Smokies Oct 4

Discussions related to Solo
dewittpayne

Re: Smokies Oct 4

Post by dewittpayne »

onebadbugeye wrote:My question is who walked around and changed the course? Because when jy and i laid out the course that morning both the straight down the hill and up the hill had cones about in the middle of them, which in theroy would have slowed down the high HP heavy cars.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
The three contenders for the Pro championship, JB, Mark and Kristo.

I completely agree with JB above. Those cones just made the course more painful to drive. As originally laid out, the course was, if anything, even more favorable to powerful cars. It was pure point and squirt. The wall extension on the downhill run wasn't going to hurt my car. It was probably going to slow down a less powerful car that needed to carry speed through the corner for the uphill run.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

simple........ very simple.you put SOME kind of element in the course! Something besides a 180 turn with power out diggs.
Saloms,, multiple transitions... anything but drag strips from turn to turn.
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

At least the course had more than 3 runs. :shock:

:pirate: :eating:
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
onebadbugeye

Post by onebadbugeye »

JB are you designing a course for either of the 2 remaining events?

Chris "Scooter" Anderson
03 stock and slo WRX
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

here is the run of a complete hack.. and someone that pretty much cant drive his ass out of a paper sack... so,any pointers from you fastest raw time guys would sure be appreciated..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twt9bmHFnx0

***notice the out of place cone at the top of the hill..but still in a box. lol
Last edited by John Brown on Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steverife

Post by steverife »

:lol:
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

onebadbugeye wrote:JB are you designing a course for either of the 2 remaining events?

Absolutely NOT! I refused to design any more courses after Pilli's last event.
steverife

Post by steverife »

Watching the videos, I think I could have found some time.

I don't think I could have gotten my turd in the 40's though.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

dewittpayne wrote:
onebadbugeye wrote:My question is who walked around and changed the course? Because when jy and i laid out the course that morning both the straight down the hill and up the hill had cones about in the middle of them, which in theroy would have slowed down the high HP heavy cars.

The three contenders for the Pro championship, JB, Mark and Kristo.

I completely agree with JB above. Those cones just made the course more painful to drive. As originally laid out, the course was, if anything, even more favorable to powerful cars. It was pure point and squirt. The wall extension on the downhill run wasn't going to hurt my car. It was probably going to slow down a less powerful car that needed to carry speed through the corner for the uphill run.

... its not just small bore Pro contenders.. this driver is in a GT Mustang..
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

John Brown wrote: so,any pointers...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twt9bmHFnx0
The only thing I really saw on the run was you were a good bit off the inside cones on the turn-in for the chute at the top. I couldn't tell how close you were to the other cones but it looked pretty clean to me.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

I wish Id trusted my instinct on that out of place cone... It threw me way outside for the next cone. I had to adjust my approach to the apex quiet a bit
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

dewittpayne wrote: As originally laid out, the course was, if anything, even more favorable to powerful cars. It was pure point and squirt. The wall extension on the downhill run wasn't going to hurt my car. It was probably going to slow down a less powerful car that needed to carry speed through the corner for the uphill run.
John Brown wrote:simple........ very simple.you put SOME kind of element in the course! Something besides a 180 turn with power out diggs.
Saloms,, multiple transitions... anything but drag strips from turn to turn.
Not trying to beat up on anyone here with these comments but I wanted to add my honest thoughts.

The two comments above, on the surface, probably appear to be contradictory to most people. Yes, the changes that JB, Kristo, and I agreed on opened up the course and made it less painful. This took away elements instead of adding them. However, what it did was allowed cars to maintain some momentum. I think what JB was getting at was adding elements in the right places. In other words, if you have two turns with a long run between them, add a slalom. Pinching the entry of the second turn won't help and pinching the exit of the first turn won't help. I think the changes that were made to the course made it more fair for the smaller cars.

If nobody cares, and Pro is completely locked for all trophy positions at the last event of the year, I would like to be the one in charge of course design at the last event. If anyone has an issue with that, you won't hurt my feelings. You can post up here or send a PM and I will let someone else that is more of a "regular" as of the past couple of seasons handle it.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
steverife

Post by steverife »

I'm cool with whoever doing a course. Just please no uphill launches...
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

Well,I guess I know what a car will do. Even though I chucked a cone on my last run ( kicked and it flew) A 42.308 vs a 42.309. yeah I lost but the times are what they are,by the edge of a fender.My car is more stock than the rest of the STS cars..
Bob Colbert
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

I am not running pro this year or in the future as my car is the only big heavy car in pro and if you have never driven a big heavy car then no one in pro understands how bad the pinchy tight courses are in it and there is no way a fully prepped esp car finishes as bad as we have at several events and it not be tied to the course. I love this sport more than any thing but will not be apart of any more setups cause when I or my car wins it was a horsepower course and when we don't have a chance and finish 5 or worse it was we just drove bad according to some pro drivers. My second run sunday was probably the best and cleanest run I have ever had, but it was due to horsepower and not me hitting my marks and driving good, so some one will have to step up and do course and this my very well cause me to step away from any locals as this year has been very painful in trying to make fair and equal courses as it has gone both ways on courses that are so tight and pinchy that I know if I have a fair chance to win or not. I am not the best driver by far but I do have my moments when I hit my marks and make a good lap. If the courses are going to be deemed fair, then before a event is run it needs to be driven in a big car and a small car to see if the two can come together and say yep that will be a fair course, cause I am here to tell we have had more tight pinchy courses than the so called HP courses.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500