What now?

Discussions related to Solo
sentrase

Re: What now?

Post by sentrase »

thrdeye wrote:
sentrase wrote: Also, with the TRD springs and sways coming to FR-S in CS, proably not the best time to enter the class.
I hate the way fastrack works. Where's the info on this?
It's not in the fastrack, check the ft-86 thread on rrax
Kristo K.
'13 Scion FR-S
STX 53
steverife

Post by steverife »

Basically, the 2015 Scion offers TRD suspension goodies as "accessories", kinda like the Subie stuff that is apparently now legal in Street.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
sentrase

Post by sentrase »

They have offered them since 2013, so it also applies to 2013 and 2014 models
Kristo K.
'13 Scion FR-S
STX 53
sentrase

Post by sentrase »

So are he buyers knocking on that RX-8 sellers door or is he just lazy? I don't get the compression check holdup.
Kristo K.
'13 Scion FR-S
STX 53
steverife

Post by steverife »

I didn't specifically ask. We spoke around 20 minutes yesterday. He is pretty firm on price and said, "I'm in no hurry to sell" at least half a dozen times. He told me about gutting the midpipe because of the cat failure and how that wasn't STX legal (which of course ads to my budget, maybe a lot if I have to buy a new midpipe) and I expressed my concerns about the engine. He made no offers.

It just seems like it'll be more expensive to be up and running than I first thought, which of course makes it less attractive. I also wish I was buying from someone with more of a "national" mentality.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

sentrase wrote:
thrdeye wrote:
sentrase wrote: Also, with the TRD springs and sways coming to FR-S in CS, proably not the best time to enter the class.
I hate the way fastrack works. Where's the info on this?
It's not in the fastrack, check the ft-86 thread on rrax
Barf. Guess I'll write a letter. My problem has always been that no one (even dealers) ever really seems to know what is port installed vs. dealer installed. And if they do, why should it really work that way? It can just totally upset the balance of a class.

In this particular case, I'm not sure that I am concerned about the springs and sways themselves, but the problem is that it will definitely kill the BRZ since these options are Scion only.

There should be some process to look at options that are allowed and specifically exclude those which have the possibility of upsetting things drastically.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

LOL

Tom Reynolds
Dear autocrossers, we already got a ton of letters about the TRD springs and sway bars on the FRS. Please don't send any new ones.
H&Ks,
SAC
Chris Harp
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

thrdeye wrote:LOL

Tom Reynolds
Dear autocrossers, we already got a ton of letters about the TRD springs and sway bars on the FRS. Please don't send any new ones.
H&Ks,
SAC
Really?! I would think more opinions coming in on what possible solutions might be is better than less.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Yeah I don't know. Sounds like floodgates opened. But I would have never posted that on FB.
steverife

Post by steverife »

Seller doesn't seem especially motivated to alleviate my concerns or work with me on price.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Scoob

Post by Scoob »

So he has a high opinion of his car and thinks that you should too, regardless of any possible (real or perceived) shortcomings. He sounds like a national competitor...

Maybe time to move on if you're not willing to accept the risks from those shortcomings.
Scott Boito
#68 CAM-S C5 Z06
SEDIV SSS

BetterOffRacing
steverife

Post by steverife »

Don't disagree. :)
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
sentrase

Post by sentrase »

In the original for sale ad by Ruggles, he said that the engine is still under warranty by Mazda and if the compression test would come back low, they would replace it. Is that warranty expired? Maybe PM Ruggles directly if the current owner is too proud to answer questions.
Kristo K.
'13 Scion FR-S
STX 53
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Rife, I hate to say it, but you do this everytime. You overthink your decision and end up with nothing.

By all accounts, the car seems solid.

I didn't realize the car came from Ruggles. The price is good, it's been treated correctly. It's in good shape, and has a lot of parts you need.
Chris Harp
steverife

Post by steverife »

It is supposed to be 8 years, 100k miles, but I've got the VIN, so I guess it is worth checking.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97