New Spec Coupe Class Unveiled For Twins

Discussions related to Solo
John Brown

Re: New Spec Coupe Class Unveiled For Twins

Post by John Brown »

“These cars offer aftermarket modifications embraced by enthusiasts who enjoy the driving experience,” Duncan said. “The vehicles are readily available and modifications fairly simple. The cars have shown reliability, which should help with cost containment. And a street ride can be maintained for daily use while also allowing for fun autocross performance.

well... duH. what class cant? (street classes) You aint gonna be competitive... but fun will most likely be had! :roll:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Well, I think the car lends itself to a good fun daily for most people and they are cheap and reliable. It has a somewhat useable backseat for normal car stuff, and if you don't need that for the dog or whatever when traveling, you can get 4 wheels and tires, luggage, and tools back there and still have room for a passenger. I think the class really makes sense. They car will perform better than the street category variant, wear the tires more evenly, be more fun to drive, look a little better (lowered, with wider wheel), and so on.

It will also put the BRZ and FRS in a situation where they can play together again since the BRZ did not get the factory suspension kit like the FRS does. Right now, the BRZ is a dead car in street category since most people had the FRS in CS. Now that they are in DS you might see a couple more BRZ's around this year, but nothing dramatic.

If this becomes a manufacturer backed contingency thing, watch out....it will be popular regardless, but a solid contingency program will make it big. If this had come about a year earlier, I might be in my 5th Subaru instead of my 5th Mazda.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

That shit just blew the freak up.
Bob Colbert
steverife

Post by steverife »

I get the "too many" class argument and the higher prep categories need a reworking, but I'm not totally sure if adding a popular class hurts anyone.

Lets say that SSC pulls 10 people apiece from CS/DS/STS/STX/ES. All those classes are strong. Why does it matter? Now the membership has 6 relatively accessible "speed maintenance" classes to chose from instead of 5. Does that really hurt anyone?

If SSC pulls from higher prep classes, those people were on the verge of backing off their commitment anyway.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
rocket71

Post by rocket71 »

Sounds boring.

I don't think these cars are "wildly popular" either. They are "the car" to have a couple of classes and that is what is driving that. Now they are the "only" car to have in SSC. Oh well, I will just keep on keepin' on with my "quotes".
GT350
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

rocket71 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:26 pm Sounds boring.

I don't think these cars are "wildly popular" either. They are "the car" to have a couple of classes and that is what is driving that. Now they are the "only" car to have in SSC. Oh well, I will just keep on keepin' on with my "quotes".
See CS entries in 2016 and then STX and DS entries in 2017. I'd even go so far as to think this particular car helped out in setting some of the recent nationals attendance records.

The twins needed a place to play together competitively, and I think it's good to see SCCA try something new to make that happen.
Chris Harp
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

I think it will be popular for a year or two then die out, kinda like the RTA class that lasted a year then disappeared. This may work but I don't think it will appeal to many after the new wears off.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

happens every time... OMG!! a new class... next year... meh.

is it gonna be a National Class right off the bat? or no?

I will add that I'm all in favor of new classes.... as long as we KILL off the less subscribed classes. :pirate:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

jcox07 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:58 am I think it will be popular for a year or two then die out, kinda like the RTA class that lasted a year then disappeared. This may work but I don't think it will appeal to many after the new wears off.
RT A/R/F were the supplemental classes that were used to experiment with the viability of switching from Hoosiers to Street tires in stock. They were never going to be around for a long time. Basically, if you supported street tires in stock, you came out and ran those classes.
Chris Harp
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Yes I agree Chris, but if they had been wildly popular they would have ben around longer than 1 year.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

John Brown wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:10 am happens every time... OMG!! a new class... next year... meh.

is it gonna be a National Class right off the bat? or no?

I will add that I'm all in favor of new classes.... as long as we KILL off the less subscribed classes. :pirate:
Not sure. If it draws mega numbers like STR did in its first year, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets immediate jacket status.

A lot of the less subscribed classes are in the higher prep levels, which makes logical sense. A lot of those folks have a significant amount of money invested in their SP/P/M cars so I think it's best to just let the small classes die a natural death. Telling someone that is sitting on a $40,000+ car that's only viable for autocross and can't easily convert to another class - "hey your class stops tomorrow" is not a great way to go about it IMO. But, I agree that once you get to the point that you can't get a 15 car field at nationals, you should recognize that your class is struggling.
Chris Harp
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

jcox07 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:35 am Yes I agree Chris, but if they had been wildly popular they would have ben around longer than 1 year.
I think you're misunderstanding. They started in 2011 and went until 2013 to test street tires in stock and they are now what you know as Street -category - SS, AS, BS, CS, etc.. So yeah, they have been around longer than one year.
Chris Harp
steverife

Post by steverife »

Like Chris said, if the RT classes had bombed, I don't think we have Street now.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Yea we would
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Seems like "ST lite" prep for the twins only. It is a supplimental class at this point. Seemed pretty well received at nationals. I don't expect it to move the overall meter much as I think most participants will come from other classes. We will just have to wait and see what happens. If it goes well, maybe national will add more "spec" classes. I will let others decide if that is a good or bad thing.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story