Cam class

Discussions related to Solo
BrianChevy

Re: Cam class

Post by BrianChevy »

Guys, I'm putting my car back to CAM rules in order to run some events locally this year. The Divisional and National events I'll be running in the WRX with Joshua Morgan out of Chattanooga. But here's my question about my 1987 IROC Z/28 that I ran in CP last year.

The CAM rules, and I'm reading them closely, dictate an 8" max rear spoiler. Mine is 10" and so I suppose that I need to cut it down (or just make another sheet of Lexan for meeting CAM legality). My question for you guys locally, is do you care about that right away?

I'll be on new wheels / tire combo that will be 200 TW, with interior installed BACK in the car and I certainly will follow ALL the other CAM rules to the letter, the only question is about the spoiler...
<>
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

BrianChevy wrote:
The CAM rules, and I'm reading them closely, dictate an 8" max rear spoiler. Mine is 10" and so I suppose that I need to cut it down (or just make another sheet of Lexan for meeting CAM legality). My question for you guys locally, is do you care about that right away...
Just my opinion don't think 2 inches will make a big difference at the speeds generated at most of our events. Unless you can sustain speeds more than 70 mph :D see you there. ...
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
BrianChevy

Post by BrianChevy »

Thanks Paul. I am planning on making another spoiler that will be 8 inches, just won't get it done before the first couple events.... My schedule is all up in the air for this spring anyway, hopefully i can spend evenings getting the car prepped.

I'm also looking forward to competing with some folks regionally. That CP class was pretty boring last year. :(
<>
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Brian,

At the pointy end of the standings at a National event, the difference between an 8 inch and a 10 inch spoiler might be significant. I'm not going to raise a fuss about it at a local event. I'm going to miss the first event anyway.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
BrianChevy

Post by BrianChevy »

I have borrowed the tools to cut a new spoiler so that I will be compliant. My National events will all be in STU in a different car for this year. NEXT YEAR, if CAM class is still around, i might start exploring some Divisional / National events with CAM, for now, it's just for fun for me. STU is the one for serious business. :)
<>
BrianChevy

Post by BrianChevy »

oh, and I don't think i would EVER be at "the pointy end of the standings", but I appreciate the compliment.
<>