WTB cheap, reliable daily beater

Items Wanted, Forsale, or For Trade
TedV

WTB cheap, reliable daily beater

Post by TedV »

Dana's son has been driving the ole rallyX Neon since Dana couldn't drive any more. That is until yesterday when the coolant decided to wizz out the exhaust. Headgasket is done blown up. :( :cry: :( There is a possibility we can slap a headgasket and whatever else it needs on it quick like. Might take a little bit as it looks like stores no longer stock major parts for 20 year old beaters and will need to order in some parts.

So... faster way to get him back to commuting to work would be another beater car with known history in the cheap $2K range. He can drive a manual and I prefer him to get a manual as most automatics in that range are on their way to blown up autotragic tranny. He has sent a message to the Protege5 listed on CL. Body size Cody is larger than Chris Harp so no, Miata is not the answer. Think Tommy Boy, "Fat guy in a little coat". No offense Chris, I said he is larger than you.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
RxCritical

Re: WTB cheap, reliable daily beater

Post by RxCritical »

TedV wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:37 am Body size Cody is larger than Chris Harp so no, Miata is not the answer. Think Tommy Boy, "Fat guy in a little coat". No offense Chris, I said he is larger than you.
Chris is NOT large. He is big boned. RE: http://etrscca.org/etrsccaforum/viewtop ... f45403715c

:mrgreen:
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
TedV

Post by TedV »

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Not gonna touch that one.. :|
Ted V.
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

TedV wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:12 pm :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Not gonna touch that one.. :|
No body wants to
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)
TedV

Post by TedV »

Neon replaced with Protege5. Still trying to figure out an 02 Altima that may be blowed up or bad sensors.

Anyone want a "Some assembly required" kick-@ss rallyX Neon?
Ted V.
FrankF

Post by FrankF »

Are you still looking for a $2k beater. I have a 2004 Mazda6 wagon manual with 162,000 miles that I am selling. Ascetically it is not in the best shape (many paint chips), but it runs great. It needs a cat (i've driven it for over a year while needing it with no issue), and recently the airbag light came on. Interior is in pretty good shape. Let me know and I can take some pics for you!
Frank Forcino
2019 Miata
TedV

Post by TedV »

Doh! Cody just picked up a 2003 Protege5 5spd with 157k on the clock. The Altima driver needs to be automatic. It looks like it sucked the precat back into the motor. Looking like a JDM motor swap for $600-800 is gonna happen to it.

Thanks tho
Ted V.
Nick2500cd

Post by Nick2500cd »

What year is the Altima? It sucks that they all have that darned pre-cat... Had that happen to a co-worker too.
Nick/Thorne Browning
'98 Civic HX
TedV

Post by TedV »

Altima is a 2002. Compression test gave 0,0,70,20 psi. Leakdown test with line pressure at 90psi, regulator wide open but the flow lost was too much to let it get to 100psi, cylinder gauge was at 0 to 10psi and with hose going into cylinder 4, air was coming out spark plugs and 1. Cylinder 2 and 3 were loaded with oil and the cylinder walls looked a little scratched but didn't look horrible. In the boroscope. Timing chain is missing part of the plastic slide guide up top, couple of links are tight, don't straighten out. All the bolts I've touched are either less than finger tight or "OMG TOO TIGHT will this break as I try to remove it?"

I type all that so I can procrastinate getting back to pulling the motor. :lol:
Ted V.
Nick2500cd

Post by Nick2500cd »

That's not good at all! Sounds like someone's been tinkering with it.. I haven't worked on an Altima, but I have done an engine on a 02 Sentra Se-r, same 2.5l if I recall correctly. Fun engine! Have to drop it out the bottom on the Sentra it won't fit out the top unless you're really really careful! I went and got a junkyard motor from an Altima, put it in.. oh boy. The Sentra had a blown head gasket and that altima engine was burning so much oil it was a darned smoke screen!! Turned around parked it took it right back out! Ended up buying a wreck 03 Sentra and Se-r and swapped the two. Luckily pull a part has a 30 day warranty. I wish I understood how to do pictures, I would post them. Also, if you pull the transmission too (at least on the Sentra) watch out there are two black plugs, right next to each other, mark them!! They will plug into each other, ones the speed sensor for the output shaft and another is a speed sensor for something.. if you mix them up, it'll shift through the gears once, but once you stop it'll be stuck in 1st (or second I think) limp mode! I thought my transmission was going out too. Lord I was so happy I figured that one out. I love procrastination too, I have an 07 and 08 Altima I'm working on doing basically the same thing too.
Nick/Thorne Browning
'98 Civic HX
TedV

Post by TedV »

It is confirmed the Altima sucked parts of the precat back into the motor. I definitely will do a leak down test and inspect with boroscope any motor before I put it in. It's an automatic so it supposed to be easier to pull it out the top and leave the trans I car. Just push torque converter back.
Ted V.