Event #4

Discussions related to Solo
djrogers1

Event #4

Post by djrogers1 »

Great event today at BMS! Seven runs for most people but I got nine because of back-to-back reruns. It took three runs for me to get a valid time on run #3. The first was 83 seconds, the second was 20 seconds. The third was 62....in line with the previous two valid runs.

By the way, when I was packing up, I found a number "5" magnet near where the tech table was set up. It has a gold background with a black number. I think it might belong to the 2014 Porsche Cayman S that was beside me in the paddock. I will bring it with me to Event #5. If it's yours, look for my green 2016 Mustang GT.
Dave Rogers
2006 Porsche Cayman S #13
2011 Porsche Cayman S #13
2016 Mustang GT #3
2018 BMW 340i X-drive #3
2022 Mustang Mach 1 #3
thrdeye

Re: Event #4

Post by thrdeye »

Thought today's event was going to be an extremely long day but luckily things went faster in the second group.

I'd suggest to avoid today's 7 run confusion that we just go ahead and officially say that the max number of competition runs will be 6, with the possibility of decreasing to 4 or 5 should something cause a slow event (weather, weird course overlap, etc). 2.5 hours is way too long for a heat.

Glad to see something a bit different from the course. Disapprove of those finish cones though. Easy to hit wit them being a pretty hard offset and cause false finish trips when getting reset. I suggest we just do triple cones immediately before or after the lights instead of trying to aim the laser between the two up right ones.

Other than that, just speaking for myself...the 4.25 hours round-trip is getting to be a grind. Nothing we can do about it, of course.

Trailer is a mess btw.

Question- do passenger still have to go through the weekend membership thing and fill out a form? Guess I need to read up on that.

Otherwise can't ask for much better days autocrossing, except to find another .450 of a second. The Yokohama feel good grip wise but very vague with feedback and are impossible to keep cool.

Thanks to everyone that did a lot of work to make it happen.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

What about doing the 6 runs for each heat and at the end, if there's 'time' have 30-60 mins of fun runs for $1 a run? That way the people that want more time get it and the region brings in a few bucks?

I was going to swing by on my way back from PA to say hello, but figured everyone would be packing up about then ( maybe 2:30 ish ).
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
steverife

Post by steverife »

It was fun to get out and get some runs and get a chance to play with shocks. It would have been nice to have a reward after the slalom, but I'm just happy to get a slalom. I thought the course was really challenging.

As far as fun runs, we did them pretty frequently when our core lived close to our sites. And even then, they kind of stank for the people that had to be there.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

As far as Fun Run's go, we have offered them a couple of times last year but it didn't work out. Most of the people that wanted to do them just wanted to run them but not work them. Plus it made for a long clean up time for those staying afterwards when you have far less people to pick up cones and load the trailer. Most people after a long and hot day just want to start their 2 hour drive home.
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Glad most liked the course.
Chris, the next variation of that design will be a straight finish after the salom.
Rife, Reward? you mean a fast straight after the salom ends? or a separate faster transitional element after it ends?
7 runs? I heard that was ALL Randy.. LOL! but, I'm not a fan. After I'm there at 630-7am sitting up, after 4-5 I'm ready to hit the road!
Paul, exactly. You'll have 4-5 drivers want the core clean up crew to hang out even longer than they should.
I like the Type R on good tires.. dead tires... not so much.

I'm ready to get back in my big ass POWERFUL car !
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

I tend to get sloppy and don't improve after four runs. Since I had somewhere else I needed to be, I left after my fourth run. The shade at the starting line was nice for my work shift.

I liked the course to drive. Some people thought it was confusing when viewed from the start, but once you got on the course it was obvious where you needed to go next. The problem was that the design of the course made it impossible to have three cars on the course for more than the few seconds. Usually as a starter, I just need to pay attention to the car that just started, but for this course, I often had to wait until the car that was heading to the finish was at the start of the finish slalom.
Other than that, just speaking for myself...the 4.25 hours round-trip is getting to be a grind. Nothing we can do about it, of course.
I have to admit it's really nice to only have to drive 20 minutes each way instead of two hours. It's also the only way I can continue to compete at this point. Even Smokies is too far.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
steverife

Post by steverife »

John Brown wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:16 am
Rife, Reward? you mean a fast straight after the salom ends? or a separate faster transitional element after it ends?
Anything that would let you actually carry throttle through the end of the slalom. Even an extra 75 feet before the turnaround would have made that course a LOT more fun for me.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

steverife wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:22 am
Anything that would let you actually carry throttle through the end of the slalom. Even an extra 75 feet before the turnaround would have made that course a LOT more fun for me.
.. I agree, it would have. However the car approaching the finish salom would have to dodge a lot of on coming cars.. :)
Next version.. longer throttle time in first salom! *noted
:)
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
EliseAutoXr

Post by EliseAutoXr »

Great event everyone! Thanks for all the hard (hot) work. Fun course as well!
Bradley Allen
STM 7
06 Lotus Elise (some stock)
steverife

Post by steverife »

John Brown wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:09 pm
steverife wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:22 am
.. I agree, it would have. However the car approaching the finish salom would have to dodge a lot of on coming cars.. :)
Next version.. longer throttle time in first salom! *noted
:)
I absolutely loved the speed of entry and the spacing. I feel bad for those of us that don't have a car that lets them love slaloms. 8)
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

I thought that slalom was one of the best features of the course. Having the first cone of the slalom (or the last cone of the entry sweeper) slightly offset lined the car up perfectly for the rest of the slalom. The spacing seemed to be good even for my Mustang on not very sticky tires.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
trucke

Post by trucke »

Had a lot of fun! Thank you to all who gave my daughter, Hannah, rides! She loved it!

BTW, the Type R will have fresh tires at the next event. Sorry John!
Art 'trucke' Truckenbrodt
#41 Civic Type R