Comcast Event

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
scottgib

Comcast Event

Post by scottgib »

A special thanks to those who worked the third run. That had to be miserable.

(Until the rain) this was a great event. Thanks Ron -- oh I forgot....Ron may never read this.

There were a number of new converts to our sport today.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
tscott

Post by tscott »

Yeah good event overall. From now on I think we need to make the novices work FIRST. I am sure Mark M. will agree with me on that. He said 98% of the people that did not work were novices. Having them work first lets them see the vets (not vettes) run first and get a good idea on how things are ran. It also keeps them from skipping out on thier work assignments. It is a win-win situation.
Tyler Scott
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

Yea, I liked the course layout, especially the high speed right-er coming from the long straight. Doing turns at 10-20mph is fun, but i really like testing threshold breaking zones at higher speed(60-ish). Also, sweeping turns are a favorite of mine, however, usually ones that are a little faster, but hey, it worked.

All in all, I feel what ive done over our off time has paid off. I look forward to warmer weather for better traction.

I liked the site.......i tried to pick up as much trash as i could as i was packing up. Didnt mean to overload their garbage cans, but better their than strung through the edges of the parking lot. Id like to keep that site as future place to run.

Thanks,
Tony
Mark McCrary

Post by Mark McCrary »

I agree with you Tyler,
Some of the Novices I do not believe did work. Some did and I thought they didn't. We did not make it clear that the Novices should have all ran at one time. Most of them thought that they were susposed to run with there class of car. I think this is why we had so many workers in the first run group.
My apologies to everyone. This was my first time being the worker jerk so I will do much better in the future. I am going to have a new way of signing in next time. I will know for sure which class that are registed this way.
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
whenry

Post by whenry »

Today was learning experience for all of us. New sites will do that to ya. While I understand Ron's logic in having the trailer somewhat removed from the paddock/grid area, it made things somewhat disjointed and communications difficult. Dont be too hard on yourself, Mark.
Most participants left with a smile on their face and most folk dont know the various glitches like the vets do. And if we dont tell them about it, they'll never know.
It was a fun course even in a SpecMiata.
Wayne Henry
East Tenn Region, SCCA
2006 MX-5 Limited
the rest of the garage:
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1996 Toyota 4runner
Mark McCrary

Post by Mark McCrary »

I agree with you Wayne. We do need to make it real clear on when the novices work and drive. It was indeed a learning experience. It was a lot of fun. When are we going to have a drifting event. I was not for drifting until I bought my new car. It drifts really well. Go Cooper Tires. They make great drifting tires for low horsepower cars. :lol:
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
dfsmith

Post by dfsmith »

I will also have to say thanks to all who stuck around to work the course for those of us on the last run. I've been out there in the cold and the rain before and I know how miserable that had to be.

Great course. I had a blast until my car decided to eat a cone in the rain and not let it go ... had to manhandle the sucker to get it out.
Dave Smith

'09 Honda Accord LX-P (daily beater/greyhound bus)
'08 Ford Ranger XL (parts & manure hauler)
'74 Porsche 914 (perpetual project car)
DavidZC

Post by DavidZC »

Great start to a hopefully very good season. I forgot how much I enjoyed carving around the cones since I haven't been able to auto-x for over a year. Now that my car is finally finished I'm really enjoying the seat time. Thanks to all that organized and participated. It was good to see some familiar faces as well as lots of new ones.

Working in that third shift really did suck, but i'm sure others will get their turn. Going be kind of hard to explain having a sun burn and getting soaked to the bone in the same day! :wink:
OneFastZx2

Post by OneFastZx2 »

Excellent time ya'll. As always i didnt do as well as i'd like too but its still fun. Since hart didnt show i got in the top 5 i think :lol: maybe when my turbo is done and i get my kumhos mounted ill do a lil better! By the way i want to do that school! wish it was at oak ridge but its a school no matter where it is i guess.
98 Ford Excort Zx2
STS Auto-X leader........ hahahaha, maybe one day i'll be good enough to beat someone.... anyone!?!?!
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

The novice thing was really my fault... I wasn't thinking things through and told a couple of novices to run with their regular class. We'll have them all run together next time and have them work first.
- Dave Disney
LeadSSled

Post by LeadSSled »

I can't speak for the other novices, but I worked the first group. The work detail person said that I would work first and run 3rd. However, after working, I saw my name on the group 2 white board, so I ran with that group. During group 3, I saw that there was very little help, so I helped they guy in turn 1 for the rest of the race, and I stayed to help clean up in the rain.

But you are right. I don't think most novices stayed to work. And, I received great benefit from working the first group. I think it's a good idea for novices to work the 1st group.

I had a great time. I'll be there for the Solo 2 school in April.
Terry Kehne
SCCA #337340
1996 Impala SS - not stock SM96
2005 Dodge Magnum RT - bone stock
1997 VW Passat TDI - Sprint 520 nozzles, Stage 2 RocketChip tune
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins

I drive a hybrid - it burns both gas and rubber.
2K1`ACR

Comcast event

Post by 2K1`ACR »

Good Morning all, lurking newbie here. I was at the event yesterday as a spectator (but plan to take part in the school next month). I would have to say it definiately was a blast to watch and i'm sure it will be even more fun to run next time...and yes...this newbie will get his work assignment ans stay to work.

I have a gazillion (yes...thats a real number) questions but I wont hijack a thread to post them just be on the look out for a string of yet another newbie question post.

Looking forward to the next event.

Don
Why racing? Because football, baseball, basketball and soccer only require 1 ball to play.
Williampreza

Post by Williampreza »

No complaints here. I just wanted to thank everyone, newbies and oldbies alike, for a great time. I thought it went suprisingly hitchless considering the volume of "participants", the fact that it was the first race of the season, a new lot, and the weather. Thanks! :D
Will Lavender
#44 HS Nissan Frontier?
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Lurking Newb. here myself. I went out and watched yesterday, and it seemed to be a great event (from a spectators standpoint). The vantage point from the hill was great, as I could see the entire course. I am looking forward to running myself! Thanks for a great spectacle!
gbwrx

Post by gbwrx »

Yeah I thought that the hill was a great place to watch.. It also helped to keep all the spectators away from danger :D and out of the way of the course (like they can get at Oak Ridge).

Nice new lot hope that we can use it again.

I kind of wish that I ran in the rain. Maybe then I could beat Cliff 8)