mixing shock brands - bad idea?

Discussion of anything that doesn't fall into the Solo II and RallyX Categories
mrsoul55

mixing shock brands - bad idea?

Post by mrsoul55 »

My car greatly benefits from very stiff rear shocks. I asked a while back on a Civic specific board about putting Konis (maybe revalved) in the rear while leaving the fronts stock or going with a different brand than Koni (slightly stiffer than stock but pretty inexpensive). I was told I was dumb for even thinking such a thing! Anyway, the thought has been resurrected by someone else and now people are saying it may work. What do you guys think? Is it generally a bad idea to mix different brands?
'02 Civic Si
HS #96
TedV

Post by TedV »

hmmm, generaly the shock valving is different front to rear, so it could work just fine. I can see how having different shocks side to side on the same axle could be an issue. Only way to know is try it.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
valleyvwman

Post by valleyvwman »

I agree with Ted...side to side would/could be a problem. We put new Konis on the front of our car and a used set of Bilstiens on the rear. I drive the car daily and have noticed no issues. I've replaced the front shocks only on many of my cars over the years with no ill effects.
Greg Fetner
Lou Don, TN
'87 944 E/S
'86 944 turbo F'N/Mod
assorted others

Daddy was a mechanic...It would have been nice if he was a doctor, but, then, we probably would have been 'sick' all the time instead of wrenchin' on these cars...