What now?

Discussions related to Solo
dewittpayne

Re: What now?

Post by dewittpayne »

Why do you want a ton of compression? Optimum grip is somewhere near 65% of critical damping. Overdamping may seem to feel better, but the grip will be reduced and bumps will be a problem.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
steverife

Post by steverife »

This is kinda going off topic because I'm thinking simple off the shelf options, but...

That's why I'd want lots of compression. The idea is to run a lot of low speed compression (that will help control roll) with a digressive curve (that lets the wheels stay planted on bumpy surfaces).
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Yes, not really the thread to discuss suspension dynamics. Interested parties might want to read Autocross to Win for more information.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
dfoulk

Post by dfoulk »

steverife wrote:Bringing this back up...

Still debating trading for a Focus ST versus buying a 2nd car like an AP2 (which is something I won't have time to do until March or later)...

One of the things I don't like about the FoST is that you can't get any front shocks for a '14, and with another change for the 15's, there isn't really anything in the works. I really hate the idea of not having tuning options and giving that up to the 13's that I'd run against.
My research on Ford part numbers shows the 2013 and 2014 Focus STs have the same steering knuckle. Which means the bottoms of the struts where they go in the pinch clamps on the knuckles are also the same. The 2014 brake is slightly larger in diameter so it is possible the strut spring perch is different, I guess. Do you know if the front struts are actually different at the top or at the spring perch or if suppliers just have not caught up in their catalogs? I have a set of 2014 ST front brakes that I am going to test fit on a 2012 non ST Focus which uses the same knuckles also.
steverife

Post by steverife »

The perch is different. You could fit the spring/strut from a '13 onto the '14.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
steverife

Post by steverife »

Bringing this back up....

I pretty much decided that a '15 WRX is the best all around do everything car for me. These weren't really on my radar until Dixie, but they really impressed me there and I spent a lot of time talking to Danny Kao and he even let Kristo and I take the car out.

I also stumbled across a decent STX-prepped RX8. I'm currently waiting on a VIN, so I can get good insurance quotes and really compare costs between WRX and RX8+Frontier. Assuming costs are about equal...

WRX
Pros
- new car
- immediately competitive out of the box
- great daily
- only 1 car

Cons
- kinda hard to find right now
- have to deal with trade in/take depreciation hit on a truck that I love
- may not be the most fun to autocross
- only 1 car, so will be inconvenient if I ever have issues

RX8
Pros
- keep my truck!
- more fun to autocross
- 2 cars!

Cons
- It is an RX8
- Not sure how much I would be giving up in STX, may find myself dumping a much of money into it
- 2 cars to keep up with

Thoughts.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Scoob

Post by Scoob »

The WRX sounds very appealing now. And contrary to your assertion that it wouldn't be fun to autox, I loved my AWD Subie. Set up the rear stiffly for more RWD-like action and hammer the throttle. I really miss that car more than any others I've autoxed.

RE: the one or two car solution, if you have the space and the money for insurance, two is always better for those instances when you need to do something with one - or something breaks.

And I don't like taking the depreciation hit on a new car. I'd try that RX8 for a season or two to see if it makes me happy. If not, find a used '15 WRX and sell the RX8 to someone then.
Scott Boito
#68 CAM-S C5 Z06
SEDIV SSS

BetterOffRacing
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

My insurance went up some with the RX8, but don't let that stop you. It wasn't anything drastic. I'm not sure what you'd be giving up in STX compared to the twins, but the car is not too far from CS that you couldn't bring it back and know that you'll be in a good car.

Plus, it's already got really good coilovers on it, which is most of the battle. Yeah, you might change springs or something, but there's not a crazy amount of money to throw at these power wise because they just don't do much more.

I drove a bugeye WRX at Sunday's event. I didn't miss it. Yeah, the 2015 is better, but still.

And financially.....

The price point of the RX8 is so so so so good. 8k vs 25k, and the car will be more fun....and you can keep your truck. There is no decision to be made here.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
flier129

Post by flier129 »

STX RX8 for sure!

You get to keep your truck and you can tow the rx8 if necessary. I think the rx8 will be more fun(faster too) to autox with deep competition in a popular class.
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
steverife

Post by steverife »

I would also love to be able to run heads up against Kristo everywhere.

So, who wants to take me to Savannah?
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

If I wasn't driving to pa this weekend, I'd take you.

I agree on most everything, but I admit I love the new suby.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
flier129

Post by flier129 »

I'm half-way-ish to Savannah and I'm free this weekend. That probably doesn't help you much, but let me know if you want me to drive you from Asheville/Greenville to Savannah this weekend. :-D
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
steverife

Post by steverife »

Insurance checks out okay enough.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Sweet!
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Congrats on the new (to you) car. I hear they get awesome gas mileage too. :-)
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story