New/serious racer-Do you need help?

Items Wanted, Forsale, or For Trade
MARKP

Re: help for racer

Post by MARKP »

Gordon wrote:I fly quite a bit and teach some, it is in boring planes that don't fly upside down.
That is awesome. I love aerobatics. That's probably the only other thing I would like to do besides auto racing.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
TedV

Post by TedV »

Not TMI. You were racing before my time. I didn’t start hanging out at the race track till the early/mid 90’s doing track side service for Hoosier until last year. From which I met the Nobles, Jim Kerney, Steve Oseth. I remember hearing a story about someone landing on Rd Alt. Times were more relaxed then I guess. Now, Don P. will get pissed if you drive across a curb and his grass with an amphibious 6x6 ATV. :roll: Working the races I wasn’t able to race. I’ve changed jobs and am working towards getting back to having fun. Not sure what is a better bang for the buck.. racing or flying... Hope to meet you at the meeting.

Oh… and .. uuuh… what all do you know about Lola 340 FF?? 8) I know John Robinson II and James Lee down in S. Fl, but they are down in S. Fl. The commute sucks.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
4Davey

Post by 4Davey »

So Gordon, have you changed your mind about adopting Curt? :P Sounds like Chris may have another instructor for the school coming up. :lol:
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Steve-O
Teaching both can be arranged. Flying is an expensive hobby but it seems quite inexpensive after racing. The good thing is that airplanes all go up in price so you often make money when you sell.
It appears from the photo you run a Benz. I had a 190-16 valve from Europe and drove it a couple of years before converting it to U.S. specs and selling it. I've had several Porsches and that Benz was comparable to all but my last one. Few people have a clue what a hot machine that car was-especially before conversion emasculated it. What a "sleeper".
Gordon W.
Kingston, Tn.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

TedV-
Sorry I don't know anything specific to help with the Lola. I'm too long removed from serious racing to know about specific cars in recent years. I'll be glad to discuss with you my views on how to select the right car in the class you desire to race in. But that's not the first step in the decision process in my view. Lots of incorrect and/or poorly considered decisions made in this selection process in my opinion.
Too much discussion to type-I would have to write a book-so will look forward to meeting you.
I will pass on one of my cardinal rules:
Pay absolutely no attention to anyone that doesn't run consistently with the front pack.
To even participate in discussions about going fast with people that don't go fast is like picking up your financial advice in the hall outside bankruptcy court.
Gordon W.
Kingston, Tn.
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Gordon wrote:Steve-O
Teaching both can be arranged. Flying is an expensive hobby but it seems quite inexpensive after racing. The good thing is that airplanes all go up in price so you often make money when you sell.
It appears from the photo you run a Benz. I had a 190-16 valve from Europe and drove it a couple of years before converting it to U.S. specs and selling it. I've had several Porsches and that Benz was comparable to all but my last one. Few people have a clue what a hot machine that car was-especially before conversion emasculated it. What a "sleeper".

You had one of the Cossies?! :shock: A 2.5?!? Or the 2.3? I'd LOVE to find a 16v. I actually know of a GREAT one for sale right now... but I don't have the money. I'm a member of a huge online community about the 190Es. A few of the Euro guys actually have the EvoIIs. Only 502 of those ever made. Michael Schumacher actually did a review of one back when he drove for Benetton. I'd sell a kidney for a 2.5-16!
Stephen Wilson

Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Mine was the 2.3 and it was awesome. I never drove a 2.5. Mine did some cruising well in excess of 100MPH and it was as
solid at 100-110MPH as at 70MPH. Above 110 it got a little light but never scary.
Gordon W.
Kingston, Tn.
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Best I've touched is 138. Long stretch of nothin somewhere between Indy and South Dakota at about 3 AM. I'd love to find a Cossie. I'm even more envious now. Actually that car is the reason that BMW made the M3 in the first place. To compete with the 2.3-16. God, I love those Cossies. You just earned 50 more respect points. Not that you needed any more....
Stephen Wilson

valleyvwman

Post by valleyvwman »

Hi Gordon...we talked on the phone. Seems like you're definitely NOT a stranger here. I told you there was an awesome group of folks here...glad to have you with us and I look forward to meeting you in person.
Greg Fetner
Lou Don, TN
'87 944 E/S
'86 944 turbo F'N/Mod
assorted others

Daddy was a mechanic...It would have been nice if he was a doctor, but, then, we probably would have been 'sick' all the time instead of wrenchin' on these cars...