flow.What did I do wrong on the bottom without a DNF I, question could relate to you went too fast or slow. SEE were I,m going TEAM!!,Lets make it work. We Will have a great first 2014 EVENT!!!!! and season.
Bob Colbert
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

First ...thank you all for this thread. It has helped me in several ways. I am a 67 year old fart novice and have been looking for something like this Solo AutoX for sometime. After reading all of your posts and ideas the first positive thing I hear is it looks like (for the most part) you want to help your novice drivers so they will have fun and return. I will be attending my first event February 23 at Pellissippi. I plan on going to as many events as I can throughout the season. I speak only as a novice when I try to explain to you how I feel starting my first season. I have watched many video's I mean many video's on AutoX on YouTube some good some not so good. My biggest fear (challenge) will be that I get lost on the course because I won't be able to figure out all the cones. I'm going into this with a mindset of just getting to complete the course CLEAN. I will let the speed part handle itself in time as I gain more experience. When watching video's that had chalk lines I was able to figure the course I was viewing easily without having walked it or looked at it on paper. It was very easy for me to follow all the turns. Not all of these video's had the entire course chalked out only at areas that might be difficult for the novice to navigate. The video's I watched that only had cones some I could understand after watching a few times others were totally confusing to me. As for a driver riding with me for help...I'm open to any and all help you want to give me sign me up now. I would be glad to have any help you give. I want to have some fun running these events with improvement at each event. Just the fact that you are willing to talk about ways to make this experience the best you can for us newbies and not just sending us out to figure it all out ourselves is a big PLUS . What ever you decide as the more experienced racers for these events is fine by me. I just want to have fun and do this the right way.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Thanks for the feedback, Paul. These kinds of things are what we need to hear since several of us were novices quite a while ago.

Please feel free to come find me if there is anything I can do to help you. I will be one of the drivers in the blue Mustang GT500 that is rotating in the pictures on the home page here.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
integra55

Post by integra55 »

glad to have you join us Paul … the only real problem with chalking our courses at Pillissippi is that the areas that need the most marking are the same areas that don't lend themselves to marking … usually where we cross back over an area already run … some people have a real problem with this … but ask for ride alongs, get drivers (that know what they're doing .. not your buddies that are starting out themselves) … it takes a bit of learning, but it's well worth the effort

so one "ol fart" to another .. welcome, hope you'll have as much fun as I do
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
CobraJim

Post by CobraJim »

Welcome Paul; I'm the local novice chairman; I drive a grey cobra kit car. please come find me when you get to the event site. I'll be happy to step you through the process of getting tech inspected, registered, and finding the coarse ect.... The main thing is to be safe and have a good time and that's my specialty

see ya there
Jim Simmons
6 xp, em, stm
Novice Chair
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

CobraJim wrote:Welcome Paul; I'm the local novice chairman; I drive a grey cobra kit car. please come find me when you get to the event site. I'll be happy to step you through the process of getting tech inspected, registered, and finding the coarse ect.... The main thing is to be safe and have a good time and that's my specialty

see ya there
Thanks to all for your response. Jim ..you being the novice chairman I'll make sure to check in with you...thanks again.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

CobraJim wrote:put the novices in the last one they would have an opertunity to get more ride along time before their turn to drive.
One thing I mentioned at the meeting (Jim had to work)...

*If* we get the novices in the second run group...

One thing that several last year noted would be helpful...

Is to swap them chasing cones from one lot to the other about the middle of the first run group.

Several said they had "their" side of the course memorized, but didn't even remember what the other side looked like.

Just something to consider,

Mike
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

OK Novice parade lap with navigators on the slow slow so they might understand the layout of the course and why they need to turn where?? and go when ??
Bob Colbert
integra55

Post by integra55 »

that's something that actually works … meets with LOTS of resistance from the old timers … we did this at Clemson a-x's (for everyone) and it was amazing how few DNF's we got … still doesn't seem to chime with the people that thing one of the biggest parts of a-x is learning the course … not how much fun we can make it for novices (so they might return)
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245