Motorsports Reg crashed

Discussions related to Solo
TedV

Motorsports Reg crashed

Post by TedV »

It seems Motorsports Reg crashed promptly at 7pm tonight.

I wonder why??

dang Russians!! :fight:
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
Challenger

Re: Motorsports Reg crashed

Post by Challenger »

Next year a $10 fee will be added if you want to register on the day it opens. [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Steve Vrooman
2016 Dodge Challenger CAM C
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

It sucks that it happened, but from working in the industry, it's amazing that any of this stuff is as reliable as it is.

Funny story - my company used to handle the Denny's website. Well, one year, Denny's advertised a free Grand Slam if you visit their site and get a coupon or something - DURING THE SUPER BOWL. Now this was in the early-ish days of the internet, and as you can imagine, the website promptly died due to capacity.

That said, there are ways to handle registration that would not be so impactful. I'm not sure if it's a tiered system or not, but you could certainly work it like a voting line. Last names A-D get a window and so on. The other thing is, these days, with on demand hosting capacity, they should be able to find the horsepower to keep the site alive if the application was set to work with something like Azure so it would spin up another instance should it reach max connections. Sounds simple, but there is indeed a whole hell of a lot of work to make an application and an environment scale like that. And I am convinced that even the brightest folks in those areas still don't have it to a perfect science. But at around 4% transaction fee, and handling most of the racing world's online registration, MSR is making a pile of money on processing alone.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

Wish I could just see an entry list.

I never could even get to the msr homepage last night.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I still don't understand why they don't go to a tiered system on more of these events, especially nationals. Oh, and you have to qualify by going to... national or divisional events.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

I can tell errrrrrone that Mike Cobb was very upset when the word got back to him that msr crashed and was on the phone immediately with their MSR rep chewing some butt pretty heavily. Now it didn't fix the issue but I think the message got conveyed to fix the problem or they would find someone else to handle their business.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
steverife

Post by steverife »

What a stupid waste of a good chunk of (another one of) my night(s).
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Took me 45 seconds...
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
steverife

Post by steverife »

John Brown wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:38 am Took me 45 seconds...
Some people got in right at 7.

I tried at 7 and couldn't get the page to load, had to take care of some things, tried again maybe around when you did and it still took 30+ minutes. It was frozen at 11xx, so I was starting to fear that it'd fill.

And I didn't dare fool with paddock or scrolling for a work assignment because every page was taking minutes.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
TedV

Post by TedV »

Be glad you didn't fool with paddock. There was "an issue with paddock" and some folks were slapped on waitlist like Chris, Randy and myself. As someone else mentioned, glad they charged extra to get the paddock registration sorted out :roll:
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

Between all the headaches and extra money grabbing, i wonder at what point will Nats just cease to be worth the trouble.
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

I'm getting to that point. If I was competitive it night be a different story. Might be moving in to time trials next year and track days
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Really needs to be divided into two things - event critical registration (Class/Car/Work)

Then a separate registration for all the other crap like banquets, paddock, and asking me if I'd like to subscribe to the stupid Tire Rack Newsletter.

Also, it would probably be helpful if MSR went to a single page registration. Right now, I think it's 3 or 4 pages to complete registration. So, every time you advance forward, that's a connection to the server. Obviously, this doesn't matter if the application is built to scale across servers in a cloud environment, but my guess is that's not the case, and they just tried to get the fastest box they could for last nights (almost) meltdown.

If I were king, half the classes would have their official championship during summer nats, the other half during the regular window. Creates some complications with the pro solo finale, but pro people gonna find a way to pro. With the demand that they currently have, I think this would be the only way to accommodate more drivers.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

thrdeye wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:10 am Really needs to be divided into two things - event critical registration (Class/Car/Work)

Then a separate registration for all the other crap like banquets, paddock, and asking me if I'd like to subscribe to the stupid Tire Rack Newsletter.

Also, it would probably be helpful if MSR went to a single page registration. Right now, I think it's 3 or 4 pages to complete registration. So, every time you advance forward, that's a connection to the server. Obviously, this doesn't matter if the application is built to scale across servers in a cloud environment, but my guess is that's not the case, and they just tried to get the fastest box they could for last nights (almost) meltdown.

If I were king, half the classes would have their official championship during summer nats, the other half during the regular window. Creates some complications with the pro solo finale, but pro people gonna find a way to pro. With the demand that they currently have, I think this would be the only way to accommodate more drivers.
A single page would be super nice. I kept stalling or getting logged out at different points. I'm sure it would have went better for me if I weren't trying to use my phone inside a giant building. But when trying to balance work life and personal life and knocking out errands/chores when I can, what do you do?

Also, people kind of suck. It seems like a non-insignificant number of people with no intentions of registering or even going were F5'ing the entry list just to try to watch the world burn.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
benk

Post by benk »

Buck05Sti wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:56 am Between all the headaches and extra money grabbing, i wonder at what point will Nats just cease to be worth the trouble.
Did nats once, won't be back. If I'm trying to drop nats coin on racing then i'd rather get into track. My last nats experience was not what I'd call enjoyable.

That being said. Capacity can be an issue, and a very expensive one to address.
Ben Keefer
2011 WRX : STH