Solo2 Questions for starting back...

Discussions related to Solo
marknoakes

Solo2 Questions for starting back...

Post by marknoakes »

I've been out of Solo2 for quite a while but would like to get started back this year. I'll be running the same 86 Corvette vert that I ran in BSP in the late 90s to early 2000s before kids, work, and school sunk all optional activities for years. Neither the car nor I is competitive any more and don't expect to be that fast but at least want to have some fun with it, and that's good enough.

Some questions...

1. Helmets.

The helmet rules confuse me. I'm sure my 90s Snell helmet is no longer acceptable. Where can I get a good reasonably priced Snell helmet, preferably locally?

2. Tires.

What's going on with the tire rules in SCCA? Can I still run racing tires in BSP? I've read some of the bulletins/upcoming changes and get the impression that race tire use is being scaled back. First, I'd rather not destroy my street tires. Second, the C4 vette goes from being a plowing dog to driving like a dream just with a swap to Hoosiers.

What are the latest/best racing tires to run -- Hoosier, Kumho, Toyo Proxes, etc.? (Many of my Lotus friends are running Toyo Proxes R888s on street and track and love them...not sure if they would be a good choice on a heavy car though.)

If it needs to be street tires, what are the best street tires to run these days?

I just have Firestone Firehawks on it now; not great for max handing but rock solid stable at 70mph in heavy rain. They are 275/40R17 on AFS brand 11 by 9.5 C4 style Grand Sport wheels. I do have a spare set of wheels I can use for Solo2...17 by 9.5 front and 17 by 11 rear. So tire size availability matters as well.

3. Stickers.

What are the current rules on stickers? I still have the old stickers on my front fenders. Do they have to be newer? What is the deal about having to put them on the front and if so where? Any where else?

4. Races.

I don't think I'll make the early June date...just blew a head gasket this past weekend...but hope to make late June. Also trying to corrupt 3 friends into getting into or getting back into Solo2.

Thanks for any comments back,

Mark Noakes
TedV

Re: Solo2 Questions for starting back...

Post by TedV »

Welcome back. On my cell phone, so some quick answers
1) motorcycle shops or the race shops but look for the Snell sticker. Just DOT won't do. Get the latest Snell you can find. M rated is OK, they are motorcycle rated and not fire resistant.
2) Street Prepared you can still run Hoosiers DOT tires. The new Street class is the one where tread wear comes into play.
3) old stickers are cool. Mine are from 20years ago and still have "Eastern TN Region" where the newer have "East TN Region". National still has us with the "ern" in out name. Hmmmm, does that make the new stickers wrong? Hehe
4) make it out when you can. My event attendance has declined for various reasons. Nobody holds that against me. I hope.. lol
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Welcome back, Mark!

Go get some Hoosiers. You can be the red-headed stepchild like the few of us that are left. Lol... you still have Rodney's phone number, right?

The motorcycle shop next to Puleo's on Cedar Bluff is a good place to get a helmet. Like Ted said, be sure you are getting a Snell helmet. They will try to sell you a DOT one sometimes.

Sent from the Galaxy
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
marknoakes

Post by marknoakes »

Hi Mark,

Actually I do need the phone number for the local distributor...I've lost it.

Any better brand that I could be using?

We'll see how fixing the gasket problem goes. Did some diagnostics today that were kind of confusing...time for a tear down.

Thanks,

Mark N
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

wwwbellhelments.com. Once there you will buy a quality helment. How much do you value your life? For most parts AX is ok to live.
Bob Colbert
Jek

Post by Jek »

Welcome back! Always fun to see more 'Vettes out :)

For a Snell M helmet, I recommend going to Cyclegear (http://www.cyclegear.com/). They have a shop locally out near Best Buy. They have way more helmet selection than most motorcycle shops, and know how they should fit better. Like others have said, just make sure you specify Snell rated, not just DOT.

If you're just going to AutoX with it, and not do track days, the cheapest well fitting and comfortable motorcycle helmet you can find that is Snell rated is fine, don't let Mr. Colbert confuse you with his post above ;) If you're going to go for track days or track racing, it's different of course, but any Snell rated helmet is safe for AutoX.
David Black
Johnson City, TN
'97 BMW M3 - STU 48
TedV

Post by TedV »

Appalachian Race Tire, 865 681-6622.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

If you want to run on street tires, your car might be eligible for CAM (Classic American Muscle) class. Race tires for a big car, your only good option is Hoosier.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

dewittpayne wrote:If you want to run on street tires, your car might be eligible for CAM (Classic American Muscle) class. Race tires for a big car, your only good option is Hoosier.
Yup. I'll have the Camaro out on the 8th for a shake down - thinking about running that class as well.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
marknoakes

Post by marknoakes »

I'm not familiar with the Classic American Muscle class. I'm barely into SP now but definitely in SP. What mods are allowed in CAM?

While the Hoosiers ARE expensive, the fun factor goes up significantly as well. I'm probably so rusty that it won't matter, but it was easy to throw it into a corner and then steer it with precision with the throttle...clean and fast. On street tires (can anyone recommend the best street tires?), the front end on a C4 vette plows terribly.

I still run an autoX wheel alignment on the car.

PS...the car's not looking good at the moment...looks like a more major engine tear down than I was thinking, and I'm pressed for time...will still see if I can make the second June date. I may try to come watch Sunday PM on June 8. Even if I do make June 22, I may be on street tires that first time.

Mark N
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Its pretty much wide open mods, just have to run street tires.

http://www.solomatters.com/introducing- ... muscle-cam

I'll be on some crappy 300 tw Kumhos myself. Trying to decide if I want to run this class or stick with SM.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Mark N,

There's been a substantial improvement in street tires since the early 2000's. They still don't stick as well as Hoosiers, but they're a lot better than they were. I still don't know whether I can go to the June 8 event, something about a wedding anniversary that day, but if I can, you're welcome to co-drive my car to see how street tires behave.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
marknoakes

Post by marknoakes »

The tires on that Corvette in the CAM link don't look street!

Something more to think about though.

Thanks,

Mark
marknoakes

Post by marknoakes »

I dug out my old autocross helmet...it is Snell 1995...I guess that's too far out of date? How many years are they good for?

A shame...it's a perfectly good helmet.

Mark N
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

15 years. So you'd need a 2000

sent from typotalk
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3