Hello from the new guy

Discussions related to Solo
scottymac

Hello from the new guy

Post by scottymac »

hey all,

i have always been interested in going fast be it on dirt, asphalt, 2 or 4 wheels full scale or rc, i have a genuine need for speed :rockon: I have always wanted to give autocross a try but my previous primary vehicle wasn't eligible for competition. (09 silverado crew cab, and other trucks before that) then about a month ago i picked up a 03 BMW 325i after selling my offroad toy and i need to scratch my itch. what better way to do it than with scca soloII competitions? So, after about a day of reading and trolling around forums i think that i will be pulling the trigger and trying my hand at a few events this year. I've read a ton of information over the past few days one of the things I'm not exactly clear on is what class would i fall in? would i just register as a novice? my car is all stock.
but wait, there is more...in my time spend looking at info my wife kept asking me questions, nothing that couldn't be answered by FAQ's, and to my surprise she said she wants to give it a shot as well! (i hope i never lose to my wife)she has a stock 2011 VW Jetta SE so would she register in lady's or novice?
i'm sure i will have plenty of questions before march 1 i just wanted to drop a line and say hello!
Scotty McClelland
03 E46 325i
TedV

Re: Hello from the new guy

Post by TedV »

Welcome! Someone with the rule book handy will chime in shortly. On cell phone at ( best not incriminate myself) so not able to look it up.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
CobraJim

Post by CobraJim »

Welcome Scotty; glad to hear you and the wife want to come out and play. I'm not the best when it comes to answering class questions but honestly that's something that can be done the day of the race. If you choose to run in novice you just have to let registration know when you check in the day of the race. As far as your wife goes most ladies choose to run in open class because there is more competition but that's up to her. You better be ready though cause the ladies can really drive. One last thing, if you can make it to the test and tune the day before our 1st race you and your wife would be welcome to ride along with me and a bunch of other drivers. It's a Lotta fun and you'll get a good idea how our courses work before having to drive one yourself.
Jim Simmons
6 xp, em, stm
Novice Chair
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

I would definitely recommend trying to make it to the test and tune. A note on ladies class, we don't normally have a ladies class at regional events due to most of the ladies running open or rookie. My wife and I will be at the test and tune and we'll be happy to take you on a couple runs. Always good to see new faces and my wife will be stoked for another female competitor!
Brian Robbins
XP 45
scottymac

Post by scottymac »

thanks you for the warm welcome! we will try to make it out for the test and tune. my new work schedule for next year will have me working some saturdays so i don't want to get my hopes up on making it out there but i will be free on sunday's.
my wife will be happy as well that there will be other females around. that should make it a little less intimidating for her.
Scotty McClelland
03 E46 325i
integra55

Post by integra55 »

here is the SCCA rule "book" (2014) … the 2015 rules draft is also out, but for classification, I don't expect yours or her cars to change class

these rules can be a bit of a PITA … but for a purely stock car, scroll through until you find the listing of cars and classes (stock class is now referred to as Street)

you should, with enough digging, be able to find each or y'alls cars … good luck, and glad to have ya joining us
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
EliseAutoXr

Post by EliseAutoXr »

Welcome!
Bradley Allen
STM 7
06 Lotus Elise (some stock)
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

If Walter meant to put in a link, it didn't work, so here it is:

http://www.scca.com/assets/2014%20Solo% ... 0links.pdf

It's a PDF file so you need Adobe Reader.

The 2015 draft rules are here:

http://www.scca.com/assets/2015%20Solo% ... educed.pdf

By my reading, your BMW would run in F Street
BMW
128i, 135i, & 135is (2008-13)
323i & 328i (E46) (1999)
3 Series (6-cyl, including M3;
E46, E90, E91, E92, E93)
(2000-13)

5 series (NOC)
6 series coupe
8 series coupe
M5 (1988-93, 2000-03
Your wife's Jetta would be in H Street
Volkswagen
air-cooled engine (all)
diesel engine (non-turbo) (all)
Beetle (2.0L)
Dasher
Fox
Golf, GTI & Jetta (8v, all)
Golf TDI
Jetta (2.5L) (2005-14)
Jetta TDI (2005-06, 2009-14)
New Beetle (NOC)
Passat (4-cyl non-turbo)
Quantum
Rabbit & GTI (all, NOC)
Rabbit (2007-09)
Scirocco (8v)
Classing doesn't seem to have changed for 2015 in the draft rules.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
integra55

Post by integra55 »

thanks DeWitt … some how the paste part didn't "work" … probably due to CRS syndrome … LOL
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Welcome Scotty and wife! Hope you both can make it out early this year.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

Welcome Scott looks like F Street will be your home for the BMW . I also run FS and can use more cars in the class ..I'm usually at every event and will be happy to help you with anything you might need to help you along. I was in your shoes last season as a novice see you then.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
scottymac

Post by scottymac »

awesome! thank you for the classing info and the links to the rule books, I really appreciate the help.
Scotty McClelland
03 E46 325i