What are your best/most memorable autocross moments? Version II

Discussions related to Solo
steverife

What are your best/most memorable autocross moments? Version II

Post by steverife »

Not really sure how/why, but I stumbled across this thread....

http://etrscca.org/etrsccaforum/viewtop ... a&start=30

...and it was pretty fun to read and reminisce.

I thought it'd be fun to revisit 7 years later, include a lot of folks who weren't around, etc, etc, etc.

I've got a lot of them, so 'll share mine when I have a few more minutes.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Bob Ross

Re: What are your best/most memorable autocross moments? Version II

Post by Bob Ross »

After coming from a long history if straight line and left turn only, Autocross was a new animal, my car was plenty fast but wouldn't turn for nothing, after a couple weeks of struggling with same results a tall gray haired old goat named Walter walked up to me and ask what sway bar I had on the car so I told him, He said to just disconnect one end link and try it Wow what a difference we have been competitive every since.. Thanks Walter, a good friendship cut way to short. R.I.P Walter Jones Bob Ross XP 42
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Walter is forever missed.....My best moment was winning ESP at the Dixie event with a national champion in class and several heavy hitters as well. It rained out day 2 but with Mark and myself the only ones with new wets and Adam the only other one with wets but not close enough to catch Mark or myself. That was truly a awesome experience!
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Whew there's a lot.

But, as far as the driving goes, I have to say that this run is the best run I had ever made in any car. I'm not sure what it was that day, but it just clicked. Truly one of those zen like experiences where there was no thought, no preconceived notions, no expectation. Shortish course and not a great site, but I've never matched the feeling of that run.

https://youtu.be/DisrIgDrLZA
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

01badz28 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:11 pm 1. First time running at Comcast and realizing how over my head I was.

2. First time spinning the car (Rockwood PCA event).

3. Roaring down the straights at 411 at the top of third gear (including 360 degree spin in infield)

4. Breaking crap on course (blown P/S pump at Rockwood, blown motor at PSTCC).

5. First event with new motor, and coning every run.
6. Running Nashville Superspeedway, beating Tony Bolton.

7. Swapping cars with Walter and getting to compare our cars.

8. Finally getting to run a Corvette.

9. Lowering myself to driving a Mustang.

10. The brakes self bleeding going down the interstate.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

jcox07 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:32 pm Walter is forever missed.....My best moment was winning ESP at the Dixie event with a national champion in class and several heavy hitters as well. It rained out day 2 but with Mark and myself the only ones with new wets and Adam the only other one with wets but not close enough to catch Mark or myself. That was truly a awesome experience!
Yeah. That was a pretty killer run. :rockon:
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Scoob

Post by Scoob »

My favorite is from Summer Nationals at Blytheville 2013 when Kieran was on his A-game. During the Tour, with its long and exceptionally fast courses, I got the gearing right and Kieran pushed the kart hard. He improved every run and the announcer kept the energy up every time Kieran finished with yet another faster time. He was driving in JB but easily beat the JA times and ended up paxing 13th out of 213 for that event. I still occasionally watch those videos of people giving him high-fives and congratulating him after his last run. That's one of the reasons I love Blytheville so much, I think.
Scott Boito
#68 CAM-S C5 Z06
SEDIV SSS

BetterOffRacing
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

01badz28 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:30 pm
01badz28 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:11 pm 1. First time running at Comcast and realizing how over my head I was.

2. First time spinning the car (Rockwood PCA event).

3. Roaring down the straights at 411 at the top of third gear (including 360 degree spin in infield)

4. Breaking crap on course (blown P/S pump at Rockwood, blown motor at PSTCC).

5. First event with new motor, and coning every run.
6. Running Nashville Superspeedway, beating Tony Bolton.

7. Swapping cars with Walter and getting to compare our cars.

8. Finally getting to run a Corvette.

9. Lowering myself to driving a Mustang.

10. The brakes self bleeding going down the interstate.
Lowering yourself to drive a mustang huh...lol
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
steverife

Post by steverife »

Alright, I'll pick up where I left off with the other thread...

-2010 Blytheville. First real event in the CRX. Car slalomed so hard. I couldn't believe how fun it was. Maybe my all time favorite event. I finished 4th behind 3 multi-time champs. All downhill from there.

- Driving the S2000 with Jed was fun. Wilmington in that car with no seat time before was super fun.

- First trophy at Nats was special.

-Spring Nats this year was a blast. Beating Michael Ron and Bartek Borowski, but still finishing 6th of 12 at the Pro. Hotlapping the practice course for hours on Sun.

- Toledo Pro this year was a thrill. Mixing it up with Adam Norton, Michael Ron, and Eric Peterson. Having the fastest right side.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

Ya know, dad and a co worker ran AX back in the day 1968. I was ten and did not know why I did not have a kart. I left it alone for a long time. Pete went to be champ in road racing as well as solo as we know now in SCCA. I ran my first a/x at pelli. It was my birthday I sucked for first runs. Then came a tall guy in a white beard. he looked like Harry and the Henderson's snow man. he smiled a bunch. He told me every time I got a DNF. I had no clue. I listened and got it right and won my class at first A/X. I will never forget that.
Bob Colbert