racing letters

Discussions related to Solo
frosato

racing letters

Post by frosato »

I am running for the first time in March at Bristol. I am running novice solo. What letters do I need on my car other than numbers. I have seen NAS, NSTS and NXP. Thanks
Frank Rosato
MARKP

Re: racing letters

Post by MARKP »

In stock form, your STI is classed in BS. Running novice class, you will want NBS on the car.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Class letters should be half the size of the numbers, but at least four inches high, IIRC.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

Dewitt is correct. Minimum size for class is 4" high. Minimum for numbers is 8" high. I believe the minimum stroke width is 3/4" or something like that. Class comes before numbers, "NBS 12", for example.
Brian Robbins
XP 45
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Paging Gary Mitchell ~~!
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

The numbers and letters should be in a contrasting color to the car too. White on black or black on white is the ideal. Dark blue on black, which I have seen, is not good. Think about being able to read the number from halfway across the parking lot in bad light.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

steverife

Post by steverife »

Yup. Min of 4" for the class letters with a 3/4" stroke. Min of 8" for the class numbers with a 1.25" stroke. Class letters should be between 25% and 75% of the size of the numbers. If you buy from Gary or any of the common vendors, you don't have to worry about that, though. They'll take care of you.

Also, Dewitt makes a good point about contrast. For instance, I have a red car. I bought silver numbers and while no one gave me a hard time over them, they didn't look very readable in pictures. I replaced them with white numbers.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Paul's numbers are pretty good. Red is actually a dark color, but the white border increases the contrast. The one thing I don't like is the width of the stroke on the numbers. Bigger holes in the 8 and the 6 would, IMO, make the numbers a bit more readable. But that's something of a nitpick, especially when compared to some of the truly awful numbers I've seen both on the race track and at autocrosses.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

TedV

Post by TedV »

red and black are not contrasting colors ( sorry Paul) convert to a black and white photo and you will see what I mean.

work a position you have to write down the numbers and class of the car as it passes by at speed, and you will understand.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

No Ted… you need to finally get your eyes 👀 checked. Those red candy chrome over chrome are simply gorgeous. I haven't looked at anything in black and white since my family RCA TV in 1950. I wonder how many black cars run red numbers at solo events. Let it go.
Paul Breitweiser
TedV

Post by TedV »

No problem, you get to run the sound meter all of July 4th national weekend. :twisted: Glance at the car, get the number and class along with accurately read the meter. Working corners doing audit paperwork is easier.

Let me know if I still need to get my eyes checked after that.

something says you will be in agreement with me. :wink: :lol:
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

I'm in total agreement…. Glad that's over. :D
Paul Breitweiser
steverife

Post by steverife »

The nice thing is that if you have a dark car and you end up with numbers with poor contrast.... it is pretty easy to buy a magnetic sheet at AC Moore, stencil the current numbers, and end up with cheap white numbers.
TedV wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:13 pm Working corners doing audit paperwork is easier.
Maybe at Bristol. At every other national I've attended in recent years, working clipboard was utter chaos.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

That's because ETR rocks at putting on national events and has the right people in the right chiefs positions!! :D
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500