Safety at all times, even at home...

Discussions related to Solo
BrianChevy

Safety at all times, even at home...

Post by BrianChevy »

Just saw this on the news.

http://www.wate.com/story/26308257/man- ... lls-on-him

Let's ALL be careful out there folks. I don't know anything about this other than the story itself, but it reminds me to remind you to be safe and have MULTIPLE systems to keep the car upright and off you.

I always have 2, sometimes 3 systems to keep a car off of me.

Prayers for the family, whoever they are..

Brian
<>
TedV

Re: Safety at all times, even at home...

Post by TedV »

when I have a car up, I use jack stands, put the wheels I take off under the car and leave the jacks just shy of the lifting point in case it decides to fall.

The VW factory spare tire jacks have the nickname of Widow-maker. Several years ago I had to plug a right rear tire at night to make the working assignment at the ETR driver school the next morning. As the tire was going back on I noticed the car shift. I jumped back but not fast enough. Pinched my hand between the tire and the car. Dana had the front door of the house open so she heard me yell. She then proceeded to freak out and couldn't understand how to unwind the jack to get it back under the car. I couldn't work it one handed. Adrenalin kicked in as we pushed and lifted the car high enough to slip my hand out. There is a dent in the C pillar of the Jetta as a reminder.

Poo happens when you least expect it.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
ConeEater

Re: Safety at all times, even at home...

Post by ConeEater »

Was under the car for most of Saturday and this was on the back of my mind the whole time.

Didn't have wheels under the car, but had Jack stands and the Jack all in place and was very careful the whole time.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing