New Class Proposal -- Call for comments

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

not cbring wrote:[ It wouldn't save much money in the grand scheme of autocross, it'd just make people go slower.

I disagree, it would save a lot of money and make autocrossing more accessible to more people. Yeah, we'de be a little slower but we would all be a little slower.

215/45/16 street tire = $85
215/40/16 R-compound = $154

Nearly double the price assuming wear is pretty much equal. Every year for the rest of your driving life. In a short, 5 year run you would save $1,400. and that's if you only used one set a year.

For a single person, that's not that much money. If your married with children, it's down right selfish.
........ _____
........./____,\__
........(o)_l___(o)

'05 MINI Cooper S
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

sean wrote:I'm not complaining about the rules, I actually think it makes it more interesting to have to work around them. On that note, I do like what I've seen with NASA's system of awarding points for each individual mod and bumping cars up based on that.
I like the NASA rules also. The SCCA could class stock cars in much the same way. It makes a lot of sense, so it's out of the question. :roll:
........ _____
........./____,\__
........(o)_l___(o)

'05 MINI Cooper S
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

CABoegemann wrote: It makes a lot of sense, so it's out of the question. :roll:
Have I told you lately that I loved you. :P :lol: 8) :D :wink:
steverife

Post by steverife »

CABoegemann wrote: Nearly double the price assuming wear is pretty much equal. Every year for the rest of your driving life. In a short, 5 year run you would save $1,400. and that's if you only used one set a year.
That's about one travel event per year.

For big tire cars, performance street tires cost more than DOT R's.

There is also more market for used race tires. I recently bought six V700's with lots of tread left for $120.

I'd probably agree with you more if I didn't like GRIP so much. :P
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

TonyBolton wrote:
CABoegemann wrote: It makes a lot of sense, so it's out of the question. :roll:
Have I told you lately that I loved you. :P :lol: 8) :D :wink:
:oops: I wuv woo 2.
........ _____
........./____,\__
........(o)_l___(o)

'05 MINI Cooper S
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

There ya go Rife!!!
see this is what I dont understand bout "the street tire dudes"

We spend every dime nickle and penny to go faster,not to mention the $$ you will spend to get lighter...wich does what????? makes us faster...

Then what do you fight for???????????? A little cheeper tire thats gonna do what................ yea thats right...SLOW you down. :roll:

I enjoy this sport for many reasons,but one major reason is G-forces!!
Its hard enuff to go from slicks to DOT tires,but that gap is getting closer and closer. But to run on "street tires" no way man...that would just take all the fun factor out of it to me.

And...how long do you think "street tire" class would last?? well untill somebody came out with the "best" street tire...yep it's a 600 treadwear that feels like an R compound tire.And guess what...it cost 200 apiece. :?

Its called motorsports.............it cost money to be a part of it.
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
TonyBolton

Post by TonyBolton »

John Brown wrote:I enjoy this sport for many reasons,but one major reason is G-forces!!
Its hard enuff to go from slicks to DOT tires,but that gap is getting closer and closer. But to run on "street tires" no way man...that would just take all the fun factor out of it to me.
And I love you too! :P :D :) :o :lol: 8)

Street tires at autox..............thats like goin' to the drag strip without your nitrous! :twisted:
JAY

Post by JAY »

I don't like the paxed class for street tire cars. How many cars are actually going to be on Race rubber next year? I can only think of a few, and those guys are in the pro class. Come to think of it, how many did we have this year?
Jason Collett
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

Man, G-forces mean nothing to me compared to the compitition. If all you want is G-forces go to Dollywood and ride a rollercoaster. :roll:
........ _____
........./____,\__
........(o)_l___(o)

'05 MINI Cooper S
steverife

Post by steverife »

CABoegemann wrote:If all you want is G-forces go to Dollywood and ride a rollercoaster. :roll:
The course is too narrow and they won't let me drive. :cry:
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

WHOS UR COMPETITION CURT?
CABoegemann

Post by CABoegemann »

You, unless you go run AS or SM2 where nobody CAN beat you.
........ _____
........./____,\__
........(o)_l___(o)

'05 MINI Cooper S
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

JAY wrote:I don't like the paxed class for street tire cars. How many cars are actually going to be on Race rubber next year? I can only think of a few, and those guys are in the pro class. Come to think of it, how many did we have this year?
Hmm....is that for real???? Is the Pro class the only ones that use R tires?? I sure swap and install a bunch of r tirres for different people.

I just figured most people after about a year of fighting the car,went to R tires.....
jb
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

no..I meant in G-stock...
TedV

Post by TedV »

Can I get a regional only class for my Scirocco cause it’s not competitive nationally??

First thing I learned in SCCA speed cost money, how fast do you want to go?
Second, no good deed goes unpunished. If you are faster than others, you will be penalized unless you can wine and cry more than the others to keep your advantage.
Do we need to have 100 classes for all 100 folks who show up? How about we stop timing and comparing times to keep from scaring people off? I do feel a little bad for the new folks who show up and get the crap stomped out of them, but then everyone in Pro class were getting their butts kicked at one time. They had the tenacity and competitiveness to stick to it, learn to drive better and it pays off. Do we want to foster driving skill, and competition, or make people happy and give away trophies? If you want to spend money on bling bling goodies and drive on street tires check out NOPI, hell they even have girls in bikinis running around. To quote Randy Pobst on competing on street tires “It’s just not fun. Why do we race..? because it’s fun.” If I had never driven on grippy tires, I might say ok to only street tires. How long till Michelin or Pirelli come out with a street tire that blows the Azena away and to be up front you have to have it and spend just as much as R’s or more? Some are more expensive now anyway. That is how DOT R tire wars started years ago. The original DOT R tires are worse than performance street tires now. A street tired SP, P, or mod car will be at a disadvantage anyway to a stock car in a PAX only class because the PAX is set on tires with grip. Plus it’s more complex than the OS/OS2 in Nash. If people want to have fun on street tires, there are classes for them now. If they want to win, they have to step up to the national rules and learn to drive better.

I want G forces and competition. Nothing like a rollercoaster without the rails to guide ya. :twisted: Rant over.

No.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's