RX8 Setup

Discussions related to Solo
Buck05Sti

Re: RX8 Setup

Post by Buck05Sti »

thrdeye wrote:Well, yes and no. The car leans much more with a passenger and just makes the problem show itself that way. Happened with Pilson too.
uh-oh Mark! now hes calling us both fat!
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Buck05Sti wrote:
thrdeye wrote:Well, yes and no. The car leans much more with a passenger and just makes the problem show itself that way. Happened with Pilson too.
uh-oh Mark! now hes calling us both fat!
Them's fightin' words. Think you can handle two fat boys on you, Mr. Kung-Fu? :lol:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

Yep same as my car,so as I have learned so far about asking for help on the I turn the wheel and the car keeps going issue GOOD LUCK on a fix But if they help you fix it THEN guess I would also like that fix. Have fun on this one. Is some one scared?? WTF this is a club right? or a (forget it ) for now.
Bob Colbert
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Well, almost thought I was going to have to bail on Dixie.

Fuel pump. First, I got shipped the wrong damn part yesterday, so had to road trip it to north knoxville last night to pick one up. Would be easy I guess, but damn that retaining ring. It was easier to loosen than it was to get back on as it appears it had been changed before. The ring was supposed to go on 1 and 1/4 turns. I got it 1-1/8 turns before I gave up. Anyway the car seems peppier and no leaks, seemingly.

The bigger issue was a rogue transmission fluid leak. It was pretty big. As in, when the car stopped at a light, it looked like cheech and chong. I noticed a little wetness on Sunday after the event, but thought "yeah rotary, meh". Anyway, as of tonight the leak was bad enough that it could not be ignored. Turns out there was a 14mm bolt on the side of the trans just above the starter that was loose. Remove starter, tighten bolt, no more leak. Transmisson was recently replaced...maybe Carter missed a bolt.

Probably need to top off the fluid though. Don't know how much I lost. This is of course right after I drop out the old fluid for some Amsoil.

May be small potatoes to some of you, but I am not the best mechanic in the world so I'm feeling pretty accomplished right about now.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Glad you got it fixed. I have another quart of trans fluid if you need it. I can leave it somewhere for you to pick up at your convenience. Just give me a call if you want it.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Alright, been a while so thought I'd give a little update.

I'm liking the car. I'm going to give it one more year after this one. But, I don't think I enjoy running such an old car. There is just too much little stuff to deal with (and some big stuff). I've replaced both front hubs, a new starter, and about to replace all of the plastic front-end pieces, and a lot of other things like that.

I also recently upgraded the ignition coils, plugs, and wires (after Dave helped me check the engine compression, which turned our great).

So, all in all, I've put about $1500 into the car on maintenance type stuff. Although the ignition parts are definitely an improvement. The car seems to be making all of its available power now. It would actually kick a little sideways while launching at the Pro this past weekend if I launched too high.

I might get the shocks rebuilt in Lincoln, but other than that, all I've got left is to replace the bumpstops. Then, I think I'll tweak the alignment to try to get a little extra rotation in sweepers.

My hat is off to anyone that has the time, money, and know how to really prep an ST level car on their own, especially an older car. There's so much to keep up with in Street as it is.
Chris Harp
steverife

Post by steverife »

The stuff replaced on the CRX was insane: battery, starter, alternator, clutch, fender liners, wheel bearings, then front hubs, tie rods, ball joints, rebuilt steering rack, etc, etc. Many of those were replaced multiple times.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

I put some gas in the Mazda...
.. and air in the tires.
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
steverife

Post by steverife »

That is how the CRX was for about the last 3 years, after I replaced everything imaginable.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
MARKP

Re: RE: Re: RX8 Setup

Post by MARKP »

John Brown wrote:I put some gas in the Mazda...
.. and air in the tires.
After you replaced nearly everything on the car a couple of years ago. :roll:

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Yes, putting gas in the RX-8....that's its favorite thing
Chris Harp
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Oh, lookie. my $600 worth of plastic shit just showed up. Looks like it might be a long night.

Chris Harp
TedV

Post by TedV »

You have double adjustable shocks on that thing there?
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Yes, dubbles. Admittedly, no idea what to do with bump/compression though.
Chris Harp
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Know anybody with a shaker rig? Short of that, there's the tech tips from Koni: http://www.koniracing.com/rrtuningguide.cfm
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner