Need to put these contacts to use - job hunting

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
ConeEater

Need to put these contacts to use - job hunting

Post by ConeEater »

OK,

So Kim lost her job today due to the downturn. She works in the engineering field for architectural firms doing electrical design. Think lighting/ power etc... doing large plants and facilities.

If anyone here is in a similar field and knows someone who's hiring, we could use the help. She was there 23 years and this was the last thing we expected today.

Thanks in advance.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
RxCritical

Re: Need to put these contacts to use - job hunting

Post by RxCritical »

Sorry to hear that. What is Kim's degree in?
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

she's got an associates degree from Pelli in drafting/design I believe. I know it's from PSCC but not sure the exact degree.
Brian Huber
Scalded Snail Racing
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

Have her look on the Y12 website frequently for positions. New positions added all the time. ORNL frequently posts jobs also. Different contractor and website from us. Also have her look at Bechtel as they are the contractor building the Uranium Processing facility (UPF) on the Y12 site. Which is a $6.5 Billion multi year construction project. That's billion with a B! :D
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
TedV

Post by TedV »

For the X10 side if the hill, Bethel Valley ORNL, and Hardin Valley look at jobs( dot ) ornl ( dot ) gov

There is a reorg happening so there are lots of positions posted.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Thanks to both of you!
Brian Huber
Scalded Snail Racing
steverife

Post by steverife »

UCOR is another. They do a lot of work at Y12 that includes electrical scope and they are doing the demo/cleanup at ETTP.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Thanks Steve, I'll let her know.
Brian Huber
Scalded Snail Racing
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

It's crazy when you put Electrical designer in the search thing for ORNL/Y12 and so on...

Get all kinds of crazy stuff that is WAYYYY outside her wheelhouse and half of it we can't even tell if it's real or they just make the names up to see how crazy you are to apply...lol

She signed up for a Virtual job fair in Oak Ridge for tomorrow. I think it's some acronym like NSSP or NSPP or something. Her Ex's wife ( who also works up there somewhere ) got her the lead on that one.

She's handling this really well.... job hunting in today's market when you've been somewhere for 24 years is tough.
Brian Huber
Scalded Snail Racing
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

steverife wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:21 am UCOR is another. They do a lot of work at Y12 that includes electrical scope and they are doing the demo/cleanup at ETTP.
Steve, From what she has found, they don't have any open spots, but told her to put her resume in anyway. She didn't know that place by that name, but she knows the company. Turns out I think her old place was doing work for them on the electrical side.
Brian Huber
Scalded Snail Racing
steverife

Post by steverife »

ConeEater wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:10 pm It's crazy when you put Electrical designer in the search thing for ORNL/Y12 and so on...

Get all kinds of crazy stuff that is WAYYYY outside her wheelhouse and half of it we can't even tell if it's real or they just make the names up to see how crazy you are to apply...lol

She signed up for a Virtual job fair in Oak Ridge for tomorrow. I think it's some acronym like NSSP or NSPP or something. Her Ex's wife ( who also works up there somewhere ) got her the lead on that one.

She's handling this really well.... job hunting in today's market when you've been somewhere for 24 years is tough.
What you describe doesn't really line up with any resource that I've used.

You have your electrical engineer doing the design. Then you have an electrical field engineer inputting on design, reviewing the Certified for Construction docs (called Issue For Construction), submitting work packages and change requests, and then you have a craft electrician doing the sketching.

Not sure if field engineer requires an engineering degree or that is outside her wheelhouse, but that is a very good job.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

In my expereence as far as structural engineering goes, YES... you need to have a degree in your field to be out in the field.

Yes, she's one of the people MAKING the IFC sets that the EOR will markup and she prepares the dwgs for submittal to the customer/local gov/whatever for permits and all that.

I like to use the term Design Draftsman. They work under the P.E/R.E in that they go thru plans and mark up the specs for what needs to go in and the basic "all panels go here, all switches.... blah blah blah" and she would go thru the building, place lights where needed based on the lighting requirements ( she'd do the calcs to figure out how many lights of a certain size need to be there ), figuring out where to run cable trays for lines, run to sub stations on site.... and so on.

Basically, she is the person doing the actual 3D model of the building on the electrical side of things and takes the engineers requirements and makes it all connect, make the tables, schedules and everything that you'd see on a set of electrical design dwgs. On top of that, she was a BIM coordinator and also part of their CAD standards team that set up all the protocols for setting up the project's drawings and HOW the files were to be set up and stored for the entire project.
Brian Huber
Scalded Snail Racing
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

TedV wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:00 am For the X10 side if the hill, Bethel Valley ORNL, and Hardin Valley look at jobs( dot ) ornl ( dot ) gov

Looked at their site... if you don't have some kind of engineering degree, Ph.D,, Doctorate and so on, I don't see anything there. At least nothing in the titles even are remotely something that she could work into.

She was on a virtual job fair this morning for one of the places up there and it was more of the same. Looking for team leaders/managers and so on and have to have degrees in those fields and such. Even the skilled trade section was out of reach from what I can tell.

Think to even have an idea of what she could qualify for up in that area we'd need to know someone that knows her skillset and them say "I know this is not what you did, but you are right for this job"
Brian Huber
Scalded Snail Racing
TedV

Post by TedV »

ConeEater wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:34 am
TedV wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:00 am For the X10 side if the hill, Bethel Valley ORNL, and Hardin Valley look at jobs( dot ) ornl ( dot ) gov

Looked at their site... if you don't have some kind of engineering degree, Ph.D,, Doctorate and so on, I don't see anything there.
there is a reason I mentioned the re-organization. I had a feeling there would be 50-million postings. There also is the Second Target being worked on. They will sometimes write the job requirement for a particular someone in mind. They have to have 3 people interview for the position. I was the odd man out on a few interview rounds wondering why they even called me in to interview. I realized it and used it as interview experience. If you look at the fine print, years of experience count. Even if she doesn't have the MD or PHD, it doesn't cost anything to send in a resume if everything fits but the schooling degree. I admit the job market kinda sucks beyond belief at the moment.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Thanks Ted,
There's really nothing there that she'd be able to apply for given her background. I know there's the UPF construction going on, but as an example... her former company was the team doing the design work on it. The last 10 years, she's basically been working on the mfg side of things..

New Mercedes van plant in SC, VW plants, Mercedes new battery plant, multiple tire facilities and even locally the lifetime products plant in Maryville.

I think if there was something even remotely where she would say "I can apply there" she would. Right now she's a bit lacking confidence and she'd not look at it as interview experience as much as "See... no one wants someone like me".
Brian Huber
Scalded Snail Racing