So I finally bought a car...

Discussions related to Solo
steverife

Re: So I finally bought a car...

Post by steverife »

The lumbar support was too high up my back, so hopefully raising the seat will help. I haven't tried it yet. It didn't really hurt my back, my leg just started to throb after about 30 minutes.

No leaks so far. *knocks on wood* I didn't really notice anything with the cowl, but I might just have low standards. The one issue I did have is that the clutch engagement was kind of funny and then after the rain, the clutch started to sqeak really bad. Clutch squeak seems to be common with these, but it was gone the next day, so I think moisture might be getting somewhere that I'd rather it not be....
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Kinetic

Post by Kinetic »

Now that you mention it, my left leg has a tendency to go a little numb after a while. Sounds like I need to take a closer look at my top.

The clutch felt a little weird to me at first as well; it is a lot different than the feel in my e90 BMW. After the first day at Bristol, it felt slightly "softer" with a hair less feel perhaps? I also cannot coax any wheelspin on the start even with a smooth drop clutch start at ~4500 rpm; all I get is clutch slip until the car picks up some speed. It was that way with all season tires too. Not sure if that is typical for a mid-engined, low torque vehicle or just a well used clutch.

My clutch hasn't squeaked yet, though it does have more lateral play than I would like. My gas pedal spring creaks some on occasion.
Kevin Lindley
'03 MR2 Spyder (blue) - ES 37
steverife

Post by steverife »

From what I've been told, launching options are to either...

a) bog
2) have clutch slip
iii) dump the clutch at 6k or higher
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Kinetic

Post by Kinetic »

Ah, that is good to know!
Kevin Lindley
TedV

Post by TedV »

Kevin, welcome to the ETR forum. We have a long, proud tradition of running a thread off topic. I say run E Street. We all can help you learn how to read and remember the course at your next event during morning course walks.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

What Ted said... welcome!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Kevin,

Run ES. You're obviously competitive. Too bad you missed the EVO school, or you might have skipped directly to Pro.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
Kinetic

Post by Kinetic »

Thanks for the welcome and the advice Ted, Mark and DeWitt; I'll register for E Street during the next event and will appreciate navigation help during the course walks at Chilhowee (this course is trickier to navigate than Bristol?). Jim's novice walks at Bristol were excellent and very helpful to me.

Looking at the schedule, I will only be able to make 5 of the remaining events this year (will be out of town for both the Oct. 3rd Novice school and the Oct. 4th autocross at the Smokies' stadium). Looks like I will not be eligible to compete for the season championships this year for E street as I was registered in novice at Bristol, and I must enter at least 6 events to qualify and the best 7 count toward the year end championship? I am assuming the Bristol event will not qualify as one of the 6 required since I was in novice class from the way I read the rules.

-Kevin
Kevin Lindley
integra55

Post by integra55 »

na … it should actually be easier to navigate … it pretty much makes itself apparent … as in "no other way to go" … glad to have you aboard
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
steverife

Post by steverife »

Alright...

I picked up some struts with Koni inserts already shoved in, got a set of SSR's and a pair of RPF1's and a set of RE71R's and just ordered crash bolts. Just need to find a front bar and figure out this end link thing. edit: ...and get the car aligned and get the sway bar mounts reinforced.

Probably not going to fool with exhaust or brake pads or anything like that this year.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

Nice, what kind of tires are you going to be on?
Check out some of the build.
https://www.youtube.com/user/90civichb
Cody Yankey
steverife

Post by steverife »

RE71R's. The SSR's don't clear the brakes and I don't think I'm willing to dremel the spokes like others have... :(

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

can you dremel the caliper down a bit?
Check out some of the build.
https://www.youtube.com/user/90civichb
Cody Yankey
MARKP

Post by MARKP »