Feb 17th test n tune

Discussions related to Solo
michael.plaster

Re: Feb 17th test n tune

Post by michael.plaster »

Challenger wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:10 am Looks like the weather is taking a turn on us. I'm seeing anywhere between 50-70% chance of rain :/ Guess I'll get to test those BFGs in the wet.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
What size did you go with?
Michael Plaster
69 Corvette
Challenger

Post by Challenger »

michael.plaster wrote:
Challenger wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:10 am Looks like the weather is taking a turn on us. I'm seeing anywhere between 50-70% chance of rain :/ Guess I'll get to test those BFGs in the wet.

What size did you go with?
315/30/18

Steve Vrooman
2016 Dodge Challenger CAM C
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Steve,

The Rival S is a lot better in the wet than the original Rival, but it's still not very good. At last year's event when it was wet, the people who were going fast were on Continental ExtremeContact DW or Michelin Pilot Sport tires. Of course when it started to dry out, they didn't go any faster.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
Challenger

Post by Challenger »

dewittpayne wrote:Steve,

The Rival S is a lot better in the wet than the original Rival, but it's still not very good. At last year's event when it was wet, the people who were going fast were on Continental ExtremeContact DW or Michelin Pilot Sport tires. Of course when it started to dry out, they didn't go any faster.
Yea I'd heard it wasn't too good and worse than the RE71s. I am contemplating getting something to put on my 19" wheels to use in the rain and/or driving around town. Just don't want to spend $300/tire.

Steve Vrooman
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I have Conti Extreme Contact Sports for rains. They replaced the DW as the go-to. The Michelin's are texa$
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

For a summer tire/autocross rain tire I have a set of ExtremeContact Sport 285/35/19 on 19x9.5 inch rims. They're currently about $250/tire at Tire Rack. For winter and general travel, I have a set of 245/45/19 ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires on the OEM 19x8.5 inch rims. That's the OEM tire size. They don't have the grip of the summer Sport tires, but they get significantly better gas mileage than the wider and softer tires and you can drive on them when it's cold. They're currently less then $200/tire and are pretty good daily drive tires.

The ExtremeContact DW tires look like they've been discontinued. They're only available in one size.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Has anyone tried the BFG g-Force COMP-2 A/S for a rain tire?

I just put a set on Jess's Forester and they're really good in the wet and dry, but I haven't driven on the Conti's for comparision. We happened to have to pass through the dragon about 9pm one night during the week just after I put them on and they were pretty frickin' awesome for all season tires on a grocery-getter.
- Dave Disney
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

New oxygen sensors fixed my car. Hooray! Too late to sign up for the test and tune though. Boo!
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

The weather couldn't have been better, it was 78 degrees and a little windy toward the end of the event. Course was good but lot was a little dirty and was making gravel thru out the runs. All in all a good test n tune except for the miata hitting the curb. Look like we will have decent weather for our test n tune and I hope it holds on to be good weather. The GT500 was way better with working shocks. Looking forward to this season.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

The lot was making gravel as we ran so our test n tune at BMS will help get it dialed all the way in, but being on full soft on rear compression was very edgy and going up 5 clicks of compression dropped 2.3 seconds and felt much better. I hope to set up the 2017 match tour course for the test n tune if weather allows us to hold it so the ones that ran the match tour will have some data to go off of as far as times with the new changes vs. the old setup.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
Challenger

Post by Challenger »

Car felt a ton better and with a little more tweaking I think will be competitive this year. Can't wait to have some real comparisons against known competitors to see where it's at. Deonna got out after a couple runs with a big smile on her face and said she couldn't wait till Dixie because the car actually went where she wanted it to. I am going to have to get my timing back with the increased responsiveness or I'm gonna wind up defending that cone killer award....there's already too many scuffs on the sides...lol.

Steve Vrooman
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

you gonna have to get that hesitation cured. Have you thought back and decided exactly when it started and what lead up to it,if anything...
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
Challenger

Post by Challenger »

John Brown wrote:you gonna have to get that hesitation cured. Have you thought back and decided exactly when it started and what lead up to it,if anything...
Been trying to pick my brain and best I can recall first time I felt it was in Alabama. So I'm thinking it has something to do with changing the rear end the gearing but the conditions it happens under just don't make sense. I think after playing with it yesterday and seeing exactly what does/doesn't cause it I can avoid it now, but I do need to get rid of it. If you guys aren't terribly busy one afternoon let me know and I'll bring it buy and see if you guys have any ideas.

Steve Vrooman
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

jcox07 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:38 am The lot was making gravel as we ran so our test n tune at BMS will help get it dialed all the way in, but being on full soft on rear compression was very edgy and going up 5 clicks of compression dropped 2.3 seconds and felt much better. I hope to set up the 2017 match tour course for the test n tune if weather allows us to hold it so the ones that ran the match tour will have some data to go off of as far as times with the new changes vs. the old setup.
Too little rebound was my nemesis last year. I think it may have to do with the Watts Link and the high rear roll center (Watts Link propeller at the top of the range). That increases weight jacking, raising the rear when cornering and raising the roll center even more. Too little rebound makes that happen too fast, maybe. Now I understand why some Watts Links have the propeller attached to the axle rather than the chassis.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

Kinetic

Post by Kinetic »

jcox07 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:38 am The lot was making gravel as we ran so our test n tune at BMS will help get it dialed all the way in, but being on full soft on rear compression was very edgy and going up 5 clicks of compression dropped 2.3 seconds and felt much better. I hope to set up the 2017 match tour course for the test n tune if weather allows us to hold it so the ones that ran the match tour will have some data to go off of as far as times with the new changes vs. the old setup.
There’s going to be an ETR Test and Tune JY (if good weather)??
Kevin Lindley
'03 MR2 Spyder (blue) - ES 37