Event 12 information

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Yes I am very local to these parts. I've lived in the southeast for most of my life. I've learned my Dutch from my friend Mattijs. By the way, my mom thought that it was very funny that you share the same name as my brother. Don't know why I needed to share that.

I'm sure someone had to have run into this problem before. You might try getting on a Euro Lotus or Ferrari forum or something and ask if anyone else has run into this problem. Or you could just say that it's a Miata with some body work... :lol:
Stephen Wilson

jared

Post by jared »

Ian Wilson wrote:
Sunrise Group for e.g. provide a USA tourist insurance program for people like me. Guess which bit of the following proved to be a problem :cry:
You are eligible for this insurance program if:

* You are not a U.S. or Canadian citizen
* You are not a permanent resident of the U.S. or Canada
* The vehicle to be insured is not a sports car or high performance vehicle
* You are not under 25 years of age or over 75 years of age
* The vehicle to be used is not a rental
I'm open to any suggestions...

So I take it that you are under 25!!! :lol:
Jared Suter
HS #54
89 Civic Si
Ian Wilson

Post by Ian Wilson »

Had a look at Lloyds earlier if only it was a supertanker :lol:

But seriously if everything else fails I'll try a few of the underwriters, Lloyds is not really for individuals. They have a list of underwriters listed under Motor-UK which I presume it auto insurance.

Working on a lead at the moment with a company in Jacksonville who think they *may* be able to help. Fingers crossed
Ian Wilson

Post by Ian Wilson »

jared wrote:So I take it that you are under 25!!! :lol:
*Ding*, no flies on you :lol:
Ian Wilson

Post by Ian Wilson »

Two companies have said they could insure me if I was shipping it to Baghdad instead of the US - go figure :shock:
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Yeah, you'd think it'd be the other way around there. I mean, I know these are the mean streets of East Tennessee but I've never seen a car bomb send a chassis 40 yards...
Stephen Wilson

dfoulk

Post by dfoulk »

Steve-o wrote:Kankerlijer
Aidslijer
Tyfuslijer
Klerelijer
Teringlijer

Yeah... those are pretty harsh...
Even though I don't know Dutch, the first three were easy to figure out because the spelling is like English. What diseases are the last two?

Dewey
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

de kanker - Cancer
de aids - Aids
de tyfus - Typhoid
de klere - Cholera (Folk version of 'de cholera')
de tering - Tuberculosis
het lazerus - leprosy (standard: lepra)
de pest - the plague
de pleuris - pleurisy (standard: pleuritis)
de pokken - smallpox
de schurft - scabies
de takke - stroke

lijer - someone who has the disease (Literally: "sufferer")

They have a variety of ways of using them.
Most common is simply telling someone krijg de __! "go catch __ !"

krijg de klere! - 'go catch cholera!'
krijg de tyfus! - 'why don't you just go get typhiod?!'
krijg het apelazerus! - 'just go catch a case of monkey leprosy!'
(This is one of the many names for diseases that don't really exist. Apelazerus usually means 'stewed to the gills'. Another common one is krijg het rambam!, which as a disease name doesn't exist outside this expression.)

An expression currently popular is "Krijg de kanker achter je hart zodat de dokter er niet bij kan!" - 'Go get cancer behind your heart so that the doctor can't reach it!'

More often than not, there are two or three diseases before that 'sufferer', like kankertyfuslijer!, pestpokkenteringlijer!

Then they tend to put the diseases in front of just about anything that they dislike.
pokkenweer - 'lousy weather' (a fairly mild expression; also klereweer, tyfusweer)
pestpokkenweer - 'really lousy weather'
pestpokkenkankertyfusweer - (You get the idea)

Also, nothing bonds two Dutch strangers together more than bitching about the weather together. A very common phrase is "Wat een klotweer, eh?" (Basically 'F***ed up weather, huh?"

Although this was far more information than you asked for, you can now swear in basic Dutch.

This has been Swearing in Dutch 101 with Stephen Wilson. Thank you. :lol:
Stephen Wilson

tscott

Post by tscott »

I don't speak freaky deaky dutch. [\austinpowers]
Tyler Scott
Ian Wilson

Post by Ian Wilson »

scottgib wrote:Ian, sorry about the confusion on the date. It did not register with me that this was the Nov 13 event.

Actually we are working on an alternate site in Morristown, TN for Event 12 to be held Nov. 13. I had already worked out an arrangement at Rockwood, but we will likely have it at Walters State Community College, public safety training lot, in Morristown. That is about 45 min. north of Knoxville. It is not a huge lot, but bigger than any others we use. We will post directions as soon as the schedule is firm. Don't worry, we'll get you there. We want to see a "LoHon" run.

:D
I've found Walters State Community College but it's in Greeneville, or is the training lot in Morristown?
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

They have multiple campuses. The site for our autocross is the Public Safety Center in Morristown which is on the east side of hwy 25E.

http://www.wscc.cc.tn.us/maps/default.asp
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
Ian Wilson

Post by Ian Wilson »

Quick update - I'm still coming! Car insurance is sorted out. I finish work this Friday and head straight to France for a track day at a little circuit called Folembray on Saturday and another at my favourite circuit Spa Francorchamps in Belgium on Monday. The car will then get a new battery, new tires and a microscopic inspection since I won't be able to get parts for it in the States. I drop it off in Amsterdam on the 17th of October. I've decided to handle the customs clearance myself in Jacksonville, I'm told it will be quicker and cheaper if I do myself.

Will also be doing an AutoX at the California Speedway on the 27th of Nov. and a track day at Laguna Seca on the 1st of Dec. if the car is still running!
TedV

Post by TedV »

Steve-o wrote: This has been Swearing in Dutch 101 with Stephen Wilson. Thank you. :lol:
Aah dutch 101… brings back confusing memories of high school. Taking German as foreign language while living with my Dutch grandmother… screwed me up for both languages.. :roll: But she didn’t tell me much to swear with. :lol:
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Ted: I'd be happy to teach you more Dutch swearing anytime!

Ian: Great to hear that you're still coming. I'm super stoked to see that thing! And I hate you for getting to drive Laguna Seca AND Spa. Give Eau Rouge hell for me!! And don't shunt on the left hander at Raidillion! I wanna see the S1 and not S1 chunks.
Stephen Wilson

dfsmith

Post by dfsmith »

Ian Wilson wrote:... head straight to France for a track day at a little circuit called Folembray on Saturday and another at my favourite circuit Spa Francorchamps in Belgium on Monday....
Track day at Spa? :!: :?: I can't even begin to describe the jealousy I'm feeling! :lol:

Have fun, keep the shiny side up, and be sure it stays in one piece so we can drool over it when you get here.
Dave Smith

'09 Honda Accord LX-P (daily beater/greyhound bus)
'08 Ford Ranger XL (parts & manure hauler)
'74 Porsche 914 (perpetual project car)