New to scca

Discussions related to Solo
MARKP

Re: New to scca

Post by MARKP »

With it being completely stock, your best chance for competitiveness would be G Street.

Sent from the Galaxy
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
Saabdoc

Post by Saabdoc »

What is a good lap time for a gs car and a stx?
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

Completely depends on the day and course. And your competition.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
Saabdoc

Post by Saabdoc »

TennTechMan wrote:Completely depends on the day and course. And your competition.
So the course is different each time even if it is at same track?
CobraJim

Post by CobraJim »

Saabdoc wrote:
TennTechMan wrote:Completely depends on the day and course. And your competition.
So the course is different each time even if it is at same track?

Yes; the layout of the course will change even at the same venue (pelli) depending on who the event chair is, the course designer, the safety officer ect.

You will notice the same elements repeating over time; but everyone likes to put their own twist on it
Jim Simmons
6 xp, em, stm
Novice Chair
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Saabdoc wrote:What is a good lap time for a gs car and a stx?
There is a performance index that crudely equalizes performance between classes. It's referred to as RTP or PAX or RTP/PAX. It's a correction factor less than or equal to 1.000 that is applied to the run time. Higher performance cars have an index value closer to 1 than lower performance cars. An A Modified car has an index value of 1.000. The 2014 index for GS is 0.806 while the index for STX is 0.827. So using the index value, if the STX car time was 60.000 seconds, the GS car would tie the STX car on PAX with a run of 61.563. That is, both cars would have a corrected time of 49.620 seconds.

The operative word, though, is crudely. Relative performance varies with, among other things, the grip level of the surface. Still, an STX car should be faster than a GS car, all other things being equal. Which they almost never are.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
Saabdoc

Post by Saabdoc »

dewittpayne wrote:
There is a performance index that crudely equalizes performance between classes. It's referred to as RTP or PAX or RTP/PAX. It's a correction factor less than or equal to 1.000 that is applied to the run time. Higher performance cars have an index value closer to 1 than lower performance cars. An A Modified car has an index value of 1.000. The 2014 index for GS is 0.806 while the index for STX is 0.827. So using the index value, if the STX car time was 60.000 seconds, the GS car would tie the STX car on PAX with a run of 61.563. That is, both cars would have a corrected time of 49.620 seconds.

The operative word, though, is crudely. Relative performance varies with, among other things, the grip level of the surface. Still, an STX car should be faster than a GS car, all other things being equal. Which they almost never are.
I am sure I will have to repeat this. Lol.
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Saabdoc wrote:
dewittpayne wrote:

I am sure I will have to repeat this. Lol.
for years.... many,many years.. lol
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

The short version is: if I spent the thousands of dollars necessary to fully prep a GS car to the maximum allowed for STX, it better be faster.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

CobaltSSlow

Post by CobaltSSlow »

I'm sure it would (should) be on equal tires. I bet the stock street class will make the upgrades more beneficial

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk
Saabdoc

Post by Saabdoc »

I am getting all geared up. Can't wait to try this
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Saabdoc,

You'll need to put more air in your tires. The manufacturers recommended pressure is for comfort and wear, not performance. I'm guessing something like 40 psi all around, but you should ask someone who drives a fairly large front wheel drive car. Also, you should ask the grid chief to put you near the end of the line so you have time to get a ride with someone. The course looks very different at speed in a car compared to walking.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

Saabdoc

Post by Saabdoc »

I did not pre register. Was not sure if I was going to have a car ready. After many hours of labor. It's ready. Can I register in the am at the event or do I need to do it before?
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

In the morning is fine!
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
Saabdoc

Post by Saabdoc »

Thanks for everyone's help Sunday. I had so much fun. Can't wait til I actually have a fast car. Lol. I am definitely going to come out again.