What do you do to pay for your SCCA habit? (networking)

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
flier129

Re: What do you do to pay for your SCCA habit? (networking)

Post by flier129 »

Interesting to see what everyone else does.

I work as tech support("voip support engineer" but I haven't earned that title....) for a VoIP systems integrator and distributor(VaD). Thankfully, I only deal with service providers(Comcast, Verizon, Megapath, 8x8, etc) and not the end-users. We deal with several different manufactures, Cisco, Adtran, Polycom, Digium, Jabra, Panasonic, etc. Always looking to learn, as it's a requirement in this field as most of you know. Working towards my CCNA & CCNA:Voice currently and Adtran's ATSP as well. I'll most likely stay with VoIP for a good while and definitely networking.
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

I carry BIG GUNS!
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

jcox07 wrote:If i told you, id have to kill you

FTFY :wink:
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)
jcoatney

Post by jcoatney »

I am a full time stay at home Dad, and part time welder/fabricator/powder coater. I am certified by the American Welding Society and have 27+ years of experience. We recently had another baby so I am not doing any large fabrication jobs for a while but I still have time to do minor repairs, small jobs, and powder coating if anyone needs my services. Still time to get wheels or other parts coated before the season starts. Most wheels are $300 a set for a single stage colors and SCCA peeps get the same 10% discount I give to shops that are frequent customers, so $270. My website sucks because I never have time to update it but there are a few pictures there.
Jon Coatney
03 Mach 1-CAMC 99
http://www.tennfab.com/
matt15fan

Post by matt15fan »

If it heats or cools something, I can fix it.
Matt Earl
2004 Ford Focus ZX3 Rally Car
Tyler H

Post by Tyler H »

I'm in charge of all of the optical network design and engineering for large business customers of the cable company. <ducks bricks and rotten fruit> Part-time volunteer for the amateur race drivers' cable telvision outreach and advocacy group.
72RatCamaro

Post by 72RatCamaro »

I manage Walker's Collision Repair in Seymour, soon coming to Farragut as well. We work on everything from door dings to train wrecks. Been doing this for about 7 years now. Its nice having access to an alignment machine and rack.

If anyone needs any help with anything crash related let me know. I can also order wholesale tires from tirerack. Discount isn't great after taxes but every bit helps.
Andrew Hodge
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

72RatCamaro wrote:I manage Walker's Collision Repair in Seymour, soon coming to Farragut as well. We work on everything from door dings to train wrecks. Been doing this for about 7 years now. Its nice having access to an alignment machine and rack.

If anyone needs any help with anything crash related let me know. I can also order wholesale tires from tirerack. Discount isn't great after taxes but every bit helps.
Dang. We should've started this thread a few weeks sooner (before I bought my tires). :?
Brian Robbins
XP 45
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

Was owner operator of two Full Service Gas stations which had a lot of success. I drove regularly at Englishtown Raceway Drag strip. In the big gas shortage of 1973 I lost most of my service business and had to limit my gas sales to regulars at 10 gallons per day, I was forced to close both stations altogether. I began turning wrenches for someone else as a certified Automotive ASE mechanic in a large privately owned 10 bay service center. I had a massive heart attack in 1982 and took quite sometime to return to work. I was advised to look for another line of work became Parts Manager for the same shop. In 1988 I moved on to a Honda Dealership as Parts Manager until more serious heart problems returned in 1999. I had to take an early retirement in 2000. I retired and moved to Seymour, TN from New Jersey in 2003. I went through lots of medical treatments in the next few years. I was finally recognized (after years) by the Military a 100% disabled veteran from 3 tours in Vietnam. I am fortunate enough to have had a savings and pension …the VA checks aren’t bad either. I can pretty much spend what I want but before I spend money on my toys, I make sure my charities are taken care of first. Only he knows when my time is up so I’ll spend whatever I need to keep myself as active as I can. I’m having a blast… reflexes have slowed but AutoX makes me feel young again even at 69. Walker Automotive did my alignment as well.
Last edited by Gen52SS on Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

72RatCamaro wrote:I manage Walker's Collision Repair in Seymour, soon coming to Farragut as well...
This is good to know. I have a Camaro that will need paint as soon as funds allow (probably years from now).
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
awdbandito

Post by awdbandito »

Sales management for a manufacturer's rep.
We specialize in instrumentation and controls,
If you need to measure force, torque, vibration, position, displacement, etc....
www.flwse.com
J.D.
Pewter Sonoma

Post by Pewter Sonoma »

jcox07 wrote:I carry BIG GUNS!
You speak the truth....I saw you leaving New Hope Center yesterday - I was with a vendor in the lobby.
2011 ETR SCCA never made it to an event Champion
2001 Camaro SS Convertible - LS1, 6-speed, GMPP HotCam, Full Exhaust, Konis, Springs, Sways, Roll Cage, Wilwood Brakes.
Pewter Sonoma

Post by Pewter Sonoma »

Mechanical Engineer - been working in Additive Manufacturing (3D Printing) of metal components for about 4 years. I work with all the DOE sites on the technology. Fun field thus far.
2011 ETR SCCA never made it to an event Champion
2001 Camaro SS Convertible - LS1, 6-speed, GMPP HotCam, Full Exhaust, Konis, Springs, Sways, Roll Cage, Wilwood Brakes.
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

Surface Mine and Reclamation Inspector for the Department of the Interior (OSM). Small branch of the DOI making sure the coal miners are not sending sediment and other contaminants into your waterways, we do other stuff as well, but... nutshell.
Check out some of the build.
https://www.youtube.com/user/90civichb
Cody Yankey
jpvette

Post by jpvette »

I am a fourth generation union Boilermaker. Certified rigger, certified pressure welder with unlimited certs for carbon and stainless tig, smaw on plate and pipe. All of our pressure welds are 100% x-ray. I am currently working as a general foremen for Chicago Bridge & Iron at plant Vogtle in Georgia. We are building 2 new nuclear reactors, my crew is working on the containment vessels. If you have kids, niece's, nephew's etc that need a career I encourage them to look at all the craft's. A apprenticeship is a good choice if they aren't college bound.
Jim Lindsey
'02 Z06