Event #2 Sound "Hall of Shame"

Discussions related to Solo
John Brown

Re: Event #2 Sound "Hall of Shame"

Post by John Brown »

well... Brian, had you not gathered it back in heading towards the islands.... you'd prolly have taken them out. no more sound... lol
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

integra55 wrote:so the question is … what did my car read on the meter, and did it past the ear test from behind ? ( STS 55 )
Your runs were: 89.8, 90.6, 90.2, 80?, 90.3, and a 92.7 on the rerun.

As for the ear test - you've got a resonance out the back that is fairly typical for the louder 4 cylinders, that doesn't really show up on the meter but kind of echoes through the valley.

When I took this job I intended to find a way to measure that - measure the 4 cylinder cars out the back, akin to measuring the Cobras in the straight at 50' to the side.

I haven't found a fair way to do that, it doesn't really seem to reflect on a db meter unless you're right behind it - which I've found to be a really hard place to get a "fair" reading on a moving car.

John Brown wrote:you'd prolly have taken them out. no more sound... lol

lol
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
joker717

Post by joker717 »

Just curious did you get documentation on all cars or just the ones close to limit? I wasn't on the loud list but I wanted to know how close I was to that list.
J.R. Newman
2007 Maximus Prime
1989 Civic SI hatch #98
joker717

Post by joker717 »

MikeKelly wrote:

When I took this job I intended to find a way to measure that - measure the 4 cylinder cars out the back, akin to measuring the Cobras in the straight at 50' to the side.

I haven't found a fair way to do that, it doesn't really seem to reflect on a db meter unless you're right behind it - which I've found to be a really hard place to get a "fair" reading on a moving car.
lol

Mike my car has that resonance sound you were talking about. If you want to test different sound testing procedures I would be willing to stay late or come early to an event so you could test it in my car. pelli is by far the closest venue for me and and I would be willing to burn some fuel to make sure our 4 bangers aren't going to be a sound prolem
J.R. Newman
2007 Maximus Prime
1989 Civic SI hatch #98
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

joker717 wrote:Mike my car has that resonance sound you were talking about. If you want to test different sound testing procedures I would be willing to stay late or come early to an event so you could test it in my car.
I was thinking about it (again) on the way home - here is exactly what I need:

If I could catch one of "those cars" on a chassis dyno and get a "fair" 50' reading out the back at 5000 to 6000rpm full throttle loaded.

I'd compare that to Pelli readings and I'd "know" more than I "know" now - I could at least say "this" out the side equals about "that" out the back...

We're catching the Cobras "letting it eat" - if they pass at Pelli, they can pass a 360 degree sound limit.

I'm pretty sure there's stuff that didn't even merit mention earlier that can't pass @ 50' @5000rpm WOT out the back...

joker717 wrote:Just curious did you get documentation on all cars or just the ones close to limit? I wasn't on the loud list but I wanted to know how close I was to that list.
Your runs were 86, 85, 88, 90.1, 89.6. Welcome to the "hall of shame", I missed you earlier... lol
Mike Kelly
--Mr. Rate
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

jcox07 wrote:Mine was in the 86-87 level area, I guess it may be time to get new ones as the packing may be getting blown out. Thanks Mike
Just out of curiosity I looked at our readings at Dixie and we were in the low 90s there. Guess I should have mentioned it but I just figured "we're good". :lol:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Mike, could we maybe post a copy of the previous event results of sound at the following event? That would give us all a decent idea of what we are putting out there?
I think we're all curious of our sound levels and that way you're nit having to tell each person when they ask.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Mike, could we maybe post a copy of the previous event results of sound at the following event? That would give us all a decent idea of what we are putting out there?
I think we're all curious of our sound levels and that way you're nit having to tell each person when they ask.
Brian Huber
Scalded Snail Racing
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

We could do that if it would be helpful - mostly I'm trying to hit the high spots here so people have time to deal with it before the next event.
Mike Kelly
--Mr. Rate
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Yeah, seems like allot of people are curious, and even if they aren't close, it gives them an idea of what their Kim's are, should they be thinking about changing something
Brian Huber
Scalded Snail Racing
TedV

Post by TedV »

The hard part on posting all readings, it's hand written. Short of photocopying it to a PDF, that's a whole lot of numbers to enter.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
KeithLoveday

Post by KeithLoveday »

If somebody has a nice smart phone or camera they can take a picture of each page and post it. I'll have to improve my chicken scratch! :lol:
Jeffrey "Keith" Loveday
Tim Gillespie

Post by Tim Gillespie »

MikeKelly wrote:Dishonorable mention (over 90): CAMC99, STM30, STS55, CAMS22
Doggone right it's dishonorable. A Cobra at less than 100dB 50 feet from the side is a crying shame. Carroll must be rolling over in his grave... :D

Anyway, it's good to know that my 3rd set of pipes finally gave me some breathing room on sound. Short of going undercar, I honestly don't know what else I could do.

Tim
My Factory Five Cobra build site: http://www.timsroadster.com
joker717

Post by joker717 »

MikeKelly wrote:
joker717 wrote:Mike my car has that resonance sound you were talking about. If you want to test different sound testing procedures I would be willing to stay late or come early to an event so you could test it in my car.
I was thinking about it (again) on the way home - here is exactly what I need:

If I could catch one of "those cars" on a chassis dyno and get a "fair" 50' reading out the back at 5000 to 6000rpm full throttle loaded.

I'd compare that to Pelli readings and I'd "know" more than I "know" now - I could at least say "this" out the side equals about "that" out the back...

We're catching the Cobras "letting it eat" - if they pass at Pelli, they can pass a 360 degree sound [w/quote]

Unfortunately I don't have access to a dyno sorry :cry:
J.R. Newman
2007 Maximus Prime
1989 Civic SI hatch #98