So I finally bought a car...

Discussions related to Solo
John Brown

Re: So I finally bought a car...

Post by John Brown »

Like I said at the event Rife.. don't judge nor adjust your car for that lot.. It will only be better at Pilli. or anywhere else for that matter.. lol
those cars are finicky about the front grip.. but once you learn throttle steer/mid engine therapy... youll be much faster I think..
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
steverife

Post by steverife »

With nationals coming up, I took on a few projects with mixed success this weekend....

- Battery mount. Battery had worked itself loose at each of the last few events. Stock sized replacement battery has a lip at the top and apparently the OEM battery was flush, so the brackets don't fit right. Ghetto fix involving homemade j-hook and eleventy spacers, but it is secured.

- Hood release. My ziptie chain extending to the exterior of the car didn't work.

- Cigarette Lighter. Discovered that it isn't hooked up. The plug doesn't match the back of the lighter. Solution is to conserve my phone on travel days and find an air pump that doesn't require that.

- Front sway bar. At some point, I lost the nut that attaches endlink to swaybar. Couldn't get that endlink off to check for bind. I think I can get that done next Saturday before I leave.

Overall, I like the car on the street a lot, though convertible life isn't for me. For autocross, I haven't figured out the weight transfer thing at all. It is so easy to make the car push. As much as I'd like to trophy at nats, I really need to figure something out at practice to have a chance. As it is, I'd be thrilled to finish in the top half of the field.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Seems like the Cig lighter would be an easy fix.....
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

steverife wrote:With nationals coming up, I took on a few projects with mixed success this weekend....

- Battery mount. Battery had worked itself loose at each of the last few events. Stock sized replacement battery has a lip at the top and apparently the OEM battery was flush, so the brackets don't fit right. Ghetto fix involving homemade j-hook and eleventy spacers, but it is secured.

- Hood release. My ziptie chain extending to the exterior of the car didn't work.

- Cigarette Lighter. Discovered that it isn't hooked up. The plug doesn't match the back of the lighter. Solution is to conserve my phone on travel days and find an air pump that doesn't require that.

- Front sway bar. At some point, I lost the nut that attaches endlink to swaybar. Couldn't get that endlink off to check for bind. I think I can get that done next Saturday before I leave.

Overall, I like the car on the street a lot, though convertible life isn't for me. For autocross, I haven't figured out the weight transfer thing at all. It is so easy to make the car push. As much as I'd like to trophy at nats, I really need to figure something out at practice to have a chance. As it is, I'd be thrilled to finish in the top half of the field.
Now, Iv not seen it.. but if you were on relatively flat ground.. and the bolt/nut was missing....and you cant get it off Im thinking you got some bind up.....
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Also, some endlinks will only come out easily if the bar is loaded (wheels on the ground), and also vice versa.

Sometimes, I've also had to disconnect the endlink from it's mounting point (control arm, shock, wherever it is on your car), then take it out of the swaybar. BUT, this was mostly a precaution to keep from mucking up the threads
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

I'm not sure if I can get to it with the wheel on the car. I had to pull my wheel to recover my wrench that I had left on the end link.

I guess I could unbolt it at the control arm and see if I can move the bar that way, though I imagine the rod end will contact the control arm pretty immediately. I removed/installed this stuff with the strut off.

edit: I guess if it came down to it, I could remove the swaybar, then remove the endlinks, then reinstall the swaybar.
Last edited by steverife on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
steverife

Post by steverife »

thrdeye wrote:Seems like the Cig lighter would be an easy fix.....
Something is missing, but I'm not sure what. I'll look at a parts diagram at some point.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

steverife wrote:
thrdeye wrote:Seems like the Cig lighter would be an easy fix.....
Something is missing, but I'm not sure what. I'll look at a parts diagram at some point.
Fuse or fusible link?
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner