Knoxville Dragstrip Friday the 17th.

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
90civichb

Knoxville Dragstrip Friday the 17th.

Post by 90civichb »

A few of us are planning to get a bit of drag racing in this week, weather permitting. We are planning to be out there around 7 or 8pm (Gates open at 6PM). This is an invitation for anyone looking to race or just hang out. I haven't been in probably 10 years but I believe they don't prep the track for Test and Tune. I feel like my Miata could probably beat anything you all bring out! :fight:

http://www.knoxvilledragstrip.com/
Check out some of the build.
https://www.youtube.com/user/90civichb
Cody Yankey
Challenger

Re: Knoxville Dragstrip Friday the 17th.

Post by Challenger »

Hmmm....I've wondered how the Challenger would do in a straight line. I've never drag raced before though. What kind of safety equipment do they require for driver/car? I didn't see anything on the website.

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk
Steve Vrooman
2016 Dodge Challenger CAM C
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

You know, that's a good question. I honestly think for TnT you may need a helmet at most. I think there is a point at which you will need a cage to run the car, but I think that is somewhere in the 6's. I don't think any cars here would be in the 6's...
Cody Yankey
jcoatney

Post by jcoatney »

I would love to go but I gots no tars. It used to be under 9 seconds required a helmet. I could run 8.90's in the Miata without a helmet and when they would tell me to put it on I could never get under 9. I guess I had a heavy helmet.
Jon Coatney
03 Mach 1-CAMC 99
http://www.tennfab.com/
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

Man, you pulled 8.90s in your old MSM? What kind of 60 foots were you getting? I would love to be in the 8's with my car but I really want to cut at or below a 2.0 60'. I just setup launch control and flat-shift on my car but, I fear the lack mechanical empathy my transmission will endure in pursuit of a 1.9x 60'.

I can see where your car would be really hard to get down the track on some street tires. Anyway you can borrow a set of slicks from someone? You could always go and cut some 9.5s at 90mph :rockon:
Cody Yankey
steverife

Post by steverife »

Nothing to run, but I'll go hang out.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
danegrey

Post by danegrey »

Not sure, if I can make it, but sounds like it would be fun....
David A Negrey
2012 370Z Sports Package
nismo like spoiler
Michelin Super Sport 4s
and many more things
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

steverife wrote:Nothing to run, but I'll go hang out.
Sweet. Maybe grab a tow strap to help pull me back home when I grenade 250k mile transmission.
danegrey wrote:Not sure, if I can make it, but sounds like it would be fun....
I get it, a bit frightened by the Miata. :lol:
Cody Yankey
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

90civichb wrote:Man, you pulled 8.90s in your old MSM?
Heh, did you ever see that car autocross? lol...

90civichb wrote:You know, that's a good question. I honestly think for TnT you may need a helmet at most. I think there is a point at which you will need a cage to run the car, but I think that is somewhere in the 6's. I don't think any cars here would be in the 6's...
From a quick scan of the IHRA rulebook (Knox follows the IHRA rulebook - how religiously for TnT I don't know):

http://www.mydigitalpublication.com/pub ... =1203&l=1#

1/8th mile times:

You can have a passenger to 8.75

Convertibles require a "6 point bar" at 8.25 (I suspect a NHRA 4 point bar with driver's doorbar would pass - that's actually what is illustrated in the rulebook pg 85)

Helmets required (all) at 8.59

Jim and I ran 8.5s @ 85-90 at 411 (unprepped track) in his cobra years ago / 300+ treadwear / traction limited through 2nd gear (and soft pedal the shift to 3rd).

With the current engine and A7s, I would expect that car to pull mid to high 7's @ ~ 100 (unprepped track).

Maybe low 7s depending on how traction limited it turned out to be in 2nd.
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

On A-7's I doubt he would get close to being under 8 seconds unless you run them about 12 psi as the sidewalls are very stiff on the A-7's.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

Having driven the car on the dragstrip - 8.5 @ 90 - to me it's a question of being able to get past 1/2 throttle in 2nd, and not having to soft pedal into 3rd.

I've got to think the A7s would work a lot better than the bricks that were on it at the time (8000 mile Goodrich KD).

His C.I. + HP are "up" too, and weight "down"...

It would be interesting to see, even if I'm wrong.
Mike Kelly
--Mr. Rate
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

Go easy on your first run. Jim and Ariel ran the Cobra a couple months back and it was super squirrely. To the point where Ariel beat the Cobra's best time in the GTI. Alignment was probably the issue
Brian Robbins
XP 45
steverife

Post by steverife »

Hoosiers A's/R's are notoriously bad at drag racing. I've also had people tell me that running them at the strip is pretty detrimental to their autocross performance going forward. YMMV.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

Teufelshund wrote:Jim and Ariel ran the Cobra a couple months back and it was super squirrely. To the point where Ariel beat the Cobra's best time in the GTI. Alignment was probably the issue

Ouch.

Notice, I didn't say it wouldn't be scary on the way - lol...
Mike Kelly
--Mr. Rate
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Once upon a time I ran V710s at 411 in the Camaro, and actually dropped time when I swapped back to my POS 300tw street tires (un-prepped track). Both tires were pretty much painful and I spun up through second. The bigger problem was my autocross alignment - it kept grabbing every damn rut it could find.

I'd have to drag my slips out, but the fastest I ever went at 411 was like a 8.9 at 88-90 (stock LS1). Next time I went out was after I put the circle track cam in the LS1 and ran Supra times (9.0 at 96-99). Never had the 6.2 out, but I suspect it would be more frustrating than fun - and I don't want to sacrifice my stock 10 bolt to the drag radial gods.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3