Bridgestone or any 140 tw tire
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
thrdeye

Re: New rules/Camaro 1le

Post by thrdeye »

lol, no, I mean which tires were you on when you ran this comparison?

I've heard many people take Hoosier autocross tires to the strip and get only minimal gains.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

My goodyears were not even in the ball park and the bridgestone was not that much better than the goodyear. If you only run 16 pounds of air in the rear on the hoosiers and the streets, the hoosier being a sticky tar will always beat a street tar unless you are on street drag radials.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

dewittpayne wrote:I still don't understand why being able to spend a zillion dollars on shocks doesn't violate the spirit of the Stock/Street rules, but wider wheels does.
Ok, I'll bite... It has more to do with limiting cost at the pointy end of competition than making sense to the casual autocrosser. The guy running for national competition (which is what the rules are written around) will just take the single adjustable or non adjustable shock and build it to suit their needs. If you allow double adjustables, you have the initial expense of buying the doubles but that is less than the cost of tearing down and rebuilding shocks multiple times to get the settings that work. Additionally, since optimum valving could vary from surface to surface, and different weather conditions, it keeps people from dragging multiple sets of shocks around and swapping them at events.

Back to your regularly scheduled off topic discussion... :lol:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
integra55

Post by integra55 »

dewittpayne wrote:John Brown,

I still don't understand why being able to spend a zillion dollars on shocks doesn't violate the spirit of the Stock/Street rules, but wider wheels does.
probably because shocks are a normal wear item … what you pay for replacement item can't be controlled …. the only way would be an exclusion list … wheels on the other hand aren't a normal wear item … that would be my take on the subject
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
jpvette

Post by jpvette »

A old thread but I think my original question was answered this weekend. For a big heavy car it put down a pretty good time. FTD stock :F street
And that G street celica was real close!
Jim Lindsey
'02 Z06
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

That G Stock Celica had a pretty seasoned pilotness... :wink:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
steverife

Post by steverife »

steverife wrote:My personal theory...

Weight alone isn't necessarily as much of a detriment as many say. If you can run a wider wheel/tire than your competition, you can afford to be at something of a weight disadvantage.

I think that Cantmaro will surprise some folks.
*cough*
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

jpvette wrote:A old thread but I think my original question was answered this weekend. For a big heavy car it put down a pretty good time. FTD stock :F street
And that G street celica was real close!

I was going to resurrect this thread to admit that I was wrong about the 1LE. You beat me to it. Gary is also a very good driver. The car was box stock on OEM tires, btw.

And he was running with stability control on.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
garkit

Post by garkit »

I guess I'll include my thoughts as someone who has a lot of experience in a 4th gen Camaro and very little in the 1LE 5th gen which some of you saw this weekend, I ran for years on 265 17 Kumho v710's, Victoracers and the occasional 275 17 Hoosier although I preferred the Kumho's due to lack of negative camber killing the outside edge of the Hoosiers. The last few years I had switched to tire class and was running some 2008 295 17 Kumho xs with a 180 rating and stayed with that tire the first part of this year in back in FS(no tire class), in my opinion the 295 xs tires were not that far off the r comps probably helped some by the wider width. This weekend was my 4th event in the new car, first 2 were wet and the goodyear's are terrible in the wet, third event was a night event in Asheville but I was in the early run group so there was a little warmth in the pavement, ended up fastest Street and 6th Pax out of 82. This car is easily better than my 4th gen car and although I'm a little biased I highly recommend it to anyone considering a fun American V8 car with more interior room than most, at least in the front. Had a nice time in Knoxville, thanks for a great event.